So to get rid of Anxiety, is just to take it head on?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
tylernator

So to get rid of Anxiety, is just to take it head on?

Post by tylernator » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Ive always had a problem with anxiety, but now that im realizing that it was me the whole time, nothing at all from the events, but from what i made of the events, im starting to get a grip. But anxiety still seems strong. To get rid of this, do i need to just enter the present and just take whatever i feel? Sometimes the feelings are really scary, i get all shaky, my muscles will twitch.. i think its just a lot of past anxiety built up. So do i need to release it by just letting it be? Im really starting to be able to sense what eckhart is saying. Just trying to get a few pointers from people that have had anxiety and how they got rid of it. Its just sometimes i give into the feelings and start labeling it, and then i feel guilty that i did that. I want to be strong, im starting to sense what my life used to be like before i developed anxiety thoughts. Its just them thoughts still creep in and will scare the shit out of me lol..especially in situations where i feel its more noticable.
Like someone said, its pretty simple really, just drop it, like dropping a ball...So do i need to stop even creating a "self" by saying i have anxiety? And just let the feelings be and not even worry about it? I want the good feelings like used to have..it seems like ive built up all of these negative emotions that i cant seem to let go.
I can deff telll my bodys been taking a toll too.. i get twitches all around sometimes from my body, my stomach will make weird sounds. I feel like any moment im gonnna die..i think im dealing with ptsd from me being stuipid and overdosing on corriceden and thinking i was gonna die. Ever since then ive created this big anxiety about dieing. Im always having these thoughts of me having a heart attack or something crazy..to the point where i laught sometimes on how stuipid it is..but i cant seem to get rid of it.. Because i feel like its "me" now. I want that space i used to have before i had all these worried thoughts..so back to the question lol.. To handle this, just become present? And let the feelings be? And dont get wrapped up in what my mind will make of a story? thx guys

Marcel Franke

Re: So to get rid of Anxiety, is just to take it head on?

Post by Marcel Franke » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi Tyler !

Just a little curious about your feelings when you wrote that message,
but I suppose I-m too late again...

GrüssGott,
MF.
---ooOoo---

tylernator

Post by tylernator » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Well i was nervous and tense writing it, but after i felt a little calmness and peace underneath..Releasing maybe?

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 pm

There was this time nearly two years ago, I was on holiday. I got very drunk late in the night, and went out walking by myself. I remember talking to random strangers and being loud mouthed, even jumping off high walls and generally fooling about. This was completely contrary to what I considered my normal nature. The morning after, when I was nursing a hangover in the shower I felt incredibly anxious that I had made a fool of myself the night before, as random flashbacks came flooding in. I sat down in the shower to let all the memories come flooding in, and then I realised something. I realised that there was something present the night before which had enabled and allowed all of those bad experiences to happen. And I realised that was present in the bathroom too, letting all of the memories come, and all of the anxietes bubble. That something which was present throughout all of those experiences was myself, my real nature. After I had realised, I sat on the couch letting everything unfold in myself, it was one of the most beautiful experiences I can recall, and probably the first I can recall of truly 'letting go'. In order to truly let go, realise that which cannot be gotten rid of and enables all experience to happen.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:05 am

Stresses very rarely vanish on their own. You must bring them into Presence, allow them to thrash about while remaining the observer. They only have so much energy. The action of witnessing from Presence itself does two things, (1) it allows old garbage to flop around and fizzle, and (2) you get some continuous time in Stillness...it will become more familiar. The "Power" of Now is vast and sufficient to any stress.

The owning, accepting, fully inviting, not fearing or shrinking from harbored stresses is the first step to ending their power in your life. It is part of The Sedona Method, and part of Byron Katie's "four questions and a turnaround" technique from thework.com. Doing this refines, expands and empowers your Awareness, too.

These comments are from personal experience.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

tylernator

Post by tylernator » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:13 am

thanks alot guys for the great posts...The one thing that i think has been keeping me from presence, is what would i be without the stressful thoughts? Sometimes i can let go and i can feel really peaceful, but then these thoughts of everything being to calm isnt right, lol its a crazy way of thoughts i built up in my head. Its like a vicious cycle of fear,you feel to good right now, u need fear, so here is more fearful thoughts because that makes who you are Tyler...eckhart says it spot on. Its like i have a tormentor in my head. I feel like i wouldnt exist if i didnt have this going on in my head. The crazy thing is, theres a part of me that knows this is nonsense, but this other part is so strong that its wanting to believe that i have to suffer or i would die(cease to exist)
Im just glad to hear the positve posts from you guys..this forum has helped tremendosly. So now i know just take the thoughts, let it be, dont try to label and name them, understand that its just a part of conditioning in my mind, so dont take it personally, and overtime, BUT being in the timeless now, these feelings in my body will fade away and i will stop feeding my pain body,and it will recondition itself?...am i on the right track? thx everyone

enigma

Post by enigma » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:34 am

what would i be without the stressful thoughts?
That's pretty much what i was waiting to hear, and i think you've already got your answer to what's happening. Your solution, I'm not so sure about.

It turns out that our anxiety rarely has much to do with the thing we're anxious about, which is why you can laugh and see the absurdity of it, because part of you knows it's not the reason. An example might be driving a car. The dangers involved with driving in traffic are 1,000 times greater than sitting on your couch, but lots of folks will get up from their couch to go for a relaxing drive. Either we're too stupid to recognize the danger, or anxiety has little to do with danger.

Genuine danger brings a clear fear response. The reason is clear and justified. So, the question becomes, what is the purpose of anxiety if not as a response to danger? The thought that you expressed above already occurred to me before i read it, and so i believe you're right. We could call it existential fear, and whether they recognize it or not, it's the reason folks can be present in meditation, but not between meditations. The mind comes back to assert it's existence.

Being continually anxious is like being continuously depressed or continuously cheery or continuously thinking. We figure, surely there must be somebody here if it's continuously engaged in thinking or feeling something. If there's a solution, it's likely to be a deep clarity as to the truth of the matter. If it's so that you are anxious in order to create the illusion of a self, knowing this, fully exposes the deception and makes it useless. Following that, you should be prepared to face the question you asked above, because of course you'll have to.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:37 am

> Well i was nervous and tense writing it, but after i felt a little calmness and peace underneath..
> Releasing maybe?

Oh good.
But you do not know how it happened ?
---ooOoo---

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Anxiety, I was chagrined to learn, despite the noisy power it flexes, is very easy to release. Andy pointed out some techniques which can make apparent the ease with which we can let go of this delusional monster.

jackh

Post by jackh » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:42 am

Thank you, Ananda.