First There Was a Mountain...

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Webwanderer

Re: First There Was a Mountain...

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:37 pm

‘First there was a mountain,
Then there was no mountain,
Then there was a mountain once again.’

Dear WW – the way this quote spoke to me was through my story of the enchanted Universe. In the great Universal Mind, of whom each one of us is an integral part, there arose the idea of creating a mountain. There was a mountain, but it only existed in Its mind, hence the statement: there was no mountain. Then the Great Mind got to work and created matter and from it a mountain – lots and lots of them later.

Does that still not speak to you?

With love – Aquarius
I get your point Aquarious, but it's a bit more esoteric than I'm looking for in this context. While your take may have merrit, there is something in this quote that is more directly applicable to one's awakening consciousness. I get the sense that its original author was pointing out something intimately experiencial to his listeners.

WW

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:00 pm

First there was a mountain, a symbolism for the difficulties of our daily lives, but one day the earthly self woke up to its true nature. It realised that the mountain had always been of its own creation and that it could do better, i.e. no longer create mountains for itself. That’s what the earthly self does and believes – erroneously – that there no longer is a mountain. Ah, but the spiritual pathway is a tough one and the soul soon realises that higher and higher demands are constantly being made on it, i.e. the Universe presents it with ever tougher lessons, to assess the state of its spiritual development. The small self realises that spiritually ever higher mountains have to be climbed, so there is a mountain again that consist of its spiritual aspirations, hopes and desires. They too are a mountain and the path up this mountain in the fullness of time takes every soul onto ever higher levels of experience and awareness.

Does that make more sense in the context you are seeking? With love - Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com

Juno

Post by Juno » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Heidi wrote:
Caterpillar sheds its skin to find the butterfly within.
I like this. Things are still new to me so very interesting.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:17 am

First there is a mountain - Reality as we know it from the ego/mind perspective. Material, separate, demanding. Interaction is more often about competition than cooperation. Survival of the fittest (ego) appears to reign.

Then there was no mountain - Awakening occurs. Time is lost as presence awareness returns. A realization that what appears to be, is but a perception that feels like substance, but in truth is just energy and imagination. It's easy to become lost in this realization, to drop out and become detached. What was once important and all consuming becomes irrelevant. What's the point? It ain't real after all.

Then there was a mountain once again - A deeper understanding within that awakeness dawns, and the world of form is seen once again as a world worthy of interaction, only now with a clearer sense of unity and adventure. Its participants are seen as fellow travelers on the road of life, sharing in the opportunity of manifest creation. There is a sense that there is but one LIfe, shared by all. There is indeed useful work to be done, even if it is just our love for chopping wood.

First there is an ego.
Then there is no ego.
Then there is an ego once again.
Hmm...

WW

mistral

Post by mistral » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 am

Yes, Webwanderer....exactly....that is what I was trying to say, but I had to write a novella about it :D

Thanks so much for that, It is really beautiful....

Love it! Just beautiful, Mistral-Merry Angel

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Dear WW - I can only echo Mistral's comments; that's how I feel about the matter, too.

With love - Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com

chad

Post by chad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:04 pm

First there was awareness.
Then there was ego.
Then there was awareness again.
what, at this moment, is lacking?

goldenbirdies

Post by goldenbirdies » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Webwanderer wrote:First there was a mountain,
Then there was no mountain,
Then there was a mountain once again.

I am interested in our members sense of this little well known phrase. Any comments are appreciated. Who said it? What is its intent? What is its value as a pointer?

WW
First connection in my mind was with the Zen phrase "Form is emptiness, and emptiness is form". The mountain both exists and doesn't exist. A difficult concept for the conditioned mind ! I'm guessing at its value as a pointer - but maybe its something to do with awareness of the whole ? (a fairly predictable answer, I know!). Author - another guess - Basho?

David
David

Steal Softly through Sunshine, Steal Softly through Snow - Don Van Vliet