Capitalism and Spirituality

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
DWBH1953

Re: Capitalism and Spirituality

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:31 pm

eagle2phoenix wrote:Most people in business are in the "ripping the people off". Whether Bill Gates is unethical or illegal, I know not and I care not. But he has contributed to the development of the internet as it is today. BTW I use Google Chrome but my laptop operates on Vista which came preloaded.

Look at the so called Michelin class restaurants and cafes. Pay premium dollar to eat there? It is a sin but some people can afford it. However, the chefs seem to be so focused on how they prepare the meal, they seem to be in the now. People who eat there tend to eat in silence, enjoying the taste of good food. They seem present. Vs a small eatery - the cook is busy thinking about repaying his loan, shouting at his staff, hurrying to finish cooking, a lot on his mind. The people eating there are talking on the phone, smoking, swallowing the food without chewing properly.

Feng shui masters - are they using spirituality in capitalism or is it the other way around?

Love & Light, still confused
The founder of the Hard Rock Cafes are really my idols a lot of money and they have done a lot of spiritual good for the world. I tried Google Chrome but I really like Firefox.
I do not know of the Michelin places but living in Ojai and also Santa Monica CA I know what you mean by well prepared food..very yummy..but then again you have the mad man of Hells Kitchens I would not call his kitchen a quiet peaceful place at all yet he turns out great food! Life is just a paradox in so many ways!
Nice to meet you
Cheers
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

innerpeace2u

Post by innerpeace2u » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 am

have to qualify your statement on rewards. In the capitalist system, the rewards scale seems to be in inverse proportion to usefulness to society
I fully agree that usefulness of a good in society does not necessarily equate to a higher price. You could even use the example of oxygen or water as an example. Without it we would not exist, yet it is free. When you talk about entertainment, many would argue that superstar sports stars signing multimillion dollar contracts is skewed as well. However, I wouldn't go so far to say a roadsweeper provides a greater service than a banker. Exceptions are in every case, like if the sweeper was providing kindness and compassion, and the banker was a thief, then there is no question who provides the better service.

When it comes to object clutter, I would also agree. I think using money to travel is of better use. When we expose ourselves to new environments, it can perhaps aid is moving us to the present perhaps?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:01 am

In nature, we wee the survival of the fittest in both inter-species and intra-herd competition for natural resources. We also see a hierarchy form within the species, and within a herd or community of individual animals. These observations could have been made for centuries before man appeared.

So is man's ego his best tool for survival within human society? Is capitalism the natural extension of the competitive way of nature? Is the ego the last link to our phylogenic origins and is it now becoming vestigial? Is the New Earth the final glory of Source's playground of lila in maya? Are the gamepieces waking up to play with the intelligence of Source, seeing past the old tools of ego and competition?

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

+Jim+

Post by +Jim+ » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:59 am

Capitalism is a word that can mean many things to many different people.
If you take it in the simplest form, it's where individuals or groups get economic reward for a product or service that they sell.
At this level it makes sense.... If I have a field of watermelons and they ripen all in a small window of time, then I need income (money) that can be saved and used over the months when I have no product to sell.

But fear and greed have taken this sytem to extremes.
A tiny % of the world's population now owns a massive % of the world's wealth.

The CEO of a failing bank spent $35,000 on his private company bathroom.
$4 billion in bank bailout money was used to pay bonuses.

Earlier this year, the non-partisan Tax Policy Center found that McCain’s economic plan “would primarily benefit those with very high incomes.” In fact, under McCain’s plan, John and Cindy McCain would get a $300,000 tax break while middle class Americans would save only $319. The McCains would save $60,016 more under McCain’s tax plan than under Bush’s.

In India, a hotel chain buys a prime beachfront site and then using a deep bore-well depletes the water table so that local villagers have no fresh water remaining in their traditional wells.

Free market economics are distorted out of shape with subsidies and interest free loans.

The examples are just too many to list.

The largest proportion of many '1st world' countries GDP is created through money making money out of debt.
This latest bubble is in the process of collapsing.
Intellectual understanding is totally inadequate for meeting daily life.
It's like attempting to nourish yourself on the memory of yesterday's lunch!

http://simplyenlightening.wordpress.com/about/

goldenbirdies

Post by goldenbirdies » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:12 pm

+Jim+ wrote: fear and greed have taken this sytem to extremes.
A tiny % of the world's population now owns a massive % of the world's wealth.

The CEO of a failing bank spent $35,000 on his private company bathroom.
$4 billion in bank bailout money was used to pay bonuses.
Thanks Jim - you took the words right out of my mouth! Here in the UK the banks are also using bail-out money to pay bonuses...

I see no link between capitalism and spirituality, any more than I would between war and spirituality.

I remain re-assured, however, that everything on this planet is temporary !

Peace

David
David

Steal Softly through Sunshine, Steal Softly through Snow - Don Van Vliet

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: Bill Gates and your question: 'is he a teacher? I'd say yes.'

I couldn't agree more! To my mind, the best teachers are those who teach us by their good example.

'It has ever been true that our behaviour and our actions speak louder than words. They are what sorts the wheat from the chaff or the sheep from the goats, as St. Matthew 25:31-34, 41 tell us: ‘When the son of man comes in His glory and all His holy Angels with him, then he will sit upon the throne of His glory. And all nations will gather before Him; and He will separate them one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And He will set the sheep at his right, and the goats at His left. Then the King will say to those on His right: ‘Come, ye blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom which has been prepared for you from the foundation of the world.’ … Then he will also say to those at his left: ‘Go away from Me, you cursed, to the everlasting fire which is prepared for the adversary and his Angels.’

'The way I see it, that final sentence was given to our world through the Master Jesus for the benefit of our race in its spiritual infancy. That was all we could at that time understand and was intended to act as a deterrent until sufficient numbers of us would have found a new understanding of the nature of God and ourselves. This is now increasingly happening and many are becoming aware that the Universal Christ knows the way of all things and beings. As He loves the whole of His Creation totally and unconditionally, including His children of the Earth, He would never curse or condemn anyone, no matter how deep a soul may have fallen and how depraved it had become. He knows better than anyone else that, to come into its wholeness, every human soul must gather experiences of all state of being, before it can begin its journey back home into its true nature.'

From ‘Sorting the Sheep from the Goats’

http://www.leportaildelabd.com/wisdom/s ... ATS=#sheep

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com