The Supposed Age of Awakening

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Mouse

Post by Mouse » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 pm

That is a nice idea but what happens to all the people that still love their emotions and unhappiness?

I hear and read of 'we' are going to awaken and if that is taken litterally it means we as the whole of humanity, ie everybody is going to awaken.

From my perspective I don't see any solution other than a wipeout of nearly everyone. Which would be a wipeout of nearly every portal of the self. And those that remain would face humanity's emotion- (fancy being included?).

I see no other way for humanity to turn around. What of all the unfaced emotion that is driving all war and suffering on earth, that is not going to go away overnight unless faced and responsibly contained in each individual, it is not going to just lie down and surrender, it wants like everything to live again. That intelligent containing process needs to happen in every individual that exists for there to be peace on earth.

Can you see it happening without huge upheaval in the world as those who don't get it are used by the emotion that wants to live again. It has got to be a wipeout, which is ok as a thought, because my life is good now.

In summary I see it is only for me to realise that I am responsible for my life. When I see it written that we are going to awaken I shake my head inside because I know that is a dream that I can never realise, it is the dream of the self, and a lovely dream too perhaps, but I can't reconcile it with my self knowledge that knows that I, as wanting and trying have to die, for the good to be. I can only ever realise my own life here now.

Do you really think that humanity as a whole is going to awaken without the help of terrible suffering.

I can't see it happening. Tell me I am wrong and explain why.
Last edited by Mouse on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

Ananda

Re: The Supposed Age of Awakening

Post by Ananda » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:40 pm

I don't think there is a 'supposed age of awakening', I also reject the ideas of conscious evolution, collective consciousness, and planetary enlightenment. Consciousness (or the Self) is not individual, it does not reside inside the body like billions of rain drops waiting to merge into a greater source. It is a misapprehension to suggest that every individual is going to be enlightenmed, since enlightenment is the realization that individuality itself is a delusion born out of ignorance of the Self. Whilst some non-duality teachers, including Eckhart himself, talk about an evolutionary age of awakening occuring, I see this as little more than encouragement towards the aspirant, and in some cases simply magical thinking. The 'age of awakening' concept has already been hijacked by the pseudo-guru culture, such as Kalki Bhagavan who promises mass-enlightenment for all of humanity in 2012 (surprise surprise) for a mere fee of thousands of dollars per person (surprise surprise).

In all, I would say to forget about such ideas and hopes, simply work to be free from your own ignorance, the rest will sort itself.

:)

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 am

Ananda wrote: In all, I would say to forget about such ideas and hopes, simply work to be free from your own ignorance, the rest will sort itself.
My sentiments exactly Ananda, glad to be in concurrence about that.

On the other hand there is this :?
....since enlightenment is the realization that individuality itself is a delusion born out of ignorance of the Self.
Just as a point of knowledge I would say that the bigger picture includes what I am here, and that is I am an individual body here (I can't feel anyone else's) and that is my symbol in existence of individuality, which then corrupts into personality.

You can't just ignore existence and anyway who realises that individuality is a delusion. It must be your individual mind reflecting on your individual self knowledge. Personality is a delusion yes, but I am not yet at individuality as a delusion.... are you?
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

B_Scott

Post by B_Scott » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:07 am

I probably also wouldn't agree with this concept in the conventional terminology, but I do believe that there is hope for humankind to become "awakened." However, I think it would take a massive shift in about every aspect of life on a global scale. Many people look at the current state of the global economy and focus on the disastrous effects and the suffering that comes with it. However, we would know that what is "good" and what is "bad" is only in the eye of the observer.

I believe that the changes occurring in our current existence have the potential to ultimately either uplift us and put us on the path towards unity and love, or wipe us out completely. In essence, either the death of the collective ego of mankind, or the death of mankind itself. I think it's a matter of each individuals perception that will determine that outcome.
"We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 am

Just as a point of knowledge I would say that the bigger picture includes what I am here, and that is I am an individual body here (I can't feel anyone else's) and that is my symbol in existence of individuality, which then corrupts into personality.
The feeling 'I can't feel anyone else's' is the subjective experience of the body, which is indeed individual and distinct from the subjective experience of other bodies. However, when it is said 'I am an individual body here', this is identification of the Self with objects known to the Self (be it the body or it's subjective experience) and is false.
who realises that individuality is a delusion
Good question. Through direct realisation of the nature of one's own Self, the ignorance of individuality is dissolved, as it is a mere superimposition covering that which the Self always is. It is like a non-existant phantom dissapearing when the light is turned on, the phantom had no reality even when the light was off, but this isn't obvious until the light is turned on. In the same way, individuality (or ego) was and is never true, but appears true for as long as one's nature is not recognised as the Self. In the upanishads, the absolute truth is that there is no bondage or liberation (self-realization) because the ego never existed in the first place, and one is always the Self.

Self-realization is essentialy like 'turning on the light' in order to see reality how it really is now, and how it has always been.

:)

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:29 am

B_Scott wrote: However, we would know that what is "good" and what is "bad" is only in the eye of the observer.

Yes, how can we all live together if we all have different ideas of what is good and what is bad. We can't there would be a dispute sooner or later.

Can you imagine worldly business or commerce without good and bad. It wouldn't happen. For it to work every individual would have to serve something they loved that was common to everyone.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:38 am

I always get a good sense from your posts Ananda and I stay with that. You must be in a good place inside.

