Example of a real man

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
monmonn

Example of a real man

Post by monmonn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:47 am

In all my research in enlightenment it has taught me that a real man is one that can die before he dies, in other words be willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good and live life with no fear.

In a movie called Creaul intentions 3 is a story about 2 guys who playu games of suduction to win a certain prize. One guy seemed to be very mind driven and had a big ego so had a hard time dealing with rejection and not being somewhere, but the other guy was fully present, had really calm body language and was not very approval seeking but instead cut the foreplay and went straight to the chase, and he showed alot of intelligence where the other guy just seemed to be clever.

Just wanted to share this with people as i found it interesting. And wondering if people know other movies with enlightened men like this, i already know Tyler Durdan is another one (I love watching that scene with them talking in the plane, and comparing what an enlightened male is compared to a ego driven guy).

:)

Craig

Re: Example of a real man

Post by Craig » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:32 am

In all honesty, these are just ideas about what "enlightened men" look like (whatever those are) and how they should behave. It has very little to do with clearly seeing that there is no separate self in existence.

Nevermind those "enlightened men". What about you, monmonn? Return to your own experience, right at this instant. Is it not true that something is effortlessly registering everything that is going on around you? Is it not true that you are aware? Sometimes you are aware of objects- having a body, emotions, thoughts, other people, the world around you. At other times, like in deep dreamless sleep, all of these go, and yet something in you is still aware of the absence of consciousness and objects, and their presence. That which is aware of these comings and goings is you.

Look and see if you can find a separate person outside of your own present-moment awareness. Can you find such an individual? Thoughts might appear that seem to persuasively indicate that yes, this separate person is real, that there's something that needs to be fixed, that you're not enlightened. But how true where those thoughts before they popped into existence? How true are they once you've forgotten about them? For that matter, are they separate from your own present moment awareness, or do they simply pass through, at their own pace, and then disappear once more? What is there that is separate from your own direct seeing, right here at this moment?
Who am I?

monmonn

Post by monmonn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks for those enlightening questions :) And i get what you mean about media making a image of what an enlighteed person should look like. I am 20 and after reading Eckharts books i have relised that i have been suffering under a 'social mask' all these years trying to be someone i am not, just so i can some how have a self of self. But now i know who i truely am, the everlasting presence that is one with everything in life.
Presence has been an off and on thing for me ever since i started apllying it to my life a few months ago, But even so its made my life situation less serious and more fun.

Thank you Craig :)

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm proud of you, monmonn. I sort of expected some kind of egoic rebuttal to Craig's thoughtful, slightly confrontational pointers. But your reply was very honest, clear and respectful...you are clearly breaking free! Congratulations!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:56 pm

And may I add that you are a fine contributor and acknowledger of the good Andy. And Monmonn too.

This is an enjoyable forum.

Cheers
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 am

And may I add that you are a fine contributor and acknowledger of the good Andy.
He certainly is. And yes, this is an enjoyable forum - it's the people here who make it so.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 am

Thanks for your compliments, people. My path has been that of jnani yoga - the way of study and knowledge. The many early challenges I experienced on this forum became a fulcrum for my develpment and a microscope. I fondly recall my failed attempts to "not be egoic" in wrangling with eputkonen, Randji, xxxjimxxx, and a few others. Dear James comforted me in my furies...(now there is a real man, by the way). Of course, I managed to forgive myself, and even to "witness the trigger" when someone like enigma showed up...and engage in a more careful, sensitive way.

The forum has been a keystone for me to inquire about my own progress, and to enable the integration of my many unity experiences with my far less spiritual family life. But it has been very selfish in a nondual way -- by that I mean the real pleasure I receive these days is hearing progress and sharing of others, whether or not I posted in any given thread. I attempt to encourage everyone -- this shift is not smooth for the vast majority. And the topic is very serious and very life-changing and very very real...read any thread in the last six months...Any Thread. And there are not too many places to go to talk about this.

We are blessed with a number of elegant clear writers here -- I could name ten, and that would mean I left out ten equally deserving. Moreover, these fine resonators of Source continue to visit and contribute over the years.

As I've said before, this forum has been one clear place for both "little Andy" (that phantom :mrgreen: ) and the rest of me/us entrained in this old form to fulfill a perceived destiny. Something brought Ramana out of the cave. I think that to animate Being for a moment in prose, that Self seeks not so much to "Self-realize" as to minimize delusion. If that is done, the radiance of Self enters without distortion.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce