You are not Pure Awareness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Kutso

Re: You are not Pure Awareness

Post by Kutso » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:41 pm

alex wrote:hey I like doing the I am not thing, makes you really feel that you exist. This I am thing its really simple huh, like so simple you probably overlook it but its really dam obvious, am I correct?
Yes, it is the simplest of the simple. "I am" is the very first thought. As close to the source as possible. After that comes all other concepts, "I am this" or "I am that".
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:12 pm

Are Vipassana and "I am" meditation practices compatible? Can they be used together, perhaps even in the same session, effectively? Or could they "work against" each other?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:47 pm

If the beginner in "I am" meditation associates the "I" with the small self, is that okay (rather than something to be alarmed about, resist, etc.), because self will gradually give way to Self with continued meditation?
Rm--this is how it was for me, except I don't meditate formally. But the deep sleep pointer that I read from Ramana Maharishi really helped solidify this for me. It was so clear that in deep sleep, "I am" can only refer to Self, and then upon awakening, the "I" can often get associated with small self.

Once the pointer solidified things, the knowledge of who "I" am is more deeply ingrained now.

So keep at it. It only takes a pointer you resonate with to turn the corner :D

P.S. Thanks Ananda, for a such clear explanation in your post.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:47 pm

I think they are compatible. I use several types of meditation, they all really feel the same, they all really go in the same direction. Observing thoughts, putting attention on breath, scanning the body, Adyashanti's free-form allowing, releasing, the sense of I AM...all of them lead to effortless Awareness. The sense of I AM for is a little slippery and vague, and I think that's just a matter of experience.

James

Post by James » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Hello Alex, welcome to the forum. You wrote:
I do the I am thing it feels like a presence thats in my eyes but at the same time everywhere and nothing, is the in the eyes feeling off track?
As Kutso already said everywhere and nothing describes it well. As for the sensations in the eyes, that's a common feeling, especially for me too. We tend to identify with that, forming a story around it, as in "here I am looking out of these eyes, or out of this head" and that becomes conceptualized into a belief that consciousness originates in a body or a brain. A belief we carry around for many years and which shapes the way we relate to life as this vulnerable little entity, trapped in a body. Ramana referred to this as the "I feeling", which may be much more significant than the "I thought". The "I feeling" is the cumulative effects in the body of believing the "I thought". It's the "I thought" embodied.

But if we look closely, (investigation) all we find is a cluster of sensations, we don't actually find awareness in the body nor as an object that has a beginning or an end; awareness is seamless.

Try allowing that cluster of sensations around the eyes to be in the spacious field of pure awareness, feel it but without attaching a belief to it, neither giving it emphasis nor trying to make it go away.

Let us know how it goes.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:29 pm

rachMiel wrote:Are Vipassana and "I am" meditation practices compatible? Can they be used together, perhaps even in the same session, effectively? Or could they "work against" each other?
Their goal is the same. For the mind to rest in the heart so that insight into reality can happen. You can safely use both.
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Here I go ... into the heart of "I am." Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:44 pm

kutso -

What a nice pointer ("I am not" is false.) Thanks very much. And so simple, like all the best. However, for me, only the "concept" "I am not," is false. Of course it must be false, after all, someone is typing this post. But now, my meditation (after 35 years of "doing it" and a big kensho) is best described simply as "thought-free stillness;" there is no "me." There is only awareness.

Which was the point of starting this thread.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:31 pm

Ok Ananda sometimes when I do the I am thing it feels like a presence thats in my eyes but at the same time everywhere and nothing, is the in the eyes feeling off track? Sounds weird to me
This is great, you're not off track at all :)

Craig

Post by Craig » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Sighclone wrote:Ok. That was a “teaser title.” But my point in this post concerns a big problem with language. I’m reading John Wheeler’s “The Light Behind Consciousness.” Wheeler is a direct-path guy. He repeats himself forever saying essentially “You are non-conceptual pure awareness.”

He’s not the first to assert that. Virtually all the nondual teachers do that. Even me. Even kiki. The problem has to do with the concept of “you” and the concept of “I.”

Andy
Yes, I agree Andy- there can be a conceptual "you" in thought. It's especially problematic when one tries to discuss the separate sense of self, the "I", and then contrasts it with a "you". But there's a fundamental difference in the "you" that's being pointed to. That "you" is just the present awareness that is here right now, effortlessly registering each and every experience. Pause thought, and notice that awareness remains. Or, look into direct experience- is there actually a separate someone- a "you"- outside of your awareness here right now? All of these different descriptions are just pointing back to that awareness, to the lived experience right here and now. For the sake of explanation, a distinction is drawn between the awareness- "you"- and the imagined identity, "I". But, nevertheless, it is difficult to take Wheeler's "you" as a conceptual identity since much of his writings are pointing back to the awareness as what is really being referred to. Words are limited, and provisional only. What matters is how effectively they point to the truth. And the numerous ways Wheeler points back to that awareness are far more effective than teachers who spend their time trying to deal with an "ego", or giving practices and activities to do, or otherwise speaking as though there is an individual you while claiming its non-existence. It is the seeing, and not anything else, that brings clarity.
Who am I?