presence with two or three things

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
cuno

presence with two or three things

Post by cuno » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 am

Here is a quote from leonard Jacobson

>>>If you are in a garden, be utterly present with whatever is in the garden. Be present with the tree. Be present with the flowers. Feel the presence of everything in the garden. Feel the presence of the sky. Be present with the sound of the birds. When you are deeply present with everything in the garden and your heart is open in love and gratitude, then Heaven on Earth will reveal itself. And you will find yourself in Oneness, deeply immersed in the mystery of God's existence.>>>>

How can I be present with two,three or more things at once(here they are tree,flovers,garden etc)… while our human capacity only let us be present with only one item each time..I mean one can’t be present two things at once …here is I am lost ..any thoughts on this will be appreciated..as if the presence Leonard described is a choiceless one not concentration.

cuno

kiki

Re: presence with two or three things

Post by kiki » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:27 pm

The tree, the flowers, the garden, and all of creation (including your body/mind) is one seamless whole. It is the mind that splits it all up into this, that, and the other. But to be present with any of it on the level of form is to be present with all of creation. So, when you are truly present with the tree there is no thought going on that says, "I am present with the tree and not with the flower," - there is just presence. It's the same with everything else that appears - when you are truly present with it there is just presence, and no mind activity that denies the presence of anything else.

The "spotlight" of attention will be drawn to the different expressions of form so it kind of seems like you are focusing on one particular thing, but if you are very alert you will notice that there is a global awareness taking it all in, denying nothing, dividing none of it from the whole with the mind. Attention is like a magnifying glass; it brings what's beneath it into an appearance of greater prominence, but what's beneath it hasn't been cut off from anything else - only the mind would take what's beneath the magnifying glass and cut it off from the whole. So make it easy on yourself - just be present with whatever appears before you.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Try being present with the one being present. :D

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:39 am

cuno wrote:How can I be present with two,three or more things at once(here they are tree,flovers,garden etc)… while our human capacity only let us be present with only one item each time..I mean one can’t be present two things at once …
I used to wonder about this issue with respect to sensory perception during meditation. Typically I hear a bird, then feel my hands in my lap, then hear the whoosh of my blood circulating, then see the play of light behind my closed eyes, then feel a breeze, etc. Sequentially: one sensory input, next one, next one, next one. But if I'm very deep into it, very relaxed and non-divisive, I can sometimes perceive multiple sensory layers simultaneously: bird + breeze + light. I think of it as polyphony: several strands of melody intertwining in one über-melody. It is rare, for me at least, to reach the state where this sensory polyphony happens, but when it does it happen, it's quite a thrill. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

dobro

Post by dobro » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:47 am

What's presence?

dobro

Post by dobro » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:53 am

How about this:
...become present, alert, still and aware in the present moment.
I can do that. So that's presence?

18andlife

Post by 18andlife » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:26 am

I can do that. So that's presence?
It's the being of it which is presence, far moreso than the doing of it.

cuno

Post by cuno » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Ananda wrote:Try being present with the one being present. :D
Hi folks,

Thank you for your feedback..I should again quote this Leonard says in brief "Feel the presence of everything in the garden."ıf it means that we direct our attention everything in the garden..I find it impossible..and I think it is impossible..Ananda can you please eloborate what you write?

Cuno

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Cuno,

Focus, concentration, and direction is not the way. That is tunnel vision...which obviously can not look at two things at once. Let go of focus, concentration, or direction...allow the whole picture to be seen at once (instead of focusing with tunnel vision on only a small portion). If you have your hand in front of your face, you want focus or concentrate on the hand...but then you can't see the farthest wall far behind the hand. Don't focus and allow it all to be seen. While it is true the hand is no longer in perfect focus...it is possible to see your hand and the farthest wall at the same time.

The problem is also you are segmenting...presence with two or three things. What you are forgeting (or don't realize) is that there is only one...don't get caught up in the forms (the two, three, or ten thousand things). What is behind the forms is unicity. There really are not multiple things...only one presence to become aware of behind all the forms.
Last edited by eputkonen on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 pm

eputkonen wrote:Let go of focus, concentration, or direction...allow the whole picture to be seen at once (instead of focusing with tunnel vision on only a small portion).
"Soft eyes" yes? When I do soft mind (whole-brain, multiple-sense equivalent of soft eyes) I often feel ___________ (reality, ground, truth, etc.) in my body, particularly lower abdomen. It's a beautiful thing.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:12 pm

"Soft eyes" yes? When I do soft mind (whole-brain, multiple-sense equivalent of soft eyes) I often feel ___________ (reality, ground, truth, etc.) in my body, particularly lower abdomen. It's a beautiful thing.
Yeah, sounds right. Like those pictures where you have to soften your focus in order to see the hidden 3D picture.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:23 am

Ananda can you please eloborate what you write?

:D

Presence comes from awareness, it is like perfume.

When one is present with experiences then there is awareness of those experiences without thinking there as a barrier.

I say go one step further. There is awareness of experiences and there is the one who is aware of experiences.

Who is the one that is aware of experiences?

Awareness itself.

You are that. You are trying to be present with one, two or three things. Instead, turn your attention away from your experience completely and let it rest on the one who is aware. Then there is being without this or that. Then there is pure presence, being present without anything else.

dobro

Post by dobro » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:26 am

ET: ...become present, alert, still and aware in the present moment.

dobro: I can do that. So that's presence?

18andlife: It's the being of it which is presence, far moreso than the doing of it.

dobro: Well, okay...if presence means *being* something rather than doing something, then what's happening when presence isn't happening? Does that mean I'm not *being* it? I don't think it's like that. So what's the difference between occasions when I'm 'present, alert, still and aware in the present moment' and occasions when I'm distracted, working to a deadline, rushed off my feet, anxious and watching the clock? Is there a difference in my being? I don't think so. Is there a difference in something I'm doing? I think so, if you see controlled attention as a 'doing'.

Whatcha think?

arel

Post by arel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:48 am

Is there a difference in my being? I don't think so. Is there a difference in something I'm doing? I think so, if you see controlled attention as a 'doing'.
I would say the same thing. When we become present, then we see that our being is unchanged even when we are not present, because any kind of sensory experience that we just withdrew some of the attention from is made possible by unconscious being. I would say there is unconscious attention always, making all experience possible.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

arel

Post by arel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:53 am

Ananda wrote:
Ananda can you please eloborate what you write?

You are that. You are trying to be present with one, two or three things. Instead, turn your attention away from your experience completely and let it rest on the one who is aware. Then there is being without this or that. Then there is pure presence, being present without anything else.
Is this really possible?! I've never experienced that. I would guess it's sort of like going into and out of deep sleep consciously...
What I say is only my viewpoint.