You are Pure Consciousness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
CFSLosAngeles

Post by CFSLosAngeles » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:50 am

So, here's the latest on my spiritual journey...

by Michael Jeffreys (from my spiritual blog: http://mjeffreys.com/mylatestthoughts.aspx)

(June 2, 2009)

Every once in a while a book comes along that speaks the truth so loudly and so powerfully that your entire experience of life is profoundly changed. Consciousness is All by Peter Francis Dziuban has been that book for me.

For those of us playing the "seeking game," this book brings it all to a crashing halt. How? By pointing out a truth that is so obvious once seen, yet somehow escapes the attention of fully 99.9% of the people on the planet. And that truth is: YOU are Pure Consciousness.

To fully grasp the significance of this is mind-blowing, literally. You are pure awareness, that which is aware of all that you are conscious of. Thus, anything that you are conscious of cannot be you! So, your thoughts, feelings, experiences, images, moods, beliefs, your possessions, what you do, etc... none of it is who you are! You are the awareness which never changes and yet is undeniably here, present, right now.... or you could not be reading these words.

Each page of my copy of Consciousness is All is covered in highlight marks and notes in the margins. Here are just a few gems:

"Everything experienced by the human mind is always moving on, passing away, and not being present."

"Awareness must be who you really are, because nothing else is you."

"Pure Consciousness is the only You, and It never is confused with the things It appears to be conscious of."

"All any sensation can do is be the sensation it is. The five forms of sensation, whether taken individually or as a group, never are themselves conscious or intelligent. They're never You."

"Looking closely, you see it's always the stuff you seem to be aware of that's changing and passing, never Awareness Itself. Awareness, all by Itself alone, is present as pure Being, a changeless presence which simply, immovably is."

For those of you who are, (and like I was), tired of "chasing your tail," go to Amazon, get yourself a copy of this masterpiece and start reading it. Then stand back as everything around you crumbles to dust, except that which you truly are, pure Consciousness... and see how your life is, as the book's subtitle says, completely new!

-Michael

lucy

Re: You are Pure Consciousness

Post by lucy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:52 pm

Yes consciousness is all there is, that also includes the manifested, so in a sense you are also that which is moving, not just Awareness.

The reason I point this out is because it is very easy to see the manifested world as something separate from you when it is heard that you are Pure Awareness. Form and Formless. Emptiness and Fullness.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Yes lucy, I agree totally. Nicely stated.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

CFSLosAngeles

Post by CFSLosAngeles » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:04 am

lucy wrote:Yes consciousness is all there is, that also includes the manifested, so in a sense you are also that which is moving, not just Awareness.
The reason I point this out is because it is very easy to see the manifested world as something separate from you when it is heard that you are Pure Awareness. Form and Formless. Emptiness and Fullness.
kiki wrote:Yes lucy, I agree totally. Nicely stated.
Actually, this isn't true. The manifested comes and goes, and is temporary. Your true nature is permanent, with no beginning and no ending. A mother having a child doesn't mean the child is also the mother. It comes from the mother, but it is NOT the mother. A tree can appear within my awareness, but I cannot become the tree! Consciousness is present before the beginning of a perception. Consciousness remains after a perception has ended. One is eternal, the other isn't.

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 am

Consciousness is the whole kitten kaboodle. There is nothing outside of it. Look around do you see any real boundaries? There is diversity but it is not separation. Consciousness is like water, it (You) can exsis in different states, but it is all the same substance. In actuality there is no subject object. You are both subject and object. Seer and scernery. There is only You.

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:47 am

"Pure Consciousness is the only You, and It never is confused with the things It appears to be conscious of."

Can anyone clarify this statement for me? "With the things it appears to be conscious of" ?

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 am

I am not an object in Consciousness but its source, its Witness, pure shapeless Awareness.
You are and I am. But only as points in consciousness; we are nothing apart from consciousness. (92) You are not the body. You are the immensity and infinity of consciousness. (264) The source of consciousness cannot be an object in consciousness. To know the source is to be the source. When you realize that you are not the person, but the pure and calm witness, and that fearless awareness is your very being, you are the being. It is the source, the inexhaustible Possibility. (65) Discard all you are not and go ever deeper. Just as a man digging a well discards what is not water, until he reaches the water-bearing strata, so must you discard what is not your own, till nothing is left which you can disown. You will find that what is left is nothing which the mind can hook on to. You are not even a human being. You just are - a point of awareness, co-extensive with time and space and beyond both, the ultimate cause, itself uncaused. If you ask me "Who are you?", my answer would be: "Nothing in particular. Yet, I am." (318) I am not my body, nor do I need it. I am the witness only. I have no shape of my own. You are so accustomed to think of yourself as bodies having consciousness that you just cannot imagine consciousness as having bodies. Once you realize that bodily existence is but a state of mind, a movement in consciousness, that the ocean of consciousness is infinite and eternal, and that, when in touch with consciousness, you are the witness only, you will be able to withdraw beyond consciousness altogether. (327)
Do realize that it is not you who moves from dream to dream, but the dreams flow before you, and you are the immutable witness. No happening affects your real being - that is the absolute truth. (333) The witness is not a person. The person comes into being when there is a basis for it, an organism, a body. In it, the absolute is reflected as awareness. Pure awareness becomes self-awareness. When there is a self, self-awareness is the witness. When there is no self to witness, there is no witnessing either. It is all very simple; it is the presence of the person that complicates.

-Nisargadatta Maharaj in "I Am That"
Peace

mistral

Post by mistral » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:42 pm

I agree with the ones that say Pure Consciousness is before the images within It.

Pure Consciousness is timeless, It has no Source, It The Source that is without Beginning and without end; Eternal, Divine, Unseen Light, Unseen Presence Being the Isness of All that is. It is The Ineffable, It is Immutable, and Omnipresent, It was before the world was. It is The Holy Mystery That Is called the Unknown and Unknowable, yet It is Exists because It is the Source of all images within It. The world would not be at all if This Source was not Here or Behind this world experience. (Like a Great unseen Ship passing by, the world is the wake of the ship, so we know There is An Invisible Ship, because we see Its motion or movement as waves/world of images, things)

Images are always of time/space. Images are the 'tangible things' that are born of time; that includes it all, planets, galaxies, suns, stars, water, trees, bodies, birds, sand, microbes, snowflakes; whatever lasts but a matter of time, the transient things, the temporal things, whether they last a billion years or a few split seconds, we know that that 'time things' are not The Divine Eternal, Everlasting, Immutable, Timeless Consciouseness Itself. If it comes and goes then it is not 'the Real Everlasting' it is the image 'brought to you by' The Everlasting Light.

Remember the hologram idea. The world we see and live and explore is very much like a hologram; The Unseen Light (This Divine Light, Zero Point Light is a solid 'black' Light that is beyond the speed of our everyday light, the black background of which all matter is the contrast of). Anyway, I call this Unseen Light or The First Cause that Is not caused, I call It Divine Mind, Divine Intelligence, Godhead, or Divine Consciousness, Divine Awareness, all the same--- It is The Light that is causing the things we call the universe or this everyday experience. Things are like the holographic images within This Divine Light. Body, time, space, form, are all holograms shining from the Mind of God.

But, The Divine Glory is that (as Hermitloon shared Nisargadatta Maharaj in "I Am That" pointed out here, and Eckarht tells us) you and I are not this body, 'we' do not live inside the body. There is not a little person (me-sense) in this sack of skin and bones looking out its eye balls at the world. It seems like that, but seeming is just the way it is for now, and we are on the journey to realize the 'seeming' is 'not real'--- it is just 'God's' adventure for now---We are The Adventure, for now (We seek to understand because it is so good to know the images and events are ‘not real’ or are ‘just seeming’ because the adventure can get mighty rough at times).

The Real Self, the Eternal self is One with This Divine Awareness that Is Being All the images within It Self. Therefore The One you Really Are is never hurt or harmed (God really is Good, despite the ‘show’ going on; I know the reason and purpose for the ‘show’ now so I know the purpose is Good)

For now, we can let go the limited view of 'who we are' then we can Soar and Live to the Higher knowing of the Truth of Our Real Identity right here in the world of images---a Jesus said “Be in The World but not of It”. Just know this, YOU are Never outside of This Divine Unseen Light because Your True Self is always one with This Divine Solipsistic Presence. ( for now 'we' do not become The Infinite Oneness while in this world-body-time, we just understand that we are REALLY one with It despite the scene going on, hence to 'enjoy' the scene in ways that are more fearlessly or more confidently, graciously, joyfully, lovingly oriented)

Here is an analogy: Think of Consciousness as the TV set and the temporal forms, things, as images on the screen of the TV. When there is a movie about fire, and bombs, and oceans and dreams, we do not see the TV set burn up or float away, or blow up or wish It could awake from the dream, or afraid of the things on the screen. No, because, although the TV and Its FUNCTION (images) are one in the same, The TV is not harmed or hurt or hindered or washed away by the images on It screen. The TV would not be a TV if It were not functioning complete, whole TV without Its images--- they are one in the same, but the images are not 'real' in that they have no real power over the TV. The TV is the Power and Light, the images are Its function, thing that makes It a TV.

Love, Mistral

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:07 pm

Consciousness is the whole kitten kaboodle. There is nothing outside of it. Look around do you see any real boundaries?
Yes lucy.
CFS wrote:A mother having a child doesn't mean the child is also the mother.
This isn't what she means (I don't think). It's not that one form is another, as you correctly surmise. It's that there is no separation between consciousness and form. Yes, forms change while your formless true nature doesn't (how could it, being without form there is nothing to change), but there can't be form without formless consciousness - there is no separation. Another way of saying it is that formless consciousness knows itself through its manifested form. Pure consciousness is a perfect mirror which reflects and embodies every form. Without object, pure consciousness just is; with object, pure consciousness is, yet knows itself as form.

When observing, whatever is seen is consciousness as that object; when hearing, whatever is heard is consciousness as that sound; whatever is felt, is consciousness as that and so on. It is all one seamless whole, nondual in nature.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:22 pm

kiki wrote:This isn't what she means (I don't think). It's not that one form is another, as you correctly surmise. It's that there is no separation between consciousness and form. Yes, forms change while your formless true nature doesn't (how could it, being without form there is nothing to change), but there can't be form without formless consciousness - there is no separation. Another way of saying it is that formless consciousness knows itself through its manifested form. Pure consciousness is a perfect mirror which reflects and embodies every form. Without object, pure consciousness just is; with object, pure consciousness is, yet knows itself as form.

When observing, whatever is seen is consciousness as that object; when hearing, whatever is heard is consciousness as that sound; whatever is felt, is consciousness as that and so on. It is all one seamless whole, nondual in nature.
:)

mistral

Post by mistral » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Isn't it marvelous how many ways there are to say It. We are all saying the same thing in a variety of ways; the beauty of This Light's individual, unique expression of abundance and the variety of oneness --This Divine Wonder and Its ways are simply Perfect-- no two snowflake is alike, yet they are all snowflakes---not one grain of sand in all the deserts of all the lands, not one the same as the other. It is just awesome the implications of what we are. The Clearest Crystal (Godhead) makes so many flashing, dashing brilliant prisms of infinite color and radiance.

Love, Mistral

CFSLosAngeles

Post by CFSLosAngeles » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:17 am

First, I want to thank everyone for their responses to my original post. It's never about being "right" or "wrong," but always about getting closer to truth. In that spirit, I emailed Peter Dziuban, the author of CONSCIOUSNESS IS ALL, Lucy's, Kiki's and Mistral's responses. I wanted to hear directly from him (rather than trying to guess what he would say), and I am happy to report that he gave a very full response, which I give below.

Note that when Peter invites you to check out his video from last night, he is referring to the second interview he did with Richard Miller on http://www.nevernothere.com. (Btw, if you are not familiar with this website, it is a virtual goldmine of wonderful interviews with great non-duality teachers, all for free! :shock: Many of the speakers were new to me, but I am grateful to all of them as watching these videos has helped my understanding of our true nature immensely! Currently the home page has Peter's first video from two weeks ago up, but the new one, part II, should be up shortly).

In the meantime, I submit to you Peter's detailed response below, which I myself have read several times and believe it is well worth your time as well.

Love and Serenity,

Michael

Peter Dziuban responds:

The issue raised by Lucy and Kiki seems to be THE issue, and can really get "sticky" when we go to talk about it. If they care to watch it, I'd really suggest they look at the video from last night, so as to be clear why this is being said. They may not care for it--not many do.

The main point last night was to get away from the words Awareness or Consciousness and "start" with IS. I think Lucy and Kiki would agree that Awareness IS. The IS that Awareness is, is ALL THAT IS--so in a sense, Awareness is all, and the appearances appear as a sort of "overlay" on that unchanging ISNESS-ALL, much like the movement of the images in a movie upon the unchanging screen. And, in a sense, it could be said that the IS of Awareness (the screen) is really the "stuff" underlying all the movie images, too. Yes, it certainly appears that way. Yes, it appears as if Awareness includes time. It appears so. But to whom does it appear that way? To the Pure Infinity of Awareness, or to the mind?

The confusion comes in when we try to mix IS with the time-forms, the time-phenomena or appearances. We're not specific and clear enough with what's undeniably true of Pure Awareness which IS, and with the nature of appearances. For this to be clear, you have to be brutally honest with what's true of IS. Most importantly, you have to START with IS ALONE, and nothing else. Why? Because that's what IS ITSELF is "doing" and IT is the only One being, or being conscious. IS has to be the only "premise" for simply nothing else is that could be a premise. The so-called observing "mind" that claims to experience forms NEVER does that because all mind activity would be 100% time-based.

In IS, there is only present tense. Period. That's what Is, Being, Now, the Present, mean. There is NO time passing...time never occurs...IS is the complete, utter absence of time. Period. You have to REALLY deal with that, otherwise this simply never can be clear. Most importantly, this is not "Peter's" theory or "teaching"--It's what naturally, normally, unavoidably IS, right where "you" consciously are. Where no time is passing, there is no change (change requires time). There are no forms being formed or appearing, no creation occurring (takes time). There is no cause (takes time). This also means IS, Being, Self is NOT a source, not a cause. Just to repeat: not only is IS not caused (no time in which a cause could operate), IS equally does not cause anything for the same reason. All causes and their effects would require time to come about, of which there is none in IS. Of course, this comes as a shock to human thinking and all our pre-learned spiritual ideas about the Divine being a cause or creator.

The moment there is an attempt to mention or account for appearances, forms, etc.--what's actually happening? You have left the IS of Pure Awareness, and are operating in time as a thinking, observing finite mentality, supposedly witnessing forms, activity, time-passage...but that all would be the time-mind that seemingly experiences that, not IS. Only the would-be "mind" is claiming to experience finite, observable forms and time--not the Infinite, not Pure Awareness which IS. IS does not experience, for that, too, would take time. IS is. Period. It is only the would-be "mind" (which, if it really existed, that seems to be a cause, conceiver, or creator) so naturally it conceives that it's God or Divine ALSO is a cause or creator--but that's all mind-babble assuming that, not IS. IS can't assume anything, because in Pure IS, no time passes in which an assumption could occur. And as IS is ALL THAT IS, there is nothing besides Itself that It could assume!

