Fear of death

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
zeesh18

Fear of death

Post by zeesh18 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:56 am

The mind wont stop fearing the death. My uncle just passed away day before yesterday. I went to the funeral saw the dead body saw everyone crying also noticed the intense fear of dying inside me. Me, my cousins , my dad, mom, aunt, brothers all were discussing about the life after death and what happens when someone dies. What happens to the soul? and all . So we were discussing these topics and I started feeling this intense fear of dying. The mind says what if ur heart stops and u die right now ? "Your gonna die one day" Then i find myself imagining me dead and whats happening to my soul and really fearing the pain of death. Mind says im gonna die oneday so whats the use of living life ? Everything looks meaningless now.Im lost in the journey of awakening.I feel like im gonna go crazy. Is there any end to this suffering ? I dont find anything interesting now. Cant find a movie interesting. Stopped playing my guitar. The only thing I find myself doing is imagine all the horrible outcomes and suffer. Does anyone have a release techinque? e.g Sedona method ? It would be very helpful if anyone could email it to me to the following address : zeeshanrahman66@yahoo.com
I need a guide I cant do this thing alone and isnt it hard to awaken if ur home enviroment is very egoistic ? I have 2 brothers I am the youngest one my eldest brother is lost in his on delusional world. All he does is stand and think all day and doesnt take interest in whats going on around. Elder brother just keeps on thinking and laughing but atleast he talks to me. My dads life is his office and then sleep. My family really lack presence and everyone is fully identified by their mind. I know im all complaining here but this environment effects me alot and makes it harder for me to be present.

Ananda

Re: Fear of death

Post by Ananda » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:22 am

Hello zeesh

It's actually quite fortunate that your attention won't rest on anything other than solving this, it's a good opportunity for you
I have some questions that you might want to direct to yourself;

Are you your mind?
Are you the thinker of thoughts?
Who are you in relation to thoughts?
Are you the body?
Are you the 'doer' of the body?

If you are none of the above, then who are you?

In relation to you, what is the soul?
In relation to you, what is life?

Before you do anything, enquire into exactly who you are. You don't have to come back here with any answers, i'm not asking for a philosophical debate or anything, and nor am I going to tell you who you are. Start with where you are, discover this for yourself only :) good luck!

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:22 pm

It sounds like a bit of an anxiety attack and yes, a release method will help. Try EFT, Sedona, or the beyond-karma release technique.

It seems to be common to go through periods where we feel others' unconsciousness acutely. At these times, what's helped me is:
know that everyone does absolutely the best they can under their conditioning
whatever angers or offends us in others is always because we are afraid of the same thing in us
observe it all with a smile, without analyzing or judging or wanting to change it

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:19 pm

zeesh18,
What do you fear... death or dying? Consider: death is not the opposite of life, it is the opposite of birth. Birth and death are just unique experiences in the process of living a physical existance. Broaden your perspective beyond the birth and death events and the experience of death may take its proper place.

Read this section and begin an in depth study of what you fear. The light of understanding will chase away many a shadowy demon.

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... m.php?f=47

Greater understanding of Life, birth, and death will bring an appreciation for living through a physical shell. Face your fear and follow your curiosity. It is just a mind set of innacurate assumptions that cause you this anxiety. The truth will set you free...

WW

OneLove

Post by OneLove » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:33 am

Hey zeesh, I have to admit, when I think of it I'm absolutely frightened of death. Know one knows for sure right? This fear your experiencing doesn't have to consume you like this. You can harness this fear and use it to your advantage. Just think of death as an absolute negative in terms of potential. You'll have no interests, no mind, no personal relationships, no belongings, you'll have nothing. You will be at the mercy of the universe with no control over anything. Now, think of your life now. You have all the things you won't have when your dead, plus more. You literally have infinite potential as a living being. You have conrtoll over your own destiny for this short time. Since you don't know what death is, you know what life is. Life is the best thing you have as far as your concerned my friend. You're really in the best spot you'll ever be in. Go, be fruitful and multiply.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:20 am

Well said OneLove. I think Anthony de Mello said worry more about life before death than life after death.

OneLove

Post by OneLove » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:40 am

Amen!

mistral

Post by mistral » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Dear Zeesh, I have been trying to find the right word here for you, but I come up empty---then this morning, once again, I am prodded by angels to tell you about this little booklet that is so very helpful in understanding the basic premise of all this Reality vs unreal, and non-duality stuff; Please read this book (it is free)

http://www.williamsamuel.com/booktitles.html

Scroll down the page to the bottom and you find a little book (red with fish on the cover) titled
Two Plus Two Equals Reality

there is a free pdf there and you can read the whole booklet for free.

It is worth the visit, honest---but, do not stop at the first words there, keep reading, it gets better and more interesting as you get into it--also, keep in mind, it was first published in 1958, so the wording is kind of old fashion, but do not let that stop you--- the message is Timeless and Honest and Truth (so are all of William Samuel's books, I am sure you will find them sweet, simple, clear and very helpful on your path).

