Enlightenment? Who Cares...

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:33 pm

I’m just finishing Jac O’Keefe’s book “Born to be Free.” It’s fine for what it is – reminding us that even our mind is a concept, that we really don’t exist as individuals, that even the “observer” is dualistic, etc… She makes an interesting point about the value of self-esteem (it’s OK to feel lovable and capable.).

But this author, Scott Kiloby, UG Krishnamurti, Leonard Jacobsen, Tony Parsons, and even our revered Nisargadatta get stuck reminding us of what we are not. Fortunately, Eckhart has a way of speaking that is less bombastic. Eckhart talks about flowers, “an emanation of love and joy,” and his prose is beautiful. So, by the way is William Samuel’s – thanks, mistral for your constant reminder…

So is Gwyneth Paltrow’s face. So is an infant’s smile. So is a sunset, a Chopin Prelude, Basho’s haiku, a mother’s loving glance at her child, a Dad helping his son fix a broken bicycle. So is a fawn, a 60-foot putt, so are wind chimes.

And it doesn’t really matter if this is all illusion, and the Absolute is all that really exists. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter. Beauty is self-validating, by any possible measure, and by comparison with any other experience, sensation or awakening. In fact, those who have awakened, if only for a day, express the experience in artistic terms (A beautiful experience, etc… double check Adya’s long interview in Emptiness Dancing). It also doesn’t matter if, for most of us, appreciation for beauty is only temporary. The experience of love and natural wonder exists in the present moment, and it can bring us to presence from deepest grief or self-pity.

It does matter that we experience the “natural state of felt oneness with Being” (ET’s definition of enlightenment.) It matters because then much more of life can sing to us with its natural wonder and beauty, not interrupted by the stream of mental stories which usually enslaves us.

We need more expressions of the delight and joy present in form. Why should there be form if there is not beauty in it? And I include romantic love in this; honest, caring relationships provide comfort and solace, even among the great “unenlightened.” Even if sometimes imperfect responses like resentment and irritation happen. If we seek our true Self and “find” it, we can expect to find the best parts of our loved ones exalted there, too.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

the key master

Re: Enlightenment? Who Cares...

Post by the key master » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:23 pm

Running out but just wanted to say this thread title made my day. Thanks Andy :D

jason

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:24 pm

:D
Who am I without my story?

Cleis Pearce

Post by Cleis Pearce » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:26 am

Absolutely thanks.CP.

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:48 am

Not just delight and joy. Even other emotions. Sometimes when I get really angry, I can feel the emotion so intensely by watching it. The energy that arises is like a dormant volcano erupting. The emotion is so raw it is exhilarating, just like peace and joy.
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.

steph H

Post by steph H » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Amen :D

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Fine point, e2p re other emotions. We live. There is immensity in this life, a wondrous "suchness" and power even in emotions we decide are "darker." But it is those emotions, and the suffering we build into our dwelling on them that is relieved by experiencing unity consciousness -- wherein the game of form/life is seen so clearly as a game.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 pm

In my experience, feelings are are felt more intensely and fully because there is no longer fear of "negative" feelings.

Jac O'Keffe is great. Many of the awakened convey lightness and humor, but she does it so vivaciously that it's contagious. She doesn't take any of it seriously, and yet her compassion for the people who do is manifest.

nodoubt

Post by nodoubt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:27 am

sighclone wrote:so are wind chimes.
While listening to wind chimes- I sometimes enter another dimension(the now vs. mental activity)
Thanks for the lovely thread.

chad

Post by chad » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:14 am

The Universe itself is a thought, a thought from which was born a dream, which is partially visible as matter. … You are infinite, you are eternal, within you are your dreams of creation.
what, at this moment, is lacking?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:11 am

All good, Chad...thanks!

Andy

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:24 pm

In another thread here: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =10&t=6020 I mention that I was still reading Jac O'Keeffe's book "Born to be Free." As is my habit, this is my new favorite book!!

I'll give a formal review later, but one thing is certain, this book has a beginning, a middle and an end. And it should be read in that direction. (If only because it's more fun that way...there are nuggets everywhere.) My comments in the other thread are negative regarding her constantly telling us what we are not...good thing I mentioned that I had not finished it... :) !!!

Regarding maya, or the elements of consciousness we call form, she says: "All experiences exist solely for your enjoyment." That, of course includes the experience of "I." But if your experience of "I" has any element of stress, of suffering, then you are having not only the experience of "I," but you have added the belief that "I" (substitute your name here) is real.

Have you ever had fun "playing make believe?" It may have been a while, but we all have done it. After you discard any beliefs that "I" exists, you can still play!! And, like Jac's personality, it's likely to be a lot more fun.

Namaste, Andy