The 6 senses

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
HermitLoon

The 6 senses

Post by HermitLoon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch and awareness (the sense of "being").
And awareness - like the other 5 - does not require the thinking mind in order to function.
Peace

kiki

Re: The 6 senses

Post by kiki » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Yup! :D
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 pm

yeah, this is actually a great point of meditation ... it'll shut the 'ole churn factory right down ... Thanks for that 'Loon!

One that I used the other day was to discern between the living and non-living surfaces in my line of sight and to contemplate intellectually how what I am was actually aware of the living stuff as the living stuff and how it was the limitation of the illusion of identity which was preventing me from feeling that awareness.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:14 am

That's a nice way to look at it, HermitLoon: awareness as (often dormant) sixth human sense. Helpful, because it presents awareness as a human birthright rather than an esoteric power available only to a few highly trained monks/masters.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:36 am

Thanks everyone.
Peace

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue May 24, 2011 4:55 pm

This is nothing more than a blatant bump.

Contemplate the first post as it has the potential to stop the mind dead in its tracks.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.