Anyway, that is what transpired this morning, after I could not find my own words to share with you--and the angels have always pointed me in the right direction, when I listen-- :roll:

Love to you, Mistral

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:30 am

You are in quite a situation! You fear death but you dont see any point in living?!! Its not the fear of death....its the fear of the unknown. Its true that birth and death are very close to each other in many ways. The waiting, the worrying, the fear of giving birth are very similiar to the process involved in dying. Any woman will tell you all the practice and techniques in the world go out the window the minute it starts! Even adept spiritual people get it wrong at the end sometimes. None of us can truely say how we would behave at the point of death or what lies beyond...thats a belief....and thats why so many people believe .....because ...like you say...whats the point otherwise? Fear is a terrible thing, its shackles round ones ankles. You can either succumb to it or go out blazing! Go out blazing and you will find its nothing at all! As to your apathy let it be...that too will pass...(unless of course its biochemical!)

zeesh18

Post by zeesh18 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey peaceman you are right im fearing the unknown. Whats gonna happen after death ? How is it going to feel ? Since im going to die oneday so whats the use of living ? Life seems very meaningless now. Im also fearing when the angel of death comes to me and takes me. What if my heart stops right now ? All these creating anxiety. Is it the ego ?

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:57 pm

I am very blunt zeesh so please excuse me! No its not the ego its bloody stupidity!! :lol: I cannot fathom the mind that lives in fear of death. I am sure others on this site will be more sympathatic :oops: I dont mean to be cruel or dismissive, lets say I am very limited in imagination? I mean "angel of death" etc Look, what I think it is is society has treated death so long as a taboo subject that people have created imaginary notions of it. The best description of death or the reaction to death I have ever read was Patrick White the Australian novelist erm now the title just wont come! Anyway, in this novel the nurse who tends the dying old lady, who incidentally dies on the commode with full makeup on her face!! goes out into the morning air(after the lady has died that is) and the description of the nurses feelings etc is fantastic. Romantic maybe but depending on age etc I have found death experiences to be extremely enlightening and mostly beautiful. But I guess that is me. We can generalise, and mostly there is nothing to fear, pain management is available mostly, heart attacks and the like are mostly quick, ( note how many time I have used "mostly"!) The character comes out strongly with death, especially in the case of those with lingering illnesses. When I spoke above of death being beautiful, I was speaking of the very end. Prolonged pain and illness leading to death is distressing but again should be managed by the medical profession with the help of the patient. Sorry for going on so but I think you will find the REALITY OF DEATH is much less frightening than the IMAGINATION OF DEATH. They say that one conquers ones fear by approaching that fear. Maybe you should volunteer in a hospice or a hospital or something similiar? The close up reality of death will give you a better perspective. Do hope I havent offended anyone? And I am GENERALISING.(I am in two minds whether or not to delete this post!! )
Last edited by Peaceman on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eggman1

Post by Eggman1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:12 am

Dear Mistral,

Your 'angels' have helped me greatly through your recommendation of "Two Plus Two". What an absolutely amazing document. It beautifully summarizes the "Truth" I have been accumulating and trying to process and apply through reading Tolle, this website, and other material. It brought happy tears to my eyes and the banishment of a whole boatload of anxiety over my recent life situation developments.

I am grateful for you and your 'angels', thank you!

Peace and love, Gregg
Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves -
regret for the past and fear of the future.
-- Fulton Oursler

mistral

Post by mistral » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:44 am

Dear Child Heart Gregg,

I thank you also for sharing your Joy---the wonders never cease---

My angels were right---I gotta always trust 'em.

Much Love, Mistral

mistral

Post by mistral » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:59 am

Dear Fearful,

Another little note from my friend William----

"The Awareness that reads these words will never experience "death" any more than Light will ever experience darkness, the contradistinction by means of which Light is tangibly comprehended. We note that the power lies with light, the least spark of which cannot be subdued by all the darkness in the universe.

"Death is real only if Deity ceases to be conscious of existing. The Awareness that "sees," "feels," and does all that constitutes Self-consciousness, will never die, will never stop being aware, will never cease being conscious. Why? Because Awareness is Deity's activity, not the personal activity of an opinion-holding ego.

All that "must surely die" is the belief that such an ego exists, capable of being the custodian of Awareness. The possessor is of few days and full of trouble. It flourishes in the warmth of its own concoctions, to be cut down and cast into its own hell of values which it gives to valueless images.

Death is the appearance of the inevitable sacrifice of the possessor's values and opinions. That which man assigns the greatest value often appears to be devalued before him or taken from him, even as all he hates is usually heaped upon his shoulders, until he sees that nothing is good or bad; until he sees that nothing is to be cherished or despised; until he sees that "things" are being just what they are being - "things" - and that perfectly! (William Samuel---A Guide To Awareness and Tranquility)

Rather than post this all here---go see this one: http://www.williamsamuel.com/08-19-07-The%20Body.htm

With Love, Mistal

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:36 am

'Conscious of existing' , what a beautiful pointer, mistral.

So, a fear of death, is it?

Let's have a look at what death is.

Normally, we associate death with the way in which the body ceases to be. However, that is not the case, death is always the same, there's never any variation. The way in which the body reaches death may be varied, but death has no variation. So then, death is not what causes the absence of the body, death is the absence of the body. So, absence of the body, absence of sense perception, absence of thoughts, absence of the world, absence of experience.

Deep Sleep.

Where is the body then? Thoughts? The world?

In deep sleep, the body is absent. It has ceased to be. It is dead.

What a relief it is! After a good night's sleep the body is so refreshed and renewed! Reborn, even.

The body, aswell as thoughts, are also an experience. In deep sleep, one remains as oneself only, pure awareness. It's an amusing paradox, because in deep sleep, and so death, one is unfettered by any experience whatsoever, any object, that means that (although one is always already the Self) one is technically 'closer' to oneself in this state. How funny!

So then, this means that death is not ultimately real. It is the absence of the body only, not absence of the Self. Perhaps 'death' then has lost it's meaning, because the death of the body reveals pure Life only.