Is this site another way for the ego to avoid awakening?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Tony-S-Ma

Re: Is this site another way for the ego to avoid awakening?

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Sun May 03, 2009 6:00 am

eagle2phoenix wrote:
Tony-S-Ma wrote:Some mind needs to be totally satisfied intellectually before it goes silent and mends its own business in the background :twisted:
Then use it for something useful like Einstein or Stephen Hawking. Or write a book about how twisted life is. This forum is going out of synthesis with long conversations about what is and what is not.
Is it useless to Enlightenment :shock: Or It is only useful to science, arts, philosophy and etc. :|

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:26 pm

lucy wrote:I guess the question is: does the ego have a secret stash of signposts that are getting in the way?
My last answer was rubbish. As is this one. This forum is great. How else would proximity to such a high number of (insert own label here) people connect with such convenience? Here is where I gained exposure to Katie, Adya, Ramana, and Maharaj. Here is where it is reflected what Katie describes as; we all have equal wisdom, we are all equal teachers. The posts that slap my mind sideways, excellent. The posts that resonate with my experience, great. The posts that fail to grab my attention 5 words in, fantastic. A picture of ET with dreads appears, awesome.

In my experience, egoic tendencies are less of a stash of signposts and more of a long trained reflex to (as Adya puts it) grasp or avoid what is. That's how it doesn't matter the concept or whether the effect is perceived by the mind as negative or positive. Upon encountering an unexpected (to the mind) life event, the reflex does what it does, grasp at the first unquestioned thought, hold it and build some tasty imagination around it.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:52 pm

lucy wrote: I must say though, as far as awakening goes, I wonder how useful this site is. There are a lot of good resources provided here, but outside of that, I wonder if all this mind activity that is generated here takes on further into the mind and hence further away from the truth.
I think that for some (or a lot) of people this place is definitely just another way for the ego keep itself occupied. And in that regard, the question you posed is an important one, for anyone who spends time here.

For me your question brings up another, more fundamental question... what is it that I'm even doing in reading these kinds of books, listening to talks, participating in this forum? The truth is that I have no idea. I seem drawn to this stuff, but at the same time, I don't really feel any kind of process or shift going on inside. Maybe something is shifting deep inside, of which I am not yet aware, and at some future point, there will be a major shift, in part due to this perhaps, but maybe not at all, who knows?

I guess I can't really answer your question in the context of awakening, but in many other regards this place can be pretty useful and definitely nice to have.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

James

Post by James » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:15 am

A broader question is: Why does Life do what it does? Who really knows? Why does Life appear as separate individuals (egoic sense) running around trying to make sense of it all? Most why questions are fruitless; but we could simply say Life just does what it does, (because that is what is happening). Life appears as Unity and as seeming separation, sometimes it seems good and sometimes bad, love and hate, peace and war, understanding and confusion, seekers and finders. Some refer to this as the divine play of form or Lila. There is a drama or game that appears to be acted out. If everyone knew that it was just a drama and we weren't really separate, then the show would be over. So we can say that the show goes on, until it no longer does... It is what it is... Life, is happening, and we are not the authors of it.

So if egos appear to be avoiding awakening, they may use this site in that way, but it is not really related to this site, it is simply the nature of egoic sense to avoid awakening.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:15 am

Using WW's favorite word, there are two ways to increase clarity:
1. Silence
2. Extensive focused discussion
The first one is the best, but difficult to implement for groups of people, especially on the web.
IMO, the second approach is successfully used on this site.

James

Post by James » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:29 am

Yes Glycine, I find writing to be clarifying, some people like to keep journals, I prefer the online dialogs and interaction because it is more interesting, and it seems to bring out more focus. We can learn so much from others and how we respond to them.

And I will add that it is perfectly OK for egos to avoid awakening.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

mistral

Post by mistral » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:48 pm

James wrote:I find writing to be clarifying, some people like to keep journals, I prefer the online dialogs and interaction because it is more interesting, and it seems to bring out more focus. We can learn so much from others and how we respond to them.

Here is an essay that will very certainly clear up a lot confusion about 'why we write' or 'should we write' et al:

http://www.williamsamuel.com/06-15-09-c ... ending.htm

There is so much in this piece, it may take a few readings, but you will be truly delighted by the honesty, wisdom and genuine Truth in it.

Love, Mistral

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:41 am

Sometimes I go through a little dualistic exercise with my monkey-mind:

Q/ Why would God (the out-there, dualistic God) set in motion something which has the principal tool (the mind) for its most refined life form (us) be the one obstacle to Self-realization?

A/ Well, monkey-mind, the mind just appeared as a survival mechanism as this species evolved. For lesser species, which are less "self-absorbed" (little egoic self), their minds "do" less and therefore they are more naturally self-realized, up to their capacity for self-realization. (They were never deceived in the first place.) Because the human mind can see so many alternative outcomes, it feels it must plan a route to navigate life. And it hooks up with many other minds to create a language and culture which allows and encourages the develpment of and ego (false self created by unconscious identification with the mind -ET) from the primitive "sense of self" (which existed before ego and remains after enlightenment). Original natual egoic identities like "mother" and "hunter-gatherer" became institutionalized. Religions formed to explain the unknown (sun=god, etc...). Then transcultural archetypes (hero, villan, warrior, sex-kitten, tormenter/persecutor, victim, rescuer, etc...) formed. And all the while little egos were nurtured by parents with bigger ones. And there you have it: the big lie (you are real because you think you are.) You are real because you simply are.

Q/ Hmmm....so what we are doing is the "demolition project" of ego disintegration and true "binding-back" (re-ligare) to our Self, which was never separate from You...just an evolved manifestation of your wonderment?

A/ Yup.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce