pain body - adyashantis method

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
monmonn

pain body - adyashantis method

Post by monmonn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:41 am

Okay i think i have witnessed something weