The eternal unchanging now

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Juno

The eternal unchanging now

Post by Juno » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:11 am

Time, as we use it is only a measurement of the earth in relation to the sun. Every apparent event takes time and space to occur. Tic toc tic toc, time appears to move on. It takes tic tocs for events to take place. Now look at your watch, tic toc tic toc, time is passing. While you are aware of the passing of time, turn your attention to the eternal now. The now never moves or changes. It is always now. Everything that has ever appeared to happen, happened in this very now. You can never tell anyone what time it is because before you can even spit it out, and before whoever you are telling it to can even hear and cognize what you are saying, seconds have passed. While all this is apparently happening, the now remains constant. The now is synonymous with this simple clear presence that you and everything else is. Realization of the eternal is not the realization of infinite time, it is the realization of no time. This no time is this eternal unchanging now. This doesn't mean that we quit using the time concept, it only means that you can use it without being used by it.

~Mike Snider
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

Juno

Re: The eternal unchanging now. Time as a concept.

Post by Juno » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:38 pm

I bumped this. I posted last night when things were slow. I really like it so wanted to share.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

kiki

Re: The eternal unchanging now

Post by kiki » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks for the quote, juno. I especially liked this part:
Realization of the eternal is not the realization of infinite time, it is the realization of no time. This no time is this eternal unchanging now.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Juno wrote:This doesn't mean that we quit using the time concept, it only means that you can use it without being used by it.

~Mike Snider
Could someone help me understand what the autor mean by being used by time?
certainly agree with him that time is a illusion but so is your life as a person and this world it is all part of the dream that our consciousness plays in. But I do not get what being used by times means.
Thanks
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:31 pm

But I do not get what being used by times means.
Well, here's what I think it means - to live your life in such a way that you become ignorant of here and now. When you are in "time" you are trapped in thoughts of the past and thoughts of the future, both of which are imaginary. The mind created me only exists in thoughts of past and future, only exists as a function of memories arising from mind and thoughts projected forward to an imagined future. That's how the concept of time is created that the "idea of me" believes in. So in essence, "time" is using "me" to sustain an illusion. It can just as easily be said that "I" am using "time" to sustain an illusion. So "time" and "me" are interdependent. The rug gets pulled out from beneath the "me" when it's seen for the illusion that it is - then time stops. Where is "me" and "time" when thoughts of either aren't arising?
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:06 pm

kiki wrote:
But I do not get what being used by times means.
The rug gets pulled out from beneath the "me" when it's seen for the illusion that it is - then time stops. Where is "me" and "time" when thoughts of either aren't arising?
Ahh now I see what he was pointing to. Thanks KiKi
Peace
Randj
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

Juno

Post by Juno » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:39 pm

I like that too Kiki. Good explanation you put out there.
Huang Po