posting and busy minds

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
lucy

posting and busy minds

Post by lucy » Tue May 12, 2009 12:04 am

I often wonder if those who feel the need to respond to every post have unusually busy minds. Perhaps, it may be more beneficial to just let the questions and comments of others seep in and settle instead of responding to every post. I find the comments of the posters who are not always quick to jump in the most helpful, but that's just me.

sevenworlds

Re: posting and busy minds

Post by sevenworlds » Tue May 12, 2009 1:47 am

Sorry Lucy if I am guilty of jumping in quick here but, can I ask why you feel this way?

I would question whether it really is beneficial to allow things to seep in. Do we have a choice? I have found there is no logic to this whatsoever. Sometimes you are just floored by a statement out of nowhere. We can say words are helpful or they get in the way but in terms of this forum they are all we have. The nature of this kind of discussion makes it difficult to restrain. Many times I have felt "that's enough" at the end of a day, with the feeling what has come out of me is crap and I'm going to take a break for a while. The next day I happen to find myself here again and whatever wants to express must. It's like I heard Jac O'Keefe say recently about her book - she knows she's dumping more rubbish into the world but what can she do? It's life. Nothing to do and nothing not to do. So that must apply to all here. I know this is a phase. I never thought I'd still be here but it will pass eventually. That also goes for all.

If the busy posting of others really bothered me, I'd either leave, have a direct word with them, or complain to the moderators. Nobody is chaining us here.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 am

Deleted; appeared funny yesterday, not today.
Last edited by randomguy on Tue May 12, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 am

Often when I read something, the mind is quick to want to respond, it's almost reflexive, and the in my opinon what comes out is usually something that has aready been said, just more rubbish or noise as Jac O'Keeffe says. I don't consider what comes out of Jac O'Keeffe noise, as it seems that her words are not coming from mind but from a place that trascends it. You are right, if this really bothered me, I would leave, but I enjoy reading the words of many of the posters that transcend mind.

OneLove

Post by OneLove » Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 am

It's just an ego thing lucy

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue May 12, 2009 5:44 am

You make some good points Lucy. We've all been around the occasional person who retorts whatever comes to mind without consideration of its merrit. There are those who say that there is no control over this, that it's just what is arising in the moment. As much as there may be a thread of truth in this concept, it does not explain volition and how it is some will considerer their words before they speak (or write), while others speak spontaneously and without reservation.

An additional consideration is what is the source of this spontaneity and consideration? Is it the creative source itself, or is it the ramblings of an imagination believing in its own identity - or something else still? The fact that one can even consider posibilities is itself telling of something beyond pure randomness.

WW

sevenworlds

Post by sevenworlds » Tue May 12, 2009 12:21 pm

lucy wrote:Often when I read something, the mind is quick to want to respond, it's almost reflexive, and the in my opinon what comes out is usually something that has aready been said, just more rubbish or noise as Jac O'Keeffe says.
I see too often with this spiritual thing we can go the other way. There is so much said about taking a deep breath, composing yourself, not jumping in and so on. That in itself can be another obstacle. Sometimes all our efforts to be more natural get in the way of our naturalness. When Nisargadatta Maharaj was asked how he knows what to say to all the people who come to see him he replied: "Whatever comes to mind". UG is very clearly like that. He is so quick that he very often interrupts and won't let the questioner finish speaking. He often makes sure he gets the last word in. A mind with all it's ideas of politeness and manners looking at him could see him as a rude, arrogant, argumentative, know-it-all. It works in strange ways.

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed May 13, 2009 1:30 am

Often when I read a post, a question or comment will pop up very quickily, but if I just take a moment,
usually the question will dissolve into a kind of Silence, and then something fresh may or may not come up. I find the orginal comment or question is usually the conditioned response which leads to minds quarelling with minds.
sevenworlds wrote:There is so much said about taking a deep breath, composing yourself, not jumping in and so on. That in itself can be another obstacle
When the mind is in ccontrol it doesn't matter if the response is immediate or you have taken a moment, the result will be the same. When a moment is taken, a kind of space can be created from which arises an authentic response.

RCharles

Post by RCharles » Wed May 13, 2009 2:02 am

I was thinking of you earlier today, Lucy, and understanding better why you had doubts about this forum not long ago. Too much ego for me, and that includes my own. I'm missing what I came here for. In the future, I'll choose the discussions to participate in more carefully and will be more careful what I say.

Thanks, Lucy. :)

RC
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed May 13, 2009 2:36 am

Hi RC,

My intention is not to discourage anyone from posting comments, after all as sevenworlds pointed out, this is a discussion community and it can be a very useful in providing pointers to awakening. At one of his retreats, ET pointed out how some questions were better than others. He explained this further by saying that some questions or comments generate a lot of mind activity. e.g. what is Neo-Advaita and is there a doer versus a question that is borne out of experience. I found with my own awakening, the pointers that were most useful were the ones that pointed me out of the mind to appreciate what is truly here. RC, I loved your comments under Spirtual experiences/Awakenings/Truth Realization.

sevenworlds

Post by sevenworlds » Wed May 13, 2009 2:37 pm

Who's to say what is an adequate pointer? As I keep saying, I don't see a method to this. Tolle is saying that and yet his own pointers may be confusing millions of people, who if they heard it put completely differently would see it. There are many stories of teachers provoking their students into anger and in that moment of anger, something happens. I'm sure this is what Ramana did to UG. Ramana said "I can give it but can you take it?" and UG came away so annoyed at his arrogance, but maybe that encounter stripped something away and set up the conditions for Jiddu to do the rest. Apparently, Papaji said something similar to Mooji in satsang. Mooji walked out and felt so angry and as his anger calmed he was left in peace. I know from my own encounter with UG (on youtube) I was a bit stunned at first at what he was saying after a year with Eckhart's teachings but I couldn't deny it. He was stripping away all the conditioning I'd picked up from Eckhart. I didn't like it at first but I knew I had to let it go. If it feels uncomfortable you have to ask is it real? Why am I feeling this way?

RCharles

Post by RCharles » Wed May 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Lucy said:
My intention is not to discourage anyone from posting comments, after all as sevenworlds pointed out, this is a discussion community and it can be a very useful in providing pointers to awakening.
Yes! But sometimes too much talk obscures truth rather than revealing it.
RC, I loved your comments under Spirtual experiences/Awakenings/Truth Realization.
Thanks so much, Lucy! :D

RC
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai