16%
Don't know
32%

Total votes: 19

HermitLoon

Re: Is the waking world a dream?

Post by HermitLoon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks Soul Seeker :)

I enjoy watching the scientific meld and merge with the spiritual as the scientists run around muttering "Neti, Neti :)

With "awakening" comes a deep, instinctive understanding of the inherent "cause and effect" of the Human Experience - and indeed of all experience.
What science is now "discovering" and "proving" is that which has been written about and spoken of by the "awakened" for thousands of years - that "non-locality" is reality - that the observer determines that which is observed - that there is no independant material "existance" - only a "hologram" created in and by the conscious mind.
(read "The Holographic Universe" written many years ago).

Soon the scientific and the spiritual will merge completely and there will be a wide-spread understanding and acceptance of "Oneness" - "The One Reality" - (what i have labeled as "Pure Awareness") - and with that understanding "Peace On Earth".
Peace

Soul Seeker

Post by Soul Seeker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:46 am

Well said Hermit - I am in total harmony with you 8)

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 am

:)
Peace

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:30 pm

HermitLoon wrote:What science is now "discovering" and "proving" is that which has been written about and spoken of by the "awakened" for thousands of years - that "non-locality" is reality - that the observer determines that which is observed - that there is no independant material "existance" - only a "hologram" created in and by the conscious mind.
(read "The Holographic Universe" written many years ago).
Wow HermitLoon you have a gift for capturing the elusive.

What I find really intriguing is that the reality cannot be experienced even though it is always here until some sort of "paridigm shift" takes place. I wonder if something like that
is actually detectable or meausrable in our physical brains. Jill Bolte Taylor, the neurologist that had the stroke and went on to write about believes that it is the right part of the brain (or is it the left) that
keeps us from experiencing the present moment and to see reality as it really exists. When she had the stroke, she describes everything as being "fluid", like a river of energy.

Soul Seeker

Post by Soul Seeker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:29 am

HermitLoon - while I was checking out the book you spoke of The Holographic Universe - which by the way looks very interesting - I came across this video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7629019446

Also on the same page there was a talk by Richard Dawkins which was great and ties with the first one. Though interestingly Dawkins is a well known Atheist

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5344&hl=en

OnlyNow

Post by OnlyNow » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:58 pm

yes
When the Pupil is ready the Master appears

James

Post by James » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 am

The idea of lucid dreaming reminds me of the movies The Matrix (1999), and Vanilla Sky (2001).

A person could rely on their own experience and realization to see if the waking world is a dream, by observing the mind and thinking, and through inquiry. Notice how if you are identified with thought, and the thoughts are negative, then the world appears relatively negative. And if the believed thoughts are positive, the world then appears more positive. So which is true? The negative or the positive version?

Now if you don't believe the negative or positive thoughts in the mind, but see everything as neither good nor bad, the world then appears unconditioned, it just Is.

Then take it a step further and ask: What is it that notices thinking?... Who or what am I?...

Don't look for an answer in the intellect, ask the question and be quiet, rest in inner stillness. Relax and observe. And then see how things appear. Is there a shift in seeing or perception? It may be very slight at first, just a glimpse or glimmer.

This is a type of inquiry that can be repeated from time to time, as often as one feels inclined and comfortable doing it.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:00 am

Here's a leap, kind of related to the first posts in this thread:

James, you say:
Now if you don't believe the negative or positive thoughts in the mind, but see everything as neither good nor bad, the world then appears unconditioned, it just Is.
What if really, it just "isn't." What if the conditioned or unconditioned world, all observations of it, all observations of everything, including the observation of "self-realization", occurs in the mind of God. How could we prove or disprove the answer to that question? And what if the "mind of God" were encased in the mind of a higher God? (the Russian doll analogy...)

The point of all this post is that observations themselves are self-contained. They are sufficient unto themselves. Their existence is defined by what they are. Certainly the world "just is." The chair exists because all the faculties we have (touch, taste, smell, sight, sound) can be used to validate the existence of the chair within our abilities to identify anything.

All we know for sure is that we exist as an instance of pure awareness. Awareness is awake.

How about manifesting from pure awareness? How is it different than manifesting from unconsciousness? What have been our experiences?....Oops that's another thread, here: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 42&start=0 .

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm with you all the way, Sighclone!
I guess this is most obvious in individuals who are starting to awaken. They can experience both states: unconscious and awakened.
Unawakened individuals see the form-identified state as real. Enlightened individuals see the awareness-identified state as real.
Which one is the "truth"? Both states seem to have some reality, although the difference between them is remarkable. Both can arise and vanish. Where does the dream end?

James

Post by James » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Find out what you Truly are, not theoretically, but an experiential knowing;
and you will know what everything else is.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:03 pm

You are right, James.
I noticed that every time I try to understand with the mind, I am back into some sort of dream.
It surprises me to see that the mind has such a strong influence on being present.