BELIEVE ME, this is not popular with the "mind," especially a mind that assumes it has become enlightened and become spiritual, because THAT TOO would require time--of which there is NONE in PURE IS. IS leaves the "time-mind" as never having begun! And the moment there is a thought, "Yes, but what about such and such..." you are back in thought and acting in ignorance (or ignore-ance) because you have to first ignore your own PURE ISNESS to think, observe, experience.

This does NOT mean Awareness, Self, is "anti-" appearances...they're left completely alone. One doesn't try to get rid of them, "unsee them," or do anything with THEM. One is wholly busy as the Pure Aware NOW that IS effortlessly is. So the appearances still appear to be there...so what? Actually, as Timeless IS completely precludes time-appearances, how could It be "anti" something that never really began? It isn't! All that IS is "concerned" with is Its own ISNESS.

Hope that helps clarify...please let me know. Again, if anyone wants to hear more on this point, I would suggest they look at the 2nd NNH interview, which discusses this very thing.

Peter

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:33 am

Thanks, Peter. I chatted the other day with Gary Weber ("Happiness Beyond Thought.") In that conversation I said "I am" feels too dualistic. "Amness IS" feels better. Bully for me.

So then, since anything manifested is fodder for the mind/body, and is full of that mental concept "time," what is all this time/matter/energy/life stuff anyway? Even if it's all illusory, even good movies make our hearts pound, and I'll tell you, Chopin and Eva Cassidy just make me cry...with deep joy. And I like golf. And I get enthusiastic about lots of stuff...like kindergartners, whom I teach. And rebuilding hay balers. (Yes, when I dig around with my little monkey-mind there is no "I" to hang onto. Doesn't mean a Pacific Coast sunset can't bring up a moment of transcendent wonder.)

Y'know what, I've got my own little take on this (shared by many). Our job, enlightened or not, is to enjoy the day, to enjoy and relish the present moment...to nurture, manifest and inspire enthusiasm, in everything we do. Lila in Maya. And as the Heart Sutra Says: Emptiness is Form, Form is Emptiness. ("And that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know... :) ")

It is threads like these...pixels on a screen...thoughts and feelings entering a mind and heart...that cause me to erupt with gratitude...thanks all.

My two cents...

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Fenn

Post by Fenn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:09 pm

The central assertion; Consciousness is all, is fine.

But that must include ALL arisings no matter their status. 'IS' means what is - isness!!

Otherwise we have a major dualism similar to the purusha (Consciousness), prakriti (matter) split of the Samkhya school.

In Buddhism this relationship between Awareness and form is central to its philosophy. That's why the Heart sutra states: Form is emptiness; emptiness is form. Not two!! Thusness (IS), AS IT IS! According to Nagarjuna, Nirvana is Samsara (this conventional world of phenomena) correctly 'understood' (i.e. empty of inherent existence and dependently arising.) Phenomena is not denied.

If the manifestation is to be deemed to be some kind of illusion, then at least acknowledge that it is a real illusion. The appearance clearly has some kind of ontological status in order for it to be known. The content of an illusion could be said to be unreal but the 'phenomenon' of the illusion itself, by default has a certain 'reality'.

This reality seems to be denied in Peter's book.

Fenn

James

Post by James » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Compelling topic... I like the way Fenn stated it. The old Zen masters used the crack of the stick on the students head to make this point without words. If there is no one there, who/what feels/experiences pain?

I sometimes prefer the word dream rather than illusion. Illusion can lead to nihilistic connotations. From my view it is essential to awakening, to realize that the world of form is a dream or hologram, and that its substance is a manifestation of awareness or consciousness.

Ultimately none of these words or concepts are of much value, unless we have direct realization of what they point to and beyond, otherwise it is just academic. "Jargon thrashing" as one member here refers to it, keeps thought engaged, trying to figure it all out, and then making a nice complete treatise, or unified theory out of what is essentially a great mystery, beyond words and thoughts. But even the game thought plays of searching and trying to understand, and put it in words, stems from IS-ness, how could it be otherwise?

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."