Can one be self-sufficient? Do we really need a partner?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
eputkonen

Re: Can one be self-sufficient? Do we really need a partner?

Post by eputkonen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:34 pm

gen6 wrote:So would you be equally happy, if you were the last man on earth with nobody to share your thoughts or experiences? Just you? Imagine it.
Yes.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

gen6

Post by gen6 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:43 pm

eputkonen wrote:
gen6 wrote:So would you be equally happy, if you were the last man on earth with nobody to share your thoughts or experiences? Just you? Imagine it.
Yes.
:lol: Alright, why don't you try not communicating with anybody(all life forms and non life forms included) for 3 years of your lifetime, if you remain equally happy, I would give you about a million dollars. This means that the only one/thing you are going to communicate with is you, not me, you won't even use this forum, it means that you are going to communicate only with yourself. Just try that for a week to see how you feel, you can report here after that :D
Live as if nothing and everything matters at the same time.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:31 am

if you were the last man on earth with nobody to share your thoughts
What part of that man would I be? The face? The mind? The toenail? The hunger? The thirst? Some complex inscrutable combination of all that?

gen6, what we are saying here is that the human organism is part of the planet, but we are infinitely more than that...so are you. Here is another thread on this, http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =32&t=6727 discussing the personal and the impersonal Self regarding the sense of "I am."

Any mental concept of enlightenment is wrong, or at best pathetically incomplete. Concepts occur in the mind and in the words in this forum. They are ripples on the ocean of Being.

You might enjoy Osho's awakening, here: http://www.realization.org/page/doc0/doc0015.htm

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

gen6

Post by gen6 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:24 am

Sighclone wrote:
if you were the last man on earth with nobody to share your thoughts
What part of that man would I be? The face? The mind? The toenail? The hunger? The thirst? Some complex inscrutable combination of all that?

gen6, what we are saying here is that the human organism is part of the planet, but we are infinitely more than that...so are you. Here is another thread on this, http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =32&t=6727 discussing the personal and the impersonal Self regarding the sense of "I am."

Any mental concept of enlightenment is wrong, or at best pathetically incomplete. Concepts occur in the mind and in the words in this forum. They are ripples on the ocean of Being.

Andy
You would be every part of that man, no matter what you identify yourself with you cannot ignore the other things, even that you know that you are non of the let's say physical things you cannot ignore the physical ones and your needs. One needs to communicate and share to be happy and ok, no matter what concepts the mind brings.
gen6, what we are saying here is that the human organism is part of the planet, but we are infinitely more than that...so are you.
That's right we are, so am I, so are you :) But this does not confront with the fact that if you are the last man on earth and do not communicate with anybody/anything, you are not going to feel OK. Im still talking about the life you have here on earth, like it or dislike it you still have to use the body you have been given and all the other things that you cannot ignore, doesn't mean you identify yourself with them, but just that you still have them and you do depend on them as far as being here on Earth.
If you want, you can try that, try not to communicate with anything/anybody and see how long will it take until you feel strange( in a negative way). Doesn't mean you have to identify yourself with the emotion you are going to feel but you are going to feel it and that's bad, no matter it's not you. :D And it's gonna get worse every day. That is how your material brain(which you cannot ignore, no matter you don't identify yourself with it), it's made for communication(talking about the most cases where you are considered - normal - individual).

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:41 pm

this does not confront with the fact that if you are the last man on earth and do not communicate with anybody/anything, you are not going to feel OK
Well, unless ol' Yahweh up in the sky came down and made Eve number 2 out of my rib I'd have to be pretty content with the situation!

erbeeflower

Post by erbeeflower » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:34 pm

it's taken me 46 years to become aware that there is more to me than 'i thought'....the only way i KNOW this, has been to experience 'it' by practising that which ET pointed to in tpon....i see this is 'just' a taste,the begining of a great feast i'd heard about, but not partaken of until i tried it....i've got my starter which upon tasting is the most delicious flavour that will always stay with me... i thought ET was the only chef with a menu.... getting hungry now !! :-D
I'm still enjoying thinking and exploring too much to get stuck here :-)

erbeeflower

Post by erbeeflower » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:13 pm

ps.... i prefer to have some company,sometimes or i do feel lonely...there's a specialness when i'm with my children,i have desire to be in their company as often as i can,which at this moment in life situation is **equally valuble if not more valuble than awareness etc... i say i love them bigger than the universe all the time....i really miss living in the family home with them,which i took for granted before the divorce 10 years ago... i value every moment with them above anything,i enjoy being with them much more since discovering ET's pointers...**when/if i loose my 'awareness' i can easily become overwhelmed / needy,and the quality of any experience is diminished... sorry if i come across a bit muddled,i am,hah!
I'm still enjoying thinking and exploring too much to get stuck here :-)

