I am THAT

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Alphonzen

I am THAT

Post by Alphonzen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Has anyone read this great spiritual book by Nisargadatta Maharaj?
(If you haven't please do, it is very close to Eckhart Tolle's and Adyashantis philosophy)

I have a question;

When Maharaj writes: "Just stay put firmly and establish yourself in the "I am".."

Does he mean the feeling of energy in the body? Like the inner body awareness that Tolle talks about?

DWBH1953

Re: I am THAT

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Alphonzen wrote:Has anyone read this great spiritual book by Nisargadatta Maharaj?
(If you haven't please do, it is very close to Eckhart Tolle's and Adyashantis philosophy)

I have a question;

When Maharaj writes: "Just stay put firmly and establish yourself in the "I am".."

Does he mean the feeling of energy in the body? Like the inner body awareness that Tolle talks about?
One of my favorite books it was through Nisargadatta writings that I awoke.
He is speaking to only what is. There is one thing that never can be denied and that is I AM.
Can anyone say they are not here. When in the present moment you will find your real being which is I Am nothing else. It is not your body nor your mind it is the real you.
That is all you stay present with I am that I am.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

Alphonzen

Post by Alphonzen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:45 pm

We should be best friends for life. :lol:
When in the present moment you will find your real being which is I Am nothing else. It is not your body nor your mind it is the real you.
So "I am", is the feeling of existence? Its a kind of stillness isn't it? Sometimes energy in the body? Does this ring a bell, or am I talking spagetti?

What kind of practices do you do to maintain focus on the "I am"? I sit quietly, just focusing on existing.

Thanks
K

Alphonzen

Post by Alphonzen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Alphonzen wrote:
We should be best friends for life. :lol:
When in the present moment you will find your real being which is I Am nothing else. It is not your body nor your mind it is the real you.
So "I am", is the feeling of existence? Its a kind of stillness isn't it? Sometimes energy in the body? Of course these are just words, but does this ring a bell, or am I talking spagetti?

What kind of practices do you do to maintain focus on the "I am"? I sit quietly, just focusing on existing.

Thanks
K

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Alphonzen wrote:
So "I am", is the feeling of existence? Its a kind of stillness isn't it? Sometimes energy in the body? Does this ring a bell, or am I talking spagetti?

Thanks
K
I wish I could tell you more well not really, you got it that is all that is needed.
Nisargadatta always points to this method of inquiry. He says that when the mind is quiet it becomes smooth as a mirror and by staying with the I Am sooner or later the Awareness of who you are is reflected and shown to you with such concrete assurance there leave no doubt whatsoever who the real you IS.
This is why I love Nisargadatta so much he speaks with such authority that there is never a doubt that the truth does set you free.
Nice to meet you Alphonzen
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Alphonzen

Post by Alphonzen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:09 pm

DWBH1953 wrote:
Alphonzen wrote:

Thanks
K
I wish I could tell you more well not really, you got it that is all that is needed.
Nisargadatta always points to this method of inquiry. He says that when the mind is quiet it becomes smooth as a mirror and by staying with the I Am sooner or later the Awareness of who you are is reflected and shown to you with such concrete assurance there leave no doubt whatsoever who the real you IS.
This is why I love Nisargadatta so much he speaks with such authority that there is never a doubt that the truth does set you free.
Nice to meet you Alphonzen
Randji
I have trust in his words now that I spoken with someone who understands. In fact, I could sense that he was talking the truth when I was at the hospital for a few hours, simply waiting for some test results. I was just staying with that "I am" feeling and thoughts did not trouble me, not even the morbid ones. It was quite peaceful actually.
I've come from the zen tradition where we sit for a long time, but Im starting to see that its not really necessary. Just stay with I am and thoughts slowly dissipate.

Thanks, Nice to meet ya Randji

-Sunny

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 pm

A few excerpts:

To know that you are neither in the body nor in the mind, though aware of both, is already self-knowledge. (518)

Learning words is not enough. You may know the theory, but without the actual experience of yourself as the impersonal and unqualified centre of being, love and bliss, mere verbal knowledge is sterile. (509)

It is only your mind that prevents self-knowledge. (517)

Nothing can trouble you but your own imagination. (113)

The world is but the surface of the mind and the mind is infinite. What we call thoughts are just ripples in the mind. When the mind is quiet it reflects reality. When it is motionless through and through, it dissolves and only reality remains. (484)

Deal with your mind first. When you realize that your mind too is a part of nature, the duality will cease. Because nature is in the mind; without the mind, where is nature? (186)

Use your mind to know your mind. It is perfectly legitimate and also the best preparation for going beyond the mind. (520)

