Why are you on this board?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
lucy
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:09 pm

Why are you on this board?

Post by lucy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Just curious to know why people come to this forum. My orignal reason for coming here was to seek answers so that I could awaken. It seems many people come here to discuss ideas (I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that), just curious to know.

karmarider
Posts: 2141
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by karmarider » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:50 pm

lucy wrote:Just curious to know why people come to this forum. My orignal reason for coming here was to seek answers so that I could awaken. It seems many people come here to discuss ideas (I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that), just curious to know.
1. I enjoy it.
2. I write about awakening. I rely only on direct experience and take the view that everyone must and do discover Truth on their own. Techniques, pointers and some awareness of possible obstacles can help. Right now, I am exploring awakening solutions to addictions.
3. Yes, there is a lot of discussion, platitudes, philosophies, beautiful concepts, spirituality...but even all that can be revealing.

Oh, and the hot women.
Last edited by karmarider on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

karmarider
Posts: 2141
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by karmarider » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:58 pm

:)
Last edited by karmarider on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eputkonen
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Contact:

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by eputkonen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:54 pm

lucy wrote:Just curious to know why people come to this forum. My orignal reason for coming here was to seek answers so that I could awaken. It seems many people come here to discuss ideas (I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that), just curious to know.
I enjoy this forum. It's fun. It is kind of like asking a child, "why do you play?"
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

Glycine
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 pm

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by Glycine » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:59 am

karmarider wrote: Cease to cherish opinion and rely only on direct experience.
Direct experience can be misleading. For example, direct experience can lead to many optical illusions.
But then, what do we have to rely on? Could it be that there's nothing to rely on?

User avatar
kiki
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: Wherever "here" happens to be

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by kiki » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:15 am

lucy wrote:My orignal reason for coming here was to seek answers so that I could awaken.
Has this board been helpful to you?
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

User avatar
Amritam
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by Amritam » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:39 am

I am here to learn.
To have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.~ Tilopa

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6668
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:46 am

I come to this forum because it offers a unique venue for the exploration of the nature of
consciousness - both in the questions that are asked and the answers that are offered. Participation offers a microcosm of those same opportunities within my own being. Besides that it's cool to share insights with fellow explorers.

WW

sanjay
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:56 am

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by sanjay » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:23 am

Its the insights I get from the questions others ask :)

What I have gained is all those questions that I have dropped ... letting go of need to know ...

Thanks
"Let Your Will Be Done, Not Mine."

User avatar
Ananda
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 am
Location: Manchester, England
Contact:

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by Ananda » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:02 am

dunno

enigma
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by enigma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:28 am

sanjay wrote:Its the insights I get from the questions others ask :)

What I have gained is all those questions that I have dropped ... letting go of need to know ...

Thanks
My answer is most closely aligned with this one. When I read, I look within. When i speak, i look within. For those who are here for fun, I apologize ahead of time for spoiling it. :wink:

User avatar
Marcel Franke
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by Marcel Franke » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:53 am

> eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth

It had such a kinky ring to it....
---ooOoo---

User avatar
kiki
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: Wherever "here" happens to be

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by kiki » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:32 pm

I find each response I make an opportunity to remain present and then see how my response flows. In other words, each moment becomes a new way of experiencing "this" as it comes through me.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

borris83
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:16 am

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by borris83 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Ananda wrote:dunno
I would say the same...

But Lucy, I can see why you asked this question :) ...

I think It would be much helpful if you don't define a purpose to be in the forum... And also, I sense a seriousness in your post but I may be wrong...

Everyone agrees with you when you say that we must rely only on direct experience.. And in my life, sometimes I went even beyond this opinion and thought 'Don't rely on something even if it is your direct experience..." Because what we rely on is actually an interpretation of the mind about that experience and the interpretations always change..

Regarding my post about Samadhi experiences of Ramana Maharishi, I just posted what I have heard... It is just as simple as that... And this forum is not limited to one purpose..

It is serving different purposes for me now as listed below, not in any particular order:

1)When I see people posting wonderful posts regarding their experiences and understanding, I see that a large number of people are actually awakening.. It helps me in not forming any spiritual ego...

2) And I agree with Sanjay "insights I get from the questions others ask"

3)Sometimes, it feels terrible to have a kind of experience that no one we know has experienced before..There is a relief when someone in the forum says that he has had the same kind of experience.. You then know that you are not alone and hence nothing has gone wrong.

4) To discuss things... :D It is natural for the mind to have an interest in discussing something but will be difficult to handle it when no one around you could make any sense of what you are discussing..At least here, you find people to whom you can discuss things with.
Of course, the need to discuss things and give our opinion comes from the ego but it is nothing wrong to give some sweets to ego once in a while; Otherwise it will come back with great vengeance. After all, ego is not our enemy but a image that is mistaken to be our real nature.

5) Before a couple of years, I used to have a notepad in which I occasionally noted down the names of spiritual teachers and helpful books, so that I can look for more information on them later. There is no need to do that anymore because here, in this forum, I get introduced to every wonderful book or teacher available.

6) When I try to answer a question, I am immediately pulled to present moment and the awareness alone starts to shine sharply without any thoughts..

7) As Eric said, 'For fun'.. And I would give the same reason if someone asks me 'why do you live this life?"..

8) Or probably I can give this reason 'I simply love to be in this forum'...There can't be any reason for love; No 'why's..

9) Sometimes I also seem to derive a sense of self :lol: ... Unable to avoid that, but it is recognized though

lucy
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: Why are you on this board?

Post by lucy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks for all your answers everyone.
borris83 wrote:But Lucy, I can see why you asked this question ...

I think It would be much helpful if you don't define a purpose to be in the forum... And also, I sense a seriousness in your post but I may be wrong...

Everyone agrees with you when you say that we must rely only on direct experience.. And in my life, sometimes I went even beyond this opinion and thought 'Don't rely on something even if it is your direct experience..." Because what we rely on is actually an interpretation of the mind about that experience and the interpretations always change..

Regarding my post about Samadhi experiences of Ramana Maharishi, I just posted what I have heard... It is just as simple as that... And this forum is not limited to one purpose..

It is serving different purposes for me now as listed below, not in any particular order:

1)When I see people posting wonderful posts regarding their experiences and understanding, I see that a large number of people are actually awakening.. It helps me in not forming any spiritual ego...

borris83,
This question did not arise from my question about direct experience, although I can see how you might think otherwise. Nor is this question meant to be serious in trying to define purpose. I asked the question because I was having a conversation with a friend and we got on the topic of what drives the spirtual search. Often pain and suffering is involved, but sometimes people are born with what seems to me a thirst to know the truth from very early on. I have watched many videos and interviews with people (conscioustv is an excellent resource by the way) who say that they had this from very early on. I was just curious to see how many people here were driven here by the dissatisfaction in their lives or did they just have this "innate" need to know.

Kiki,
kiki wrote:Has this board been helpful to you?
Yes, this board has been helpful, but not in the way I originally thought it would be. After many years of spirtually searching, I came across ET. A lot of what he said in PON conflicted with the ideas I carried around of sprituality. The main one being that I could fix my "life" through some sort of spirtual practice. I had fears of going deeper into the teachings because some of them seemed so radical to the ego. One of main fears was that the teachings were "cultish" and that if I let go, I would never be able to function in the world. One of Kik'is posts really helped in addressing this fear. Fear of losing control was the big hurdle for me, once I got over that, I relaxed and the teachings slowly seeped in and helped to "awaken the guru within".

Post Reply