gen6

Post by gen6 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:49 pm

erbeeflower wrote:ps.... i prefer to have some company,sometimes or i do feel lonely...there's a specialness when i'm with my children,i have desire to be in their company as often as i can,which at this moment in life situation is **equally valuble if not more valuble than awareness etc... i say i love them bigger than the universe all the time....i really miss living in the family home with them,which i took for granted before the divorce 10 years ago... i value every moment with them above anything,i enjoy being with them much more since discovering ET's pointers...**when/if i loose my 'awareness' i can easily become overwhelmed / needy,and the quality of any experience is diminished... sorry if i come across a bit muddled,i am,hah!
yep, it's normal, I believe that we are not meant to be alone and this would reflect our ,,highest happiness,,.

hermitwin

Post by hermitwin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:36 am

yes, one can be self sufficient. no we dont really need a partner.
if you had a partner and you lost her, would you be just as happy?
its called attachment. eg people whose children die sink into
deep depression bcos they cant accept it.
tolle said that if he could not have sex or wine or good food from now on, he would be just as happy. he is not attached to anything.

hermitwin

Post by hermitwin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:42 am

what is normal? lost in thoughts. lack of awareness. the whole point is to
move beyond our normal existence into new consciousness.

That is how your material brain(which you cannot ignore, no matter you don't identify yourself with it), it's made for communication(talking about the most cases where you are considered - normal - individual).

gen6

Post by gen6 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:13 pm

hermitwin wrote:yes, one can be self sufficient. no we dont really need a partner.
if you had a partner and you lost her, would you be just as happy?
its called attachment. eg people whose children die sink into
deep depression bcos they cant accept it.
tolle said that if he could not have sex or wine or good food from now on, he would be just as happy. he is not attached to anything.
If I had a partner and lost her, I may regain my happiness in a week or in a few days, but...I fill find another :)
You are so deeply into the social network every single second of your life that you don't even realize how dependent you are on communicating with other people.
+ you cannot live without air, if you think you are going to be happy without the air why don't you try, I want to watch :lol: What are you going to say? That when the real you leaves the body, you are going to be still happy in another dimension :lol: Get real. Eckhart and you and everybody is dependent on AIR so please make the subtle difference between ATTACHED and DEPENDENT. It's two different things. One should never attach to anything, I agree. But one is dependent on few or not so few things as a human being!
p.s.
I'm not talking about attaching to people, I can overcome the death of my closest in a week with acceptance, this has nothing to do with dependency on communication.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:03 pm

gen6 wrote:this has nothing to do with dependency on communication.
So the hermits that live alone are miserable and die quickly like if there was no air?

Communication is not a requirement for happiness. You deny it, but that is attachment to others (and in particular, an attachment to communication and being heard). So subtle and deeply engrained an attachment that you really can not see any way someone could be happy without communication with others...and so you rationalize it as dependence and need (because that is the only way to reconcile this attachment with your belief of "one should never attach to anything").
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi everyone....

As long as you see yourself as a separate entity, you will always be clingy and needy. Once you see that you are simultaneously in the world but not of it, what possible need could you have? These are and will be only words until this pointer really sinks into the marrow and that my friend is Grace.

gen6

Post by gen6 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 pm

eputkonen wrote:
gen6 wrote:this has nothing to do with dependency on communication.
So the hermits that live alone are miserable and die quickly like if there was no air?

Communication is not a requirement for happiness. You deny it, but that is attachment to others (and in particular, an attachment to communication and being heard). So subtle and deeply engrained an attachment that you really can not see any way someone could be happy without communication with others...and so you rationalize it as dependence and need (because that is the only way to reconcile this attachment with your belief of "one should never attach to anything").
Hi Eric :) I guess you are writing this because you have already tried the experiment I proposed to you? The non-communication experiment for 2-3 years?
Oh, you couldn't have tried it, you just wrote this into this forum...gosh....I hope you stop communication now, take my experiment seriously and write the same post after 3 years of complete non-communication with anything, including material objects like Tv,Radio, Ball,Wall, Floor, Imaginary object in your head,imaginary friend in your head etc.(hey if 3 years is too much for you(and it will be I'm sure), you can try it for 2 months and see how it goes, if you are 100% happy during those two months and feel absolutely completely OK and feel that there is nothing wrong with you and you can do that ALL LIFE without any problems, I'm wrong(considering you have a normally wired brain-the brain most people on earth have). If you write this post after that and you are sincere I'm gonna come to Minnesota and be your humble servant for the period that the experiment lasted. Once again I repeat it's not attachment. Are you attached to breathing AIR? Acutally if you don't mind, can you define what attachment means, maybe we have different understanding of this word.