its driving me mad!

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
void

its driving me mad!

Post by void » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:34 pm

Ideals are driving me mad....They are so deep seated and its no god just saying"dont have them" or passing it off like that.... I get angry lets say,,,then i feel bad, because that ideal is in me... from religion, parents, teachers,(all of whom get angry) that i shouldnt be angry. Then , somebody on this ite may say"do this, and get rid of it", which again implies that i should stop being angry...Animals just do... if an animal wants sex, or food, or to fight, it just does that!, but we are part human, part animal,,,( animal with an overlay of culture, rules, guilt trips, etc) I want to have sex, or food, or to fight, etc... but there is a secondary thingin me that looks back, and says"is this right" ... right according to who or what? Will i be judged?, again, by who or what....If we were pure animal, then we would not have this problem, and if we were pure intelligence we would nt have a problem, but it seems we are both... usually mixed up.
You take a wild animal, tame it , give it regular meals, etc... it may calm down, but what happens to all those primal instincts? maybe this is wy were s violent now... if that animal violene in us was allowed to play out maybe it would have worn itself out by now, but its mererly ben covered over by culture, religion and youd better believe its going nowhere.
j.gibirdi

eputkonen

Re: its driving me mad!

Post by eputkonen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Of course they are...ideals drive everyone nutty.

It is insane to hold ourselves to high ideals that can never be done by us at this point (if we still think we are an ego...a separate little me in the big world) and then beat ourselves up because we could not live the ideal. If our realization and understanding is not deep enough, we may get angry...anger only ceases when realization and understanding is deep enough (basically you are already enlightened and realization/understanding has deepened after that - but anger can occur and still be enlightened). Until that...there is nothing you can do to not be angry. The ego can try to imitate not being angry by repressing it...but anger is still there. For those who think they are an ego...anger, fear, anxiety, etc, etc. is normal life...and no ego can truly become fearless, unselfish, etc. So to have the ideal that one should be fearless (or whatever) is insane...it is like asking that cats should bark and rain should never make one wet.

Generally, if someone wanted to deal with such feelings...I would recommend just observing what is going on (deeply) and acceptance. Watch what is going on and our reactions to it...stay with it for a little bit to see if some new understanding occurs to us about what is going on. But as we are watching what is going on (in the present)...everything seen already is and so we must accept it. Not accepting you are angry when you are angry is disassociation (insanity). If you are angry...fine you are angry...accept it...feel it...experience it fully. Emotions are fast...so if we are not repelling or clinging onto them - they disappear fairly quickly. If it doesn't leave quickly...fine...accept that...just stay with it and see if it occurs to you why it won't go yet.

People are generally too wound up...hence the feeling of being driven mad. Fine...feel it totally...see what changes when you just sit in that and see what is.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

void

Re: its driving me mad!

Post by void » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:16 pm

thanks for that i sometimes feel like im going crazy but good to hear your take on it... acceptance, like you said may just be the way.
j.gibirdi