Do we each have a unique soul?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
wander

Do we each have a unique soul?

Post by wander » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:25 am

Ive been pondering this lately. Is there any uniqueness to who we truley are? I dont think ive read anythign about having a soul in any of Eckharts books, have i missed something? Even though we are all one are we still unique? I kinda imagine the source as a light, (the sun) and each of us is a sperate ray of light. Does this make sense? I guess its my ego trying to have at least some distinction?

doug

Re: Do we each have a unique soul?

Post by doug » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:39 am

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:34 am

This would be only true if you are still in the dream of being a individual.
Once one wakes up the dream goes away and so does the idea of being a individual.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

aquarius123esoteric

Each one of us is special and unique

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Dear Friend – the way I see it, each in their own way, we are all special and unique. Can you imagine that in the entire history of the whole of Creation, there never has been and never will be another being quite like you and me? Our eyes, hands, hair, handwriting, smile, voice and mind are unique to us. No-one walks, talks, thinks, acts or even meditates exactly the way we do. Nobody can paint our brush strokes or has exactly the same taste as we have for food, music, dance and other artistic endeavours. Nobody can perceive things quite the way we do; and no-one can feel our feelings. There has never been someone who laughs exactly the way we do, and what makes us laugh or cry, can have quite a different effect on someone else.

We are all different from everybody else who ever walked the Earth, and we are all specially gifted in some way. Even if others pursue the same creative activities as we do, everybody has their own special and unique way of expressing themselves. In the course of our evolution as individuals and through many lifetimes, we all have developed our own set of abilities. There always will be someone who is better than we are, at one thing or another; and everyone is likely to be our superior at least in one way. But do not overlook that this is valid for each one of us.

Everybody has been provided by our Creator with a different set of gifts and talents, which has taken many lifetimes to develop. It is important to be grateful for all our gifts, to take good care of them and to further develop them, to be best of our ability. When the whole range of that which has been bestowed upon us comes together, it produces a vibration and a sound that is uniquely our own. The entire human race can be likened to a room filled with billions of musical instruments. And when we listen to the symphony they are producing together, it may seem to us as if some of the instruments producing it sounded better in some way than ours. Let that not disturb you. Because each one of the instruments is unique, no-one can match exactly anyone else’s sound, no matter how hard one tries.

We are all tiny particles of a vast whole, and the functioning of one is as important as that of all the others for the wellbeing of the whole. Every single one is rare and precious in the eyes of the One who created us. And whatever we imagine this being to be, even the greatest sceptic is bound to admit that we and our world cannot have appeared out of nowhere. Our Creator holds the Great Plan of life in His/Her loving hands and designed us to be exactly the way we are. We are not some kind of a random and haphazard appearance, or some kind of a cosmic joke. We are in this life so that we may learn to love, appreciate and accept ourselves, just the way we are, because that is the way our Mother-Father loves us and wants us to be. The seed of perfection is within each one of us. All that anyone needs to do is to strive to give of their best in all situations and to gradually bring forth ever more of it from within the very core of their own being.

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe

You can find my writings and download
them free of charge from my website
www.raysofwisdom.com

wander

Post by wander » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:59 am

mm i enjoyed that response aquarious

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:02 pm

wander wrote:though we are all one are we still unique?
Huh? All there is is one...and no other. So the terms same and different (and unique) have no meaning as it requires an other...a duality...TWO. There is no real "we".
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 pm

To the small earthly self the fear of losing its identity is even greater than the one of death; as a matter of fact that is the very reason why it is so terrified of death. I believe that no-one will ever lose their individuality, that even when we finally ready to fully merge with God again we shall not lose our identities and uniqueness. After all, that is what the whole process of individuation has been about. This means that when you and I have reached a sufficiently high level of consciousness to be one again with God, you will still be you and I shall continue to be me.

With love and light,
Aquarius

Goethe

www.raysofwisdom.com

Fenn

Post by Fenn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:51 pm

eputkonen wrote: Huh? All there is is one...and no other. So the terms same and different (and unique) have no meaning as it requires an other...a duality...TWO. There is no real "we".
Hi Eric,

If two people are in a room, it might be okay to say that there is One thing happening.

Yet how do we account for the fact that each person will have a separate and unique version of what is going on?

Fenn

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:06 pm

eputkonen wrote:
wander wrote:though we are all one are we still unique?
Huh? All there is is one...and no other. So the terms same and different (and unique) have no meaning as it requires an other...a duality...TWO. There is no real "we".
In non-duality one can acknowledge there is but one Life, but within that Life are there not numberless unique perspectives in being? (Each finger on one's hand is unique, yet all share the same life.) And is it not in these unique perspectives that give a sense of identity? What is the meaning of "I Am" as stated by Teachers throughout history?

WW

wander

Post by wander » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:02 am

well it just seems to make sense that we have unique souls. If everything beyond form was exactly the same, then wouldnt there be no variations in form? I mean everything would have to be identical? And then we have the idea of reincarnation. If there is no soul, then there really cant be reinarnation beause it would all be the same... hmm can i explain this? ugh i really cnat put that idea into word how frustrating. But maybe you dont beleive in reincarnation anyway...