B_Scott

Post by B_Scott » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 am

Mouse wrote:Yes, how can we all live together if we all have different ideas of what is good and what is bad. We can't there would be a dispute sooner or later.
Well I agree with you there. There's no doubt that this causes conflict even in our current society. But I was referring more to the fact that how we perceive our circumstances determines our reality. For instance, one may perceive an occurrence in their life to be a punishment until they later realize that they couldn't have grown or succeeded without that event occurring. Or even to say that "one man's curse is another man's blessing."

It makes sense to me that the world would be far less hostile and that people would be much more supportive if we could all perceive everything as being a "blessing." Obviously much easier said than done, and it would obviously take quite a shift in our consciousness for this to happen, but I have faith that these ideas are spreading.
"We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:38 am

I hear you Brandon and I read your inspiring introduction. It will be a better place when more of us perceive everything as a 'blessing' or at least 'right'.

I do not see that the process of purification stops until selfishness is eliminated, so in the parrallel of the world I see no option other than a complete wiping of the slate. Selfishness has made the world, it is it's basis. I see it has no future.

But then if we transcend selfishness we are still self centered. The body still has needs.

I just can't imagine a plan for the good. And as such, all I can do is be my body.

Let's leave it to Life to unfold the plan moment to moment. As it does. Thank God.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:57 pm

I don't believe there will be new age of awakening. These teachings have been around for thousands of years and if there was not a mass awakening in those simpler times, I'm hard pressed to see how these post-modern times will result in an age of awakening. Sure, we have the internet, but my guess is that awakening sites on the internet are a miniscule fraction of other kinds of material. But in the end, its all perfect as it is. Also, wouldn't a mass awakening imply 'game over' for Self :wink:

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Well that is interesting we seem to have a concensus view so far.

So if the age of awakening is not going to happen then what of the world? Will it just get worse and worse and worse in terms of lack of love and life, and more and more sex and excitement and violence, along with better and better football matches and sports.

Will it meet it's end, or will it repackage itself at the edges to lure the rest of humanity further into nowhere.

Any offers?

B_Scott

Post by B_Scott » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:37 pm

These are also good points.

I don't necessarily see an ultimate global awakening where everyone lives in perfect harmony because life itself cannot exist in that sense. There's a balance to everything, yin and yang. But continuing from my last point, I think it's a matter of which we choose to focus on more. However, I do believe that there will be more "spiritually conscious" individuals in the future of our lifetimes. Whether it be more resources for information (internet, books, groups, etc.) or the overwhelming demands placed on our planet. The way I see it, we can either opt to believe that it will worsen or get better, and I'd like to believe that it will get better.

CallyMan

Post by CallyMan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:37 am

Mouse wrote:Can you see it happening without huge upheaval in the world as those who don't get it are used by the emotion that wants to live again?
No.

As much as I hate to admit it, my common sense tells me no. There aren't many things I'm afraid of in this world- even my own death- but the knowledge that a mass upheaval is almost inevitable makes me absolutely terrified; to think of all the beauty in this world being destroyed in a big ball of flames hurts my soul. All the beautiful children, women, trees, flowers, animals... gone. As for the men, I don't care that much (hehe). In fact, there probably wouldn't even be a threat of destruction if men weren't around. If only we were all women.

Well, anyway, someday I really hope to have my own beautiful baby girl- but the thought of her (or any of her possible children) being brought up in a post-apocalyptic warzone is something I can't help but think about and fear. I used to have the feeling that 'Nothing of importance can ever be lost', but somehow that is nothing but a distant memory as I get more attached to the beauty of the world. And the women.

I sometimes get a sense of relief when I hear Eckhart talking about 'global awakening', but it's quickly replaced by a sinking feeling. I know I'm deluding myself. I really don't know what to do or what to think about this. I wish someone could say something to help me get over it, but it won't truly go away. I guess I can only do my best to help bring more consciousness into this world.

Sorry if I sound depressing, but I have played a lot of the video-game "Fallout 3". If you have issues about this subject, stay away from this game!
"Stimulation in excess is a form of intemperance which destroys the vital organs of the body, including the brain. Not everyone knows, however, that over-indulgence in sex expression may become a habit just as destructive."
- Napoleon Hill

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:58 am

CallyMan:

I had to stop watching animal cruelty videos and attending certain meet-ups because they were deppressing me and amplified my feelings of powerlessness. I am as kind and humane as I can possibly be to my two pets and buy extra food for a couple of stray cats. This suffices for now. I hope you can find what works for you.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:34 pm

I read a series of books a while ago and they had a nice psychic reality, you know when a book really holds one in a spell. Well this series of books was written by a russian guy who met a real live wild mystic living in the taiga of siberia. She was a woman called Anastasia, and that is the title of the books, and they are called the Ringing Cedar Series. I was interested in them for the gardening tips that this woman gave but that turned out to be a small part of the books.

The rest was about her many psychic abilities and also her knowledge of the world and history which she accessed intuitively. It has a fairytale quality mixed with thriller and every other genre.She has inspired an enormous amout of her russian people into practical action and since the translation of her books people everywhere have read of her and her amazing life.

Now my point is that she had a novel view of the end of the world in that simply the end of the world is a man made idea that has gathered force in the minds of man and woman over the centuries and is a potent miserable idea in the psyche. And that is what we are reflecting on when we do. It has been put there by magic by the ones who know the power of creating ideas and manipulating society. She her self has this power and she paints a beautiful picture of the world's future for us. Perhaps it will happen. She gives us the inspiration, backed by her will which appears by all accounts to be most potent.

Now that is a lovely idea and I really enjoyed those books at the time. So perhaps that might be something for you CallyMan, it is a bit different and refreshing.