God's Game

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Sighclone

God's Game

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:33 pm

OK. So we have all read about Source, Absolute, Pure Awareness, the Unmanifest, Brahmin Unity Consciousness, Emptiness Dancing, God, the Tao, etc. Some of us “sort of understand it intellectually and try to imagine it.” Some of us live there, and noplace else forever. And some of us are somewhere in between.

If Source exists outside of time, is present everywhere and nowhere, everywhen and never, is unbounded and unmeasurable, contains “no thing” yet is immanent in everything, then why are there Cheerios?

Why is there maya?

My humble opinion is this: Source may be pregnant, full of “suchness,” full of potential, immensely full of intelligence and life, but it is unmanifest.

And boring.

Yup, boring. Not only is there no grief and suffering, but there is no real meaty fun either. So why not dream up a “universe.” With things called “matter,” time,” “dark matter,” “energy,” “atoms,” “planets,” “thoughts” and “people.” And let ‘em roll. And enjoy the game. And maybe let them in on the game, too….the people, that is…at least as much as they can figure out.

Took Western science about 400 years to stumble across quantum mechanics, which was the first really big “clue” to the Western mind that there might be a game going on here. Shakespeare caught on: "All the world's a stage..."

And people like Nanci Danison to hang in there through a near-death experience and tell us a little more. Of course it was all there in the oldest recorded Sanskrit writing…but that stuff only got translated in the last 90 years….

I say “play on.” Just because it is a game, doesn’t mean it can’t be fun. After all, that’s why it exists….lila in maya…and the beat goes on….

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Marcel Franke

Re: God's Game

Post by Marcel Franke » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:41 am

Andy:
>I say “play on.”

Of course, if God tells God to play on, then there is Nobody to pass judgement on that.
And SHe may decide upon a brake right Now.
---ooOoo---

Grautgramsen

Post by Grautgramsen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:34 am

Sighclone wrote: If Source exists outside of time [...] Why is there maya?

My humble opinion is this: Source may be pregnant, full of “suchness,” full of potential, immensely full of intelligence and life, but it is unmanifest.

And boring.

Yup, boring. Not only is there no grief and suffering, but there is no real meaty fun either. So why not dream up a “universe.” With things called “matter,” time,” “dark matter,” “energy,” “atoms,” “planets,” “thoughts” and “people.” And let ‘em roll. And enjoy the game. And maybe let them in on the game, too….the people, that is…at least as much as they can figure out.
Why does the manifest world exist? God only knows how many theories and philosophies have been created to answer that question, but the fact remains that nobody really knows. This is something that appears to be beyond human comprehension, but maybe we're asking the wrong question. Could it be that "why" is not exactly a relevant question?

To say that the unmanifest is boring, and that a manifested world therefore had to come into existence to make it all more "interesting" or "fun" doesn't make sense. Boredom belongs to the manifest world, more specifically to the human mind at its present stage of development. The unmanifest by definition means just that - no externalised appearance (like cheerios) and also no internalised appearance (like boredom). If you can attach any qualities whatsoever to "it", then it's obviously in the realm of the manifested world.

The human mind is always looking for explanations, reasons and conclusions, and it's a game that can be both "interesting" and "fun", but it doesn't ultimately lead anywhere, at least not in terms of spiritual transformation.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:14 am

GG:
> and it's a game that can be both "interesting" and "fun", but it doesn't ultimately lead anywhere

Then one can play or not, and no more insight is needed.

---ooOoo---
---ooOoo---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:29 pm

No argument, Graut. I fully confess to anthropomorphizing a "God" persona with a human characteristic, boredom. But I'm writing a sci-fi novel, and a similar point is made there in a humorous "play within a play.". No effort to advance spiritual awareness, just a passing speculation from my little body/mind. I do like, intuitively, the "mental concept" of lila in maya (and, of course, I'm not alone in that.) Jac O'Keeffe's new book reminds us of something kind of interesting: the "Absolute" or "Pure Awareness" - yup: mental concepts, too. But we need to use some kind of word/concept to communicate in language...darn. :) Hey, nice blog...!

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce