Best meditation method??

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Sighclone

Re: Best meditation method??

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:54 am

Great stuff, alex... :)

18andlife, you say:
I AM seems to be a very clostrophobic
I went through a day or so of that, when changing my "meditation" technique from TM to a more wholistic form. And then a funny thing happened. The "I" in "I AM" began to drop away. Only "Am-ness" remained. And that was wonderfully vast, not claustrophobic at all...give it time.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

alex

Post by alex » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 am

Yeah, I'm guessing that the I am will become a lot more vast for you. After letting go and just being I begin to feel the I AM, sometimes my mind will say 'i am' and it seems such a tiny little thought in the vatness of what I actually am, then its like dude of course I AM!
Andy what does TM stand for and what do you mean by a more wholistic meditation?? Thanks, and that lengthy quote I posted came from this website:
http://www.enlightenedbeings.com/what-i ... nment.html

Alex

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:04 am

TM is short for Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's "Transcendental Meditation," a mantra-based spinoff from his guru, the Chankaracharya of Jyotir Math in India. (Shankara was the founder of the Advaita strain of Hinduism, so Maharishi is from that lineage.) This is the program brought to the west in the 1960's. I spent 35 years practicing the techniques, not getting far, yet still receiving the physiological benefits from the practice. I use the word "wholistic" to include much more than chanting mantras, and much less. I do not know how to explain my current technique except that when I am perfectly still, thoughts begin to form, but don't. There are some somatic sensations, a twitch or two, spontaneous pramayama (breathing) and just plain stillness...often the thoughts which emerge later in the day are deeper and more poignant.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:14 pm

then its like dude of course I AM!
Laughed out at this one!!!! Alex--you've got the right attitude. Don't take it all too seriously and continue to be open to everything. Keep those posts comin' too :D

Craig

Post by Craig » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:20 am

The best meditation...

... is no meditation whatsoever. Otherwise, you might be expecting something to happen, something to change, some shift to occur, some awakening to happen. In doing so, you overlook your own, direct experience, which can be noticed and seen at any time. It is in this direct experience that the non-existence of your individual self, who you take yourself to be, is seen with perfect clarity.
Who am I?

alex

Post by alex » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 am

To steal Andy's quote:

One of the most delightful paradoxes is that at the end of the nondual path we realize that we haven't travelled any distance -- that no path has been traversed and that we haven't attained "anything." But we also realize that if we hadn't believed that there was a path and made the effort we have made, we wouldn't have arrived at the point we are at. Even though we realize that our struggle and commitment has been pointless, in the absence of this effort we would still be drifting in the illusion that there actually is somewhere to go and something to achieve. Without doing what we didn't need to do, we wouldn't realize that we didn't need to do it.

It is in my 'meditation' time of letting go completely that I feel my presence the most, the more time I spend here the easier I find it to experience awareness all throughout the day. I also feel that watching thoughts (how many 'meditate') has great benifit. Oh to realize that I'm not them and to let them float on by is so liberating. But I agree that there are probably lots of types of mediation out there that distract from the path, but then I guess that not everyones goal is to wake up and many of those mediations probably help one to dream better. Or even just provide space and peace for a while in the normal hectic day to day existence. Each to their own huh, no rules in this game!

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:37 am

Indeed, no rules. That said, in general meditation helps to quiet the frantic monkey mind. Trust me, you can meditate regularly for 35 years and not awaken.

Andy