Page 93..Power Of Now

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
tylernator

Page 93..Power Of Now

Post by tylernator » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:57 pm

In the Power Of Now page 93..Eckhart talks about trying a little experiment. Close your eyes and ask yourself "What is gonna be by next thought" And then become very alert.
So I tried it, and i was like wow, it took a little bit..Then i turn the page, and he says the exact same thing. I felt like that was my first moment of starting to understand Presence, Your the space in between thought. He says when your very alert your free of thought, once your level of conscious sinks below a certain level, thought has taken over...
So lately, i have been just trying to be very alert and just listen to everything around me, and really look at things with intense presence, and just being..
I felt like before i was always in lala land like most people, just thinking and thinking, so now that i know this moment is it!! I been just giving my whole attention to whats going on, just staying highly alert, feeling my aliveness..Am i on the right track?

kiki

Re: Page 93..Power Of Now

Post by kiki » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:28 am

Your the space in between thought. He says when your very alert your free of thought,
Yes; not only that, but You are the space in which thought occurs even as that thought is occurring. In other words, if not for that space/You it wouldn't be known that a thought is present. What You are transcends objects, sensations, and emotions. That means that awareness/You/space is present everywhere at all times, in all circumstances, even when thoughts appear. If you stop and consider this you'll realize the truth of this, the obviousness of it. Seeing/realizing this deeply allows you to relax, to let go of the search and just be.
So lately, i have been just trying to be very alert and just listen to everything around me, and really look at things with intense presence, and just being..I felt like before i was always in lala land like most people, just thinking and thinking, so now that i know this moment is it!! I been just giving my whole attention to whats going on, just staying highly alert, feeling my aliveness..Am i on the right track?
Yes.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Mason

Post by Mason » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:35 am

Looks like you are on to something...

I also really like Adyashanti's way of looking at the same experiment. Wait for the next thought to arrise and then after it arrises, reflect upon the fact that all the other thoughts and beliefs you forgot about during the silent time period aren't actually real. That is also a very powerful pointer. ET would probably add that the time period between the two thoughts isn't real either.

I remember the first time this occured to me, I was meditating upon the Heart Sutra and I suddenly thought "Hey... wait a minute... where was the Heart Sutra before I started thinking about it and made it an object of meditation??? Does it even exist before it is thought? Does it even exist now when I am thinking about it?" "whoa!"

steph H

Post by steph H » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:58 pm

Does it even exist before it is thought? Does it even exist now when I am thinking about it?
Um i think it does exist before you've thought of it or before it has come to mind; Perhaps not all of it existed? Maybe one thought led to another and created this final thought of the Heart Sutra? I think this is connected to the concept about imagination. It is said that imagination is not pure or is always based on prior knowledge: Your knowledge of one thing leads you to connect or combine other peices of information together to form something "new".

then again these are just my thoughts. some may say i'm too young and ignorant to understand HA. :wink:

BUT going back to the alertness and being in the present. When i try to do that--be alert and in the present--i feel like a sudden calmness and tranquility. However right when i seem to be aware of this strange calmness-- i think my mind kind of starts to panic or something-- or i suddenly worry something in the future? does anyone feel like that?

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:19 am

The one who is waiting for thinking to happen is the Self, the supreme pure awareness :D Thinking happens in the Self or it doesn't happen, there is noise or there is silence, the key is knowing That as your very Self, that which YOU are, and nothing but you! Not only does thinking happen in awareness, but so too does the body appear, and this body which types this message! And so too does the land which separates these bodies! And so too do this whole planet exist only because of that Self that YOU are! And so too does this entire universe! This is the supreme realization! Run with it, and swim in it forever! YOU are the supreme Self, nothing exists but YOU! This is reality grinning and laughing at itself, gazing into it's own eternal nature, there is nothing but this!

:lol:

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:37 am

Peter Dzuiban's fine book "Consciousness is All" reflects the message in Ananda's post...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce