Be Still and Know That I am God

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
eagle2phoenix

Be Still and Know That I am God

Post by eagle2phoenix » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:28 am

Be still and know that I am God. Sound familiar? That line is taken from the Bible. I found that out when I attended a Silent Retreat "Healing the Wounds of the Past" conducted by a Jesuit Priest, Father Philip Chircop from Toronto, Canada. He taught us a hymn of the same title as well.

I was just going through the notes taken down during the retreat and more rediscovery. Father Philip shares with us in a very new approach.
"God's preferred language is silence. All else is bad translation."
"When a great opportunity knocks on the door of your life, it is often no louder than the sound of your heartbeat. And it is so easy to miss it."
"God is the being whose centre is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere." ~ sounds like the Tao Te Ching and the Upanishads.
"Enter through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many go that way. How narrow is the gate that leads life and how rough the road; few there are who find it." ~ Matthew 7.
"God is always at home. Guess who went out for a walk." This one is so cool!
"The eye with which I see God is the same eye which God sees me." ~ Meister Eckhart
"The true you is who you are when no one is watching."
"Don't give up, you are loved." ~ Josh Groban's song
"Forgive and remember." Re-member ~ bring together what has been broken.
"God comes disguised as my life."
"Just show up and let prayer happen to you."
"Prayer is a long loving look at what is real."
"Sometimes to heal, do nothing. Step back."

So lovely. Love & Light

RCharles

Re: Be Still and Know That I am God

Post by RCharles » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:09 pm

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the Bible references. Ever since I started practicing Tolle, I have had many, many Bible verses come to mind but now with completely new interpretations. It's so clear to me that Jesus was teaching not only about salvation after death but also about how to live our lives with inner peace. He said explicitly, "My peace I give you," and so much of what he said focused on inner peace, but those Bible passages get little attention in mainstream Christianity. One of these days, I want to excerpt all of those passages into a compilation. I think we would be amazed at how much Jesus taught on the subject of inner peace.
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:22 pm

RCharles wrote:Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the Bible references. Ever since I started practicing Tolle, I have had many, many Bible verses come to mind but now with completely new interpretations. It's so clear to me that Jesus was teaching not only about salvation after death but also about how to live our lives with inner peace. He said explicitly, "My peace I give you," and so much of what he said focused on inner peace, but those Bible passages get little attention in mainstream Christianity. One of these days, I want to excerpt all of those passages into a compilation. I think we would be amazed at how much Jesus taught on the subject of inner peace.
Yes and where did that phrase I Am that I Am come from that you hear all the time in no duality circles. The Bible of course when Moses asked God at the burning bush what do I call you God replied. I am that I Am.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Know that I am God
Know that I am one with everything
Know that I am that which will never change
Could these thoughts be the most egoic thoughts on the planet?
Could they be so vastly egoic, that they help us get rid of all the other “smaller” egoic thoughts and eventually kill the ego?

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Dear Glycine,
Unlike you, I do not feel egoic about saying that I am a light being aka God because for a long time since I was a child, I knew it. I knew that God is everywhere, in everything, in everyone despite being raised a Catholic and going to a Convent from young when we were taught that our God is a punishing God, that we would go to hell if we did bad things. I had out of body experiences with my eyes wide open, like I was expanding outwards in a room looking down on my bodily self, all between ages 7 to being a teenager.

In knowing that I am Love and Light, I only want to radiate love and light. Jesus said " you too can be like me" and "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one goes to Father except through Me."

The "I" and the "me" here are stated with awareness. :wink:

Love & Light
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:24 pm

It's interesting how church leaders, past and present, use fear to keep their members in line, rather than inspiration and clarity to free them from ignorance. Consider the 10 "Commandments". THOU SHALT NOT KILL...STEAL...COVET...ETC... And then the burn in Hell if you stray.

But the earliest sciptures were not written this way. Originally there was a preface.

"If you have God in your heart"... thou shall not...kill, steal, covet, etc.

Consider how this changes a fear based warning into a loving, natural, cause and effect, guidance. No fear, no damanation, just a path to freedom.

WW

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Webwanderer,
From what I understand from a Canadian Jesuit Priest, Father Philip Chircop, the Catholic Church is changing (started with Pope John Paul II) slowly but surely. The younger generation of priests are trying very hard to evolve the church and the way it is communicated with people (since many Catholics no longer go to church because of disillusionment - me included. I stopped going to church some 25 years ago.) to keep up with the times. There is new interpretations of what is written in the Bible, translated from Latin (?), into today's language, to include meditation (previously called silent time). I reckon it will take quite a number of years to open up Rome's idea of the universal being who is in touch with their inner self (aka Light or god?).

As a born Catholic (mind speaking here), I look forward to the change. As who I am now, I remain in stillness.

Love & Light

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Thank you for an informative and insightful post, Webwanderer - I had no idea the earliest scriptures had a preface for the 10 Commandments!

One issue that I found very strange in the scriptures, and it used to bother me a lot, is the fact that we are promised things will change 180° in the afterlife. If it is so righteous to live in a certain way on earth, why would it be the opposite in the afterlife? If ALL of us are God's children, why would some be right and others wrong, and then switch "last" with "first" in the "eternal life"? If there is a "Kingdom of Heaven", it must be NOW and essentially the same for everyone/everything. I guess it's not easy to see/think through thousands of years of conditioning. However, I do feel that the thoughts listed in my post above can be dangerous for the brain/mind (even in the absence of a religious background).