To add to what webwanderer and feen are saying.... we all have absolutely unigue personalities and bodies rgiht? Well wouldnt something unique have to create them?

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:28 am

Fenn wrote:If two people are in a room, it might be okay to say that there is One thing happening.
Yet how do we account for the fact that each person will have a separate and unique version of what is going on?"
When you dream at night, all that is in the dream comes from your mind...essentially is you (maybe influenced by indigestion or the goings on of the day). The dream character you believe you are in the dream will have a separate and unique version than another dream character, but in reality it is all you. There really is no other in the dream and there is no real "we".
Webwanderer wrote:In non-duality one can acknowledge there is but one Life, but within that Life are there not numberless unique perspectives in being? (Each finger on one's hand is unique, yet all share the same life.) And is it not in these unique perspectives that give a sense of identity? What is the meaning of "I Am" as stated by Teachers throughout history?
In a dream, is there not the appearance of numberless unique perspectives in being...but in reality it is all you. Each thing you see in the dream is unique (appears so)...and yet there is not anything that is not you in the dream. The appearance of another dream character that seems to have a unique perspective gives rise to a sense of identity...my point of view versus his point of view...but all this is appearance and illusion. Both dream characters are but a dream and not the dreamer.

"I Am" is ultimately the "I am" without the "I". It is a trap and red herring to thing the "I Am" means some individual being or consciousness...it is not personal.
Last edited by eputkonen on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

great2be

Post by great2be » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 am

eputkonen wrote:
Fenn wrote:If two people are in a room, it might be okay to say that there is One thing happening.
Yet how do we account for the fact that each person will have a separate and unique version of what is going on?"
When you dream at night, all that is in the dream comes from your mind...essentially is you (maybe influenced by indigestion or the goings on of the day). The dream character you believe you are in the dream will have a separate and unique version than another dream character, but in reality it is all you. There really is no other in the dream and there is no real "we".
Webwanderer wrote:In non-duality one can acknowledge there is but one Life, but within that Life are there not numberless unique perspectives in being? (Each finger on one's hand is unique, yet all share the same life.) And is it not in these unique perspectives that give a sense of identity? What is the meaning of "I Am" as stated by Teachers throughout history?
In a dream, is there not the appearance of numberless unique perspectives in being...be in reality it is all you. Each thing you see in the dream is unique (appears so)...and yet there is not anything that is not you in the dream. The appearance of another dream character that seems to have a unique perspective gives rise to a sense of identity...my point of view versus his point of view...but all this is appearance and illusion. Both dream characters are but a dream and not the dreamer.

"I Am" is ultimately the "I am" without the "I". It is a trap and red herring to thing the "I Am" means some individual being or consciousness...it is not personal.
This all very well and true for sleep induced dreaming, but the life lived during the day when awake can never be described in the same way - it definitely is not all a dream.
Are you saying it is all a dream Eric?
An imaginary seeker, seeking an imaginary goal.
Realise the nature of imagination and the fallacious effort ends.

Have you ever seen a dog chasing it's tail?

What happens when the dog runs faster?

Fenn

Post by Fenn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:59 am

eputkonen wrote: In a dream, is there not the appearance of numberless unique perspectives in being...
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your comments.

Putting the dream analogy to one side for a moment and keeping the enquiry tangible:

Are you saying that in everyday 'normal' life there are not multiple unique arisings of perceptions?

For instance: there are two people in a room, one has the taste of coffee in her mouth, the other the taste of tea.

Are there not two different, unique, separate sense perceptions going on?

Fenn

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWAW1Z-kAs

It seems that consciousness and the universe are co-expanding, in Unity, at an ever increasing rate toward the nothingness of Truth and Reality - Intelligent Evolution! :)
Peace

aquarius123esoteric

Post by aquarius123esoteric » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:00 pm

You were saying, dear Friend: 'If two people are in a room, it might be okay to say that there is One thing happening. Yet how do we account for the fact that each person will have a separate and unique version of what is going on?'

Did you know that we all view our earthly existence somewhat differently from everybody else? Amazingly, there are as many variations on this theme as there are souls, and that on both sides of the veil of consciousness that to this day separates our two worlds. Do you know why? Each soul is an individual spark of the Divine and no two souls are exactly alike. No two souls have the same Karma, i.e. experiences behind them. No two souls have reached exactly the same evolutionary level. On top of that our perception of life is different in each of the Sun signs.

Possibly the best example is the polar opposition of Aries and Libra. First of all the soul encounters get-up-and-go Aries with its vim and vigour, zest for life and enthusiasm for adventuring and ever new experiences that allow treading new paths and scouting out uncharted territories. When the soul has been round the zodiac time and again, there comes a lifetime when it reaches the opposite sign, Libra, and begins to feel a certain world-weariness. Unbeknown to its earthly self, its Highest Self is preparing its soul for a possible final departure from the Earth plane.

With love and light,
Aquarius

Goethe

www.raysofwisdom.com