indigenous search for self in the past

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
stanm

indigenous search for self in the past

Post by stanm » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:43 am

Hi

Over here in Australia, we have the indigenous aboriginals, a race of people who had been kept apart from
the world as it developed, due to remoteness. When White explorers found them, they were living a very primitive lifestyle,
very tribal in nature and without any trappings of our civilisation.

So what happened, they were mistreated at first of course and now governments are going to the full tilt in the
opposite direction.

Large groups of them have been put in remote communities, isolated from anyone, presuming that they
would like to continue to be like they were before we came! But supplied with houses, cars and alcohol!

My question;

When a nomadic earlier civilisation is thrust together with a modern civilisation, we have a huge clash
of levels of consciousness and awareness.

What is the way forward?

Stan

heidi

Re: indigenous search for self in the past

Post by heidi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi Stan - Welcome to the forum. :)

There is no way forward, there is only now. The perceived clashing of cultures is simply what it is at this moment, so the way "forward" (read, the way to peace) is to let go of judgment and resistance, allow things to unfold, and accept things as they are. What is is what is - and, to quote Byron Katie, "Who can argue with a raindrop?"

There are some things that just don't seem right - like litter on the roadside, or how indigenous people have been marginalized, and we have a choice. If the painbody gets riled up at perceived injustice - as mine does when I see litter - we can either grumble about it and curse the perpetrator, or we can take action in the moment (in the case of litter, pick it up; in the case of social injustice, take action to relieve it such as volunteering). I know I can't pick up all the litter, so I have come to a place where I do what I can, and accept it as a fact - like the weather, since it really is not within my control, and trying to control it is where peace slips away.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

James

Post by James » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:12 am

Nice post, thanks Heidi.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:36 am

All indigenous people in Asia Pacific came from the same tribe (dark curly hair, large square faces, large noses, thick lips). One thing I note for those who decided to remain as they have been for ages, is that they are one with nature. They are happy with what little they have even if they are marginalized. In Malaysia, many still live in the jungle in bamboo houses which to many look like shacks. They roam the jungle for food. They ask not to be spoiled, but some civilized people want to exploit them for personal gains. Some of us civilized ones think they are so poor and in need of help, but in reality, we the civilized ones are the ones who are poor and in need of help.

I have watched on TV how the nomadic Mongolians roam the earth from place to place with the little they have, and .. that is living life in solitude and with nature instead of chasing mad dreams in the concrete jungles of modern materialistic society.
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:18 pm

It's the same in North America; the native americans were encouraged to assimilate or encouraged to isolate, and neither worked very well. I imagine it's always been this way throughout history whenever a militarily-powerful culture forcibly takes over land.

By one survey the happiest people on earth are in 'primitive' tribes of Vanuata, a small Pacific Island. Other surveys, which I would say has more of a western definition of happiness, suggest Denmark and Iceland. It comes down to ease of being, whether we're close to nature or technological, dominant or subjugated. Everything else follows.

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:05 am

For a while now, I find myself wanting to live simple like my forefathers, tilling the ground and planting stuff, touching the soil and letting nature heal. I "want" to build an eco farm retreat where one can work with nature. The modern world is becoming more and more complicated for me. That is why I garden and compost. It pains me to see so much destruction going on, especially when trees get chopped off and buildings come up.

When my sons are old enough to care for themselves, my husband and I will find a piece of land to do just that. In a way, I am doing just what the subject matter of this thread but in the present. I find myself much like Jodie Foster's character, Alex Rover, in Nim's Island.
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.