All in all, any thought seems to be just another preoccupation keeping us identified with form.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:30 pm

One of the best things I ever did for myself was to drop the Bible, or for that matter any scripture, as an authority. It gave me the freedom to look for myself without deference to an external source. Religious texts are part of our culture and have significance due to the belief that they are inviolet and direct revelation from God, and the great numbers of people and institutions that hold them dear. Who are we to question God's word after all?

But in the short of it, some very falible people, with very specific agendas, had considerable input into the language of what "God" ultimately inspired into the final texts. This happened at all levels in their formation from the various translations to the choice of what was deemed worthy of inclusion.

That being said, religious scriptures are filled with valuable pointers. But it's incumbant upon the reader to "separate the wheat from the chaff". And the only way to do that is through direct experience with one's essence. Logic and analysis will only allow an intellectual perception. It is in stillness that clarity in truth is known.

If the essence of a scripture cannot be seen, it may be flawed - or it may be that we are looking at the words more than what is pointed to. Either way truth exists and their are many pointers pointing to those same truths. If it's not clear, set it aside for now and create a sense of inquirey and desire for clarity about it in consciousness. Somewhere down the road that clarity will likely come.

WW

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Don't know about other Christian churches, but the Catholic Church, being the largest organized Christian Church with 1 leader, the Pope, is changing its views on a lot of things. It is not as orthodox anymore. At least, now it does not persecute. It recognizes that quiet time is meditation.

The Jesuit priests, being the most learned of Catholic priests, also realize that the Bible was written 2000 years ago (the New Testament) by the apostles based on their memory of what Christ taught in a language quite difficult to translate. They also realize that it was written by men who may have used the words in a different context then. The Bible is being updated regularly so that it takes into consideration today's context and language. For example, Letter to the Corinthians 1:13 on (Gift of) Love. In the older versions of the Bible, the word used was Charity. This is the latest version of the Catholic pastoral.

If I could speak all the human and angelic tongues, but had no love, I would only be sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
If I had the gift of prophecy, knowing secret things with all kinds of knowledge, and had faith great enough to remove mountains,
but had no love, I would be nothing.
If I gave everything I had to the poor, and even give up my body to be burned, if I am without love, it would be of no value to me.
Love is patient, kind, without envy. It is not boastful or arrogant. It is not ill-mannered nor does it see its own interest.
Love overcomes anger and forgets offenses. It does not take delight in wrong, but rejoices in truth.
Love excuses everything, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love will never end. Prophecies may cease, tongues be silent and knowledge disappear.
For knowledge grasps something of the truth and prophecy as well. And when what is perfect comes, everything imperfect will pass away.
When I was a child, I thought and reasoned like a child, but when I grew up, I gave up childish ways.
Likewise, at present we see dimly as in a mirror, but then it shall be face to face.
Now we know in part, but then I will know as I am known.
Now we have faith, hope and love, these three, but the greatest of these is love.

See how beautiful it is? Also below :-
Corinthians 1:3 ~ Do you not know that you are God's temple, and that God's Spirit abides within you? If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him. God's temple is holy, and you are this temple.

Love & Light

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:54 pm

"If you have God in your heart"... thou shall not...kill, steal, covet, etc.
Oh, that's much better.

Is truth felt from within? What other truth exists?
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

thenow

Post by thenow » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:10 pm

eagle2phoenix wrote:Be still and know that I am God. Sound familiar? That line is taken from the Bible. I found that out when I attended a Silent Retreat "Healing the Wounds of the Past" conducted by a Jesuit Priest, Father Philip Chircop from Toronto, Canada. He taught us a hymn of the same title as well.

I was just going through the notes taken down during the retreat and more rediscovery. Father Philip shares with us in a very new approach.
"God's preferred language is silence. All else is bad translation."
"When a great opportunity knocks on the door of your life, it is often no louder than the sound of your heartbeat. And it is so easy to miss it."
"God is the being whose centre is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere." ~ sounds like the Tao Te Ching and the Upanishads.
"Enter through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many go that way. How narrow is the gate that leads life and how rough the road; few there are who find it." ~ Matthew 7.
"God is always at home. Guess who went out for a walk." This one is so cool!
"The eye with which I see God is the same eye which God sees me." ~ Meister Eckhart
"The true you is who you are when no one is watching."
"Don't give up, you are loved." ~ Josh Groban's song
"Forgive and remember." Re-member ~ bring together what has been broken.
"God comes disguised as my life."
"Just show up and let prayer happen to you."
"Prayer is a long loving look at what is real."
"Sometimes to heal, do nothing. Step back."

So lovely. Love & Light

I love these. Need these at the moment. :)

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Those who are speaking the truth all speak about the same things in the same language - the language of the heart.

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Luke 17:21 - "The spirit of the Lord is within you."
1 John 4:16 - "God is Love."

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Dear Andy - 'The Spirit of the Lord is within you; you yourself are God, so am I and so is everybody else.'
'God is love, you are love, so am I and so is everybody else.'
We come from love and to love we are returning now.
Only when we love and do and say loving things are we true to our real, i.e. highest nature.

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com