Ageless truth

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
DWBH1953

Ageless truth

Post by DWBH1953 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:54 pm

The other day I was watching a movie Ghost Dog about a spiritual hit man.
Throughout the movie they were quoting The Art of War.

..Our bodies are given life from the midst of nothingness. Existing where there is nothing is the meaning of the phrase, Form is emptiness. That all things are provided for by nothingness is the meaning of the phrase , Emptiness is form. One should not think that these are two seperate things.
The Art of War.

There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present monent. A mans whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing else to pursue.
the Art of War
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

mmy

Re: Ageless truth

Post by mmy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:10 am

I have heard Eckhart speak of form is emptiness and emptiness is form. I haven't heard him elaborate on that and I am confused by it. Form is emptiness, yes, but emptiness is form? Maybe it's something I'm trying to mentally grasp that is not possible.
DWBH1953 wrote:That all things are provided for by nothingness is the meaning of the phrase , Emptiness is form.
Still not clear to me :?

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:32 am

mmy wrote:I]That all things are provided for by nothingness is the meaning of the phrase , Emptiness is form.
Still not clear to me :?
Hi mmy,

Certain truths do seem to be hard to grasp with the mind. ET probably did not elaborate because some truths are very hard to describe with words. Language is so limited no matter how good you are at explaining. My own take on this phrase is that form is the container for emptiness to be in if that makes any sense to you.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

mmy

Post by mmy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:33 pm

DWBH1953 wrote:My own take on this phrase is that form is the container for emptiness to be in if that makes any sense to you.
Thanks Randji, that does make sense to me :)

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:32 pm

'form is the container for emptiness to be in '

The way I see it, the physical form - our body - is the container, the vessel and the vehicle that our spirit and soul uses to move us through our present lifetime, so that we may gather the experiences we need to help us grow in wisdom and understanding, to enable us to eventually return us into the consciousness of our true nature and our real home, in the world of light. The very cells of all form, including those of our physical bodies, in truth are not solid at all but filled with light

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:54 am

All That Is is context and contents of Existence. There is no opposite to Existence. When one is existential in Existence, can one become non-existential? We know, in the manifested reality, forms come and go. Can the essence of a form become non-existential? Violence is a manifested form, can the essence of violence become non-existential?

It seems that any essence in Existence is forever existential. However, the form manifestation of an essence requires certain conditions. When all humanity shies away from the essence of violence, it can not manifest amongst human. It appears that the essence of many human sufferings is EGO which has accumulated vast experience for its survival(manifestation) in forms.

The right terminology is to transcend EGO, not just to shy away from it.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 am

Your signature quotation of Ramana says it all. Forms, formless, manifest, transcendence, ego, existentialism--If we get to a point where we think we need to understand it, or to a point where we think we've understood it--well, that's not it.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:19 am

"Form is emptiness... Emptiness is form..." to me is the core of the first quote; seems pretty non-dual.

Recognition of the present moment works for warrior's too it seems. This reminds me of the Bhagavad Gita. War can be a part of life. What is reality lived with simultaneous surrender and action?
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:06 pm

randomguy wrote:"...This reminds me of the Bhagavad Gita. War can be a part of life. What is reality lived with simultaneous surrender and action?
Gandhi had trouble with the war in the Mahabharata, and that Krishna encouraged Arjun to kill. His interpretation was that the war represented inner turmoil. Another interpretation is that the Mahabharata represents how human beings live, and the Gita represents how they could be living. Yet another is similar to yours, which is to accept what is, and act.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:14 am

Gandhi had trouble with the war in the Mahabharata, and that Krishna encouraged Arjun to kill.
That's interesting, I didn't know that, and that would make sense. I'm guessing Gandhi possessed a little more wisdom about the effectiveness of non-violence than did the author who represented Krishna. It might be enjoyable to reread that.
I'd like to add one action to your last interpretation. Accept what is, act and learn.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho