My new review of "Standing as Awareness" by Greg Goode

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
CFSLosAngeles

My new review of "Standing as Awareness" by Greg Goode

Post by CFSLosAngeles » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:51 am

"The world, body, and mind appear as sensations, feelings and thoughts. These appearances are all arisings in awareness. The person does not see these arisings. Rather, the person is made up out of these arisings, including the supposed act of seeing." -Greg Goode

Over the last few years, Dr. Greg Goode, (he has a doctorate in philosophy) has emerged as an authority on many eastern and western non-duality traditions. In 2007 he put out an e-book called, "Standing as Awareness: Dialogs from Non-Dual Dinners." It contained transcripts of informal non-duality talks held at various New York restaurants from 1997-2005.

In 2009, Non-Duality Press put out an expanded hard copy edition which includes three new chapters, followed by all the original dialogs from the e-book. Says Goode in the new book's Preface:

In the years since the books initial publication, I received many comments and requests that boiled down to two issues. People wanted a more step-by-step unfolding of the teaching, and they wanted exercises, experiments or guided meditations. Towards that end, I added three new chapters.

The three new chapters are:
1. How to stand as Awareness
2. Falling in Love with Awareness
3. The Witness--From Establishment to Collapse

First, let me say that the three additional chapters are a welcome addition. Thus, even if you have the original e-book, I would recommend that you get a copy of this expanded edition. That's because the "dialogs," as Greg himself mentioned above, don't really give you a step-by-step 'here's how you go about it' approach. Rather, they are more a collection of commentaries about various aspects of non-duality, depending on whatever questions happened to asked by those seekers at that dinner.

Now, many of Greg's answers are... (You can read the rest of the review on my website at: http://mjeffreys.com/MyTop10SpiritualBooks.aspx)

Blessings, Michael

mmy

Re: My new review of "Standing as Awareness" by Greg Goode

Post by mmy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:03 am

I love this book, especially his chapter on collapsing of the witness. He explains this clearly in the book and when he was leading discussions in the Stillness Speaks study group.