Living vs. Being Present; Thinking about Present/Past/Future

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Glycine

Living vs. Being Present; Thinking about Present/Past/Future

Post by Glycine » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:02 pm

I’m hypothesizing that thinking about the past or about the future is not in itself any different than thinking and reacting (with the mind) to the present situation. Remembering and planning still happen in the NOW; and, of course, remembering and planning may be needed in the present – as many members of the forum mentioned. As long as we acknowledge the need to use our mind in the present, we shouldn’t shy away from some remembering and planning.
Of course, remembering and planning can become unreasonable and obsessive sometimes – and this is when using the mind only for the present moment may help a lot (from a mind health point of view). Some people are attracted by thinking only about the present because of the freedom and happiness it brings.

The only “problem” that I see with thinking is that awareness is (somehow?) absorbed by it – regardless whether thinking is about present/past/future. Of course, this is a problem only for those who see it as a problem. Any kind of thinking appears to me just the same as being attached to a material object (car, house, nature, pet, family).

It seems to me that living in the past or in the future is no different than living in the present, as long as we are identified with our mind and/or some of the objects around us (body, belongings).
In my opinion, living in the present is what everybody always does – except those interested in awakening, who appear to be able to separate the “I AM” from thought forms and material forms (or maybe the "I AM" separates from form). Thus, they are able to add “being present” to “living”.

DWBH1953

Re: Living vs. Being Present; Thinking about Present/Past/Future

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:47 pm

Glycine wrote: It seems to me that living in the past or in the future is no different than living in the present, as long as we are identified with our mind and/or some of the objects around us (body, belongings).
In my opinion, living in the present is what everybody always does – except those interested in awakening, who appear to be able to separate the “I AM” from thought forms and material forms (or maybe the "I AM" separates from form). Thus, they are able to add “being present” to “living”.
Hi Glycine,
In your first paragraph in non bold above you bring about a conversation that will always have a for and against side both arguing they are correct. I will not comment further on that one, only to say I have my own opinion.
Now getting to your second paragraph in bold I would say you have nailed it very well.
I would only add that when anyone is able to seperate I Am from thought being present while living they are not only interested in awakening they are indeed awaken.
Very good post
Thanks you
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:22 pm

That's just it...we do not think about the present. Thought can not touch the present moment...you can only think about a split second ago or a split second to come...never the present...the now.

When you are truly present...you are not thinking at all.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 pm

eputkonen wrote:That's just it...we do not think about the present. Thought can not touch the present moment...you can only think about a split second ago or a split second to come...never the present...the now.

When you are truly present...you are not thinking at all.
That is the way I always experience it to be as a place of no time as time moves away from the present, however many also look at it in a way I can accept too. That is all we ever really have is the present moment everything else is simply illusion so we are always acting in the present moment because there is no other moment to act in..
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Thought may not be able to touch the present moment, but thinking does happen in the present moment - just like everything else! Adya mentioned that he can be present without having to quiet his mind.

The desire to get rid of the ego is egoic. When someone says: "Now that my ego is gone, I'm curious to see what the source will manifest through me", it is the ego talking!

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Glycine wrote:Thought may not be able to touch the present moment, but thinking does happen in the present moment - just like everything else! Adya mentioned that he can be present without having to quiet his mind.

The desire to get rid of the ego is egoic. When someone says: "Now that my ego is gone, I'm curious to see what the source will manifest through me", it is the ego talking!
Ahh words, words and more words all they do is limit the understanding of how things really are and then you have direct knowing what a relief so much better than words.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:30 am

We wouldn't have anything if it wasn't given to us!

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:56 am

Glycine wrote:We wouldn't have anything if it wasn't given to us!
Not sure what you mean but words in themselves are very limiting vs direct knowledge.
Who is the giver in your comment?
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:41 am

Thank you for your replies, Randji!
The giver is the "I AM" from: "Be still and know that I am God!"
We could also ask: who is still and who is "I"?

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:24 am

Glycine wrote:Thank you for your replies, Randji!
The giver is the "I AM" from: "Be still and know that I am God!"
We could also ask: who is still and who is "I"?
Of course that is why your end of questions will be when there are no answers.
The giver is prior to the I Am prior to consciousness a place where words are useless, a place that never moves, a place out of or free of time..a place called home, a place even to say only one is less than truth..out of the vastness of prior to I Am came into being everything that is..prior to I AM can never be describe only pointing to..the voice speaking I am that I Am came from prior to I Am..I am really just playing around here but it sems to me that calling this place ..The Void would be fitting..and out of the great Void came a voice crying I am that I am..What ya think?
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:48 pm

When we consider that thinking can take us out of the present moment, we give it special powers that it doesn't have!
We never worry that digestion will take us out of the present moment, and yet thinking is not much different from digestion.
Eckhart mentioned that we don't actually think, but rather thinking happens through us!

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Glycine wrote:When we consider that thinking can take us out of the present moment, we give it special powers that it doesn't have!
We never worry that digestion will take us out of the present moment, and yet thinking is not much different from digestion.
Eckhart mentioned that we don't actually think, but rather thinking happens through us!
Yes of course that is true and it is a mistake to take owership of your thoughts, they are not yours. Thoughts just appear and then disappear. Eckhard bless his heart was far from the first one that said this. Ramana Mahashri the great Indian sage said the exact same thing over 100 years ago. All real knowledge comes from direct knowing not thinking as others here have shared. When I share it comes mostly from direct knowing not from thinking. I guess you could say direct knowing is a special power though all of us without exception have it.
Ahh Sunday mornings, I do miss the American breakfast
Have a great day
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Glycine wrote:Thought may not be able to touch the present moment, but thinking does happen in the present moment - just like everything else! Adya mentioned that he can be present without having to quiet his mind.

Everything happens in the present moment...and that is why I've heard it said we are always in the present - so we don't have to try to be present. However, when I say "be present" - I mean not thinking about past and future...totally experiencing the now. People can be so distracted by thinking about the future or past that they really don't see what is now and trip/fall while walking down the sidewalk. It is possible to let go of the past and future...and find thinking has ceased...and the now (what is at the moment) is very clear.

Yes, the desire to get rid of the ego is egoic...any desire is egoic.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:09 pm

Thank you for your insightful replies, Eric and Randji. :)
In my opinion, when we let go of past and future - the present becomes more clear to the mind!
It appears to me that only identification with form can get us out of presence. Conversely, letting go of identification with form brings presence.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Glycine wrote:Thank you for your insightful replies, Eric and Randji. :)
In my opinion, when we let go of past and future - the present becomes more clear to the mind!
It appears to me that only identification with form can get us out of presence. Conversely, letting go of identification with form brings presence.
What mind are you speaking about? The term 'mind' could mean several things...for some it is just thought (thinking mind) and for others it is the ultimate ground of being (zen's Unborn Mind).

I would say, when you let go of past and future, the present becomes clear to awareness (Unborn Mind)...it would not become clear to the thinking mind as there is no thought.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen