Am I doing what I am supposed to be doing?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
SatisfiedOne

Post by SatisfiedOne » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:57 pm

I think so. But, what does ‘supposed’ mean? I guess it means that sometimes I am doing something by mistake. I was ‘supposed’ to be doing something other than what I was doing. Okay. So what? Well, what would happen if I never knew what I was “supposed” to be doing. What if I always thought that I was doing was exactly what I was supposed to be doing? I guess I would probably stop thinking about it for one. I would imagine that I would just do things. What about right and wrong though. Could I do something wrong if I was doing what I was supposed to be doing? I think so. Hmmmm… If I stopped thinking about what I was doing because I knew I was doing what I supposed to be doing, then labeling my doing as right or wrong would have no relevance. To be “wrong” would mean that I must do something “right” instead. Yet if I am always doing what I am supposed to then such labels would be unable to impact future doings.

Hand

Re: Am I doing what I am supposed to be doing?

Post by Hand » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:23 pm

You are always doing what you are supposed to be doing :) otherwise you would be doing something else..... it is not always obvious why things turn out like they do but there you go.
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

sardinelover

Post by sardinelover » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Being precedes doing.

Your primary purpose is to be present. The rest will take care of itself.
Relax your face

enigma

Post by enigma » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 am

The creatures of the forest have no concept of right and wrong, and so all actions flow spontaneously from being rather than from the imagined overlay of a doer. Morality is only necessary to control the delusion of doership, not beingness. It's the doer that lacks genuine virtue because it cannot be 'self'less.

nodoubt

Post by nodoubt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:39 am

[quote="SatisfiedOne"]Am I doing what I am supposed to be doing?

I am doing something by mistake.

I think the Tao addresses this. It speaks of people not knowing what the straight path is. Good is hidden in bad and bad in good.
E.T. says to merge your self with each situation. With presence take action in what the moment requires.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:18 am

The creatures of the forest have no concept of right and wrong, and so all actions flow spontaneously from being rather than from the imagined overlay of a doer. Morality is only necessary to control the delusion of doership, not beingness. It's the doer that lacks genuine virtue because it cannot be 'self'less.
About once a month I save a post in an archive. This is the one for December. Thanks, Phil !!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

enigma

Post by enigma » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:05 pm

You mean I did something right!?? I'm so proud!! :D

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:46 am

enigma - Gee...you are kind of an iconoclast, you know, the kind of person who likes to do things WRONG :) . But seriously, that was a gem. Maybe someday you will tell us about the five years of spiritual searching....you could even join under a different name and tell us -- the story would be good to hear....and perhaps give us a clue about why you don't think much of "practices."

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

enigma

Post by enigma » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:16 am

Well, i don't have any issue with talking about my retreat, though I don't know how helpful it would be to anybody.
I also doubt it would shed any light on my campaign against practices. That's really something I rarely talk about anywhere but here because it seems to me that's where some folks have encountered a boundary. It might be a Tolle deal, not sure. I found something similar in a group of Eastern guru enthusiasts, but they were far less kind about my comments than you guys are.

I've actually learned to very much respect and appreciate everyone here, which is not my usual reaction to such forums.

nowist prime

Post by nowist prime » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:01 am

my friend,

stop thinking so much. the more you try to understand a situation, the more you sink into your ego. stay in the now and everything will work it self out.

formula: when ever you find yourself thinking too much, listen to ET's power of now audio cd.

good luck

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:05 pm

We try to be accepting as much as possible, enigma. You say so many things so well, and defend your "no practices" position with experience, logic, other teachers and cogent writing. Not only are you accepted here, you are appreciated! Even if you are wrong about practices... :D :D :D (or not...)

Andy