Best meditation method??

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
alex

Best meditation method??

Post by alex » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:49 am

Hi there just wondering how others meditate. When I do I sit and watch my mind, kind of just be and try to see all the thoughts floating around there, usually stillness arises then. I only ever do it for about 10 minutes though, maybe not enough time.
Thanks,
Alex

kiki

Re: Best meditation method??

Post by kiki » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:12 am

What you are doing is fine; it is very similar to what Adyashanti teaches, "true meditation". Basically, it's simply allowing everything to be as it is, without trying to manipulate anything. If you haven't already done so check him out. We also have a section on the board dedicated to him:
http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... m.php?f=29

By the way, welcome to the board.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

18andlife

Post by 18andlife » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 am

Hi Alex, welcome. I also recommend Adyashanti's True Meditation cd set it is one of the best of it's kind.

I have a question about medition also, Kiki, Ananda, Kutso, and company: I was just wondering about this type of very primary meditation where you sit/rest in the I AM, and eventually the "I Thought" desolves. The recommendation some make: if you just abide in the I AM, eventually everything will take care of itself.

What are your thoughts and experiences with that? Thanks.

alex

Post by alex » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks for the reccomendation, just had a sit down and tried his meditation, my gosh how relaxing! I've always got a little voice in my head telling me to be present yada yada, I guess from all the texts I have read. It always seems an effort and when I ask myself what it is I truly want anyway its not to be awakened or to consciously do everything. Just letting everything be as it is and completely letting go made me feel so nice and floaty. Perhaps thats the way huh? :)

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:43 pm

18andlife wrote:I have a question about medition also, Kiki, Ananda, Kutso, and company: I was just wondering about this type of very primary meditation where you sit/rest in the I AM, and eventually the "I Thought" desolves. The recommendation some make: if you just abide in the I AM, eventually everything will take care of itself.

I think that is just about the best "meditation" there is. I like to phrase it this way, however - rest in/as the I AM. What you are IS the "Am-ness" that no thought is attached to, including any "I Thought"; be that knowingly, then let life unfold as it will. Life is just seen to unfold continually, unimpeded by ego's preferences. Once you know what You are, consciousness itself, ego can also be present (after all, it is just another "thing" that appears), but it will no longer hold sway over you like it did previously because identification with it dissolves. It/ego is seen not to be You.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:13 pm

This is the most direct way because it doesn't even admit the idea of a doer/meditator. It is simply clear discrimination of the Self from the not-Self by means of recognising directly that which has the quality of existence (or I-amness). The reason why "everything will take care of itself" is because ignorance gets burned up through simply abiding in reality and not being involved with it (the ignorance). Most methods or meditations focus on chiseling away at ignorance through various practices of detachment or observation of phenomenon, whereas this particular type is like a sword that simply cuts it away. The reason for this is that the former is to see what is untrue (and understand the mechanisms of ignorance/ego) whereas the latter is to see directly what alone is true and to remain with that only until ignorance and untruth dissolve through lack of association. This direct path (of jnana, or knowledge) is subtle to comprehend but to those who do it is an incomparable gem and shortcut to reality.

An article on discrimination of the Self from the not-Self (Seer-Seen discrimination);

http://www.infinityfoundation.com/manda ... ameset.htm

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:59 pm

To help and explain Ananda's worthy method we need to understand that there are two fundamental approaches to 'that which can not be understood' or what I am. These two approaches are fundamentally different yet one originates in the west and one in the east.

They can be described as or top down and bottom up.

Top down is our dear Ananda's method and speaks straight from the absolute reality which if one can get it is the big hit of consciousness. Still the little self or ego is just as ignorant and years will be spent bringing it to stillness or now.

The bottom up approach at it's worst is classical christianity which basically says we are sinners (ego's, little selves) and we must behave certain ways to get better. At it's best the bottom up approach gives a complete map of ego or self and thus undermines or points to all that is false in the eventual certainty that when enough baggage is unloaded what "I am"/Self is all that remains, or is realised. The difficulty is that at the top of the ladder of self knowledge there is nothing and it takes Anandas description (flip perspective) of reality to transcend that.

So the bottom up can not be ignored for ignorance has to be known and stilled. And the top down while getting the big cherry first up will have to wait for itself to climb the ladder ie the bottom up method.

So fundamentally different but they meet in the middle.
Last edited by Mouse on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

18andlife

Post by 18andlife » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:03 pm

Alex, I am glad that your meditation is going well. I really think that Adyashanti's True Meditation will benifit just about anyone who give it a try.

Kiki Unit and Ananda Unit;

Good point with the in/as I see that you are saying there.

I have definitey been drawn more to the "see what is untrue" method of examining arising in terms of it's characteristics, and after many years of doing that it's just now getting to the point where I can really get a sense of the I AM and being able to rest in/as it. I am wondering about a few things regarding the I AM.

One thing that really surprised me about this is that (in my experience) the I AM seems to be a very clostrophobic, and I expected that the I AM would be very spacious. Actually to be more specific: the I AM seems to have no depth perception at all, so near and far have no reference, but somehow it still seems very limited.

The other thing is: it seems that even though there is no coming into being of any thought or sensation nontheless I can sense that the whole story (or atleast the potential for the whole story) is still in the "I Thought" ~I AM still has the charaistics of the manifest world just no concrete expression. Also within that potential there is quite a bit of fear to go beyond/before it.

That which is unborn, undying and uncreated is before the I AM, but really the I AM is manifest, is that correct? Sort of like Jesus said about the mustard seed: something small which gives a vast multitude of expression.

Do you guys have any thoughts on those comments, or comments on those thoughts?

[edit] thanks for your comments mouse, I wrote this before I read your post.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:30 pm

18andlife near the top of the ladder ''I" becomes relatively transparent but still seems to view inner ''things" from a position in inner space, I call that the final position, the origin of subject and object. If I see that I am seeing from somewhere with no position...........and I contain subject and object.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

alex

Post by alex » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:26 am

Ok... so what if the idea of enlightenment actually scares the bejesus outta me. I wouldn't call myself someone who really badly wants to know the truth, I just went through pretty severe depression and felt called to find some kind of deeper meaning. Its all felt as though I've been drawn along this path without really choosing to take it. I've really had moments of realizing the truth, some beautiful moments of stillness and can feel the 'I AM' quite easily, especially after delving into the pain body and really accepting my pain. When I do sit as the I AM it sends energy ripples all through my body. I guess I'm just scared to really commit to this path but in any moment I have to myself I find myself meditating, its weird. I feel like the awakening has begun and now there's no going back. Any advice? Do you think I should just really try to work past this minds fear? Is there even anything really to fear? Will I still be me after awakening?

18andlife

Post by 18andlife » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:40 am

Will I still be me after awakening?
Hey Alex;

Frankly speaking, you are not you before awakening; so I highly doubt that awakening will confirm that you are you afterward. The fear you're speaking of probably comes from a sense that you don't exist now rather than a suspicion that you won't exist later.

The other thing you have a sense of is that awakening really doesn't have much to do with you, and I'd be confident in saying that the longer you stay on this path the less it will have to do with you.

I can't answer the question as to whether you should continue on or not, but I have confidence that the universe knows what it's doing. What happens or what does not happen seems to have a basis in both aversion and habbit. Personally one thing that keeps me plugging along is something that Shantideva wrote in the 8th century: "It's best not to start on this path if there's some possibility you will stop; take care, as starting and stopping can become a habbit which will follow you from one birth to the next."

alex

Post by alex » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:58 am

Thanks for your words. I read somewhere that to the teacher fear in the student is a good sign as it means the truth has been glimpsed, too much however is not good as it can block the way. I'm confident (maybe more hopeful :? ) that I will be able to let go of this fear. I guess the universe will unfold as it will and what will be will be.
Peace

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:43 pm

alex wrote: Do you think I should just really try to work past this minds fear?
The mind is really your self and it fears death. The spiritual life is the "gradual diminution or creeping execution of your self" Nothing is lost that you would want back.
Is there even anything really to fear?
The mind or self fears it's own death and that is your fear. But see that every night when you go to sleep you don't exist, and don't you relish it!
Will I still be me after awakening?
In reflection you, as the person, might say 'I don't know who I am', but the consciousness that you are is more real than the person that you are, so it is alright and you just have the knowledge that I am 'me', the consciousness of a body filled with delightful life.

And that brings me onto the best meditation method.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:10 pm

The method is to still the mind and emotions which are always subtley moving. Only when stilled can awareness start to perceive nothing, this is the point of transformation to consciousness.

The starting point is an active thinking mind with no conscious awareness of the inner body, the continuous sensational reality within.

Direct the awareness onto this inner sensation and start to differentiate sensation from emotion. When consciously contained emotion or feelings are dissolved or return to being sensation, that is the golden anchor of sensation. It can be done every moment of waking life and is fresh and new every moment. This is a substitute for thinking and the energy saved leads to an increase in consciousness.

Result; I am no longer stuck in the past of my self and can enjoy my life within and without.

Tip; don't look for an enlightenment result the demonstration that you are going well is that you are more and more free of unhappiness, moods and emotional reaction.

"When the false is destroyed you are what you are. What it means to be what you really are is beyond imagining and beyond anyone else's words or ideas. What can be said is that it is the peak of life - life's purpose for you, the individual, to experience as soon as you can." Barry Long -Meditation a Foundation Course

alex

Post by alex » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Well sounds good! I've actually had an awakening experience, it lasted for 2 whole days! I was pure awareness with just a little noise of thoughts in the background. I really realized what it was, totally me. I even said to myself how figured I had it now, I could never lose this coz its what I am and it was completely effortless. Somehow my mind managed to weave its way to the forefront again though, doh... who knows when the next one will happen I guess. Speaking of going to sleep last night I had the most amazing lucid dream. I was in my dream kind of watching myself from behind then all of a sudden I realized it was a dream and the one who was watching floated to the forefront of my dream characters consciousness then I was like making my whole dream happen, I even started flying everywhere coz I knew I could. Pretty cool!!
Ok laters, peace n love