A quiet mind is all you need. All else will happen rightly, once your mind is quiet. As the sun on rising makes the world active, so does self-awareness affect changes in the mind. In the light of calm and steady self-awareness, inner energies wake up and work miracles without any effort on your part. Do understand that you are destined for enlightenment. Co-operate with your destiny, don't go against it, don't thwart it. Allow it to fulfill itself. All you have to do is to give attention to the obstacles created by the foolish mind. (311)
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Alphonzen wrote:
I have trust in his words now that I spoken with someone who understands. In fact, I could sense that he was talking the truth when I was at the hospital for a few hours, simply waiting for some test results. I was just staying with that "I am" feeling and thoughts did not trouble me, not even the morbid ones. It was quite peaceful actually.
I've come from the zen tradition where we sit for a long time, but Im starting to see that its not really necessary. Just stay with I am and thoughts slowly dissipate.

Thanks, Nice to meet ya Randji

-Sunny
Hi Sunny I have all his books which are great they are ebooks in searchable format if you want any of his just PM me with your email and I will send what you want to you.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:27 pm

randomguy wrote:A few excerpts:

To know that you are neither in the body nor in the mind, though aware of both, is already self-knowledge. (518)

Learning words is not enough. You may know the theory, but without the actual experience of yourself as the impersonal and unqualified centre of being, love and bliss, mere verbal knowledge is sterile. (509)

It is only your mind that prevents self-knowledge. (517)

Nothing can trouble you but your own imagination. (113)

The world is but the surface of the mind and the mind is infinite. What we call thoughts are just ripples in the mind. When the mind is quiet it reflects reality. When it is motionless through and through, it dissolves and only reality remains. (484)

Deal with your mind first. When you realize that your mind too is a part of nature, the duality will cease. Because nature is in the mind; without the mind, where is nature? (186)

Use your mind to know your mind. It is perfectly legitimate and also the best preparation for going beyond the mind. (520)

A quiet mind is all you need. All else will happen rightly, once your mind is quiet. As the sun on rising makes the world active, so does self-awareness affect changes in the mind. In the light of calm and steady self-awareness, inner energies wake up and work miracles without any effort on your part. Do understand that you are destined for enlightenment. Co-operate with your destiny, don't go against it, don't thwart it. Allow it to fulfill itself. All you have to do is to give attention to the obstacles created by the foolish mind. (311)
Very nice Randomguy good to hear your familar with Nisargadatta .
any question you may ever have is answered by him.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Alphonzen

Post by Alphonzen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Sunny I have all his books which are great they are ebooks in searchable format if you want any of his just PM me with your email and I will send what you want to you.
Thanks, I actually have the book"I am that", open in my browser right now. Im gunna get me a paper copy soon.

Sunny

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Alphonzen wrote:
Thanks, I actually have the book"I am that", open in my browser right now. Im gunna get me a paper copy soon.

Sunny
I know that is only one a short one at that he has many others.
Prior to consciousness is one is his long book, plus pointers etc.
But I am That is a good start.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Alphonzen

Post by Alphonzen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:10 pm

DWBH1953 wrote:
Alphonzen wrote:

Sunny
I know that is only one a short one at that he has many others.
Prior to consciousness is one is his long book, plus pointers etc.
But I am That is a good start.
Peace
Randji
Ooh, thanks. I'll get into them once I have finished I am that. Which might be a long time, since I can be a slow reader :P
Thanks for the help.

Sunny

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Alphonzen wrote:
Ooh, thanks. I'll get into them once I have finished I am that. Which might be a long time, since I can be a slow reader :P
Thanks for the help.

Sunny
Your welcome heres a little hint that would had save me years if I had known.
You see before awakening Nisargadatta words seemed a little far fetch to say the least.
You will do yourself a world of good when you read his words no matter how far out they may seem they are not they are to be taken in a very literal sense just like the gospell!

It was not until years later that I realize that what Nisargadatta says is exactly what he means.
Enjoy
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:56 pm

DWBH1953 wrote:Very nice Randomguy good to hear your familar with Nisargadatta .
Yeah, Hermit Loon shared the link to the free online portion of I Am That. I have only read a fraction of his work so far and I find it excellent.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:11 pm

randomguy wrote:
DWBH1953 wrote:Very nice Randomguy good to hear your familar with Nisargadatta .
Yeah, Hermit Loon shared the link to the free online portion of I Am That. I have only read a fraction of his work so far and I find it excellent.
Well if you ever want the whole book in a searchable format just let me know.
It is not that big of a file and only takes a few mins to send to you.
I also have all of Arman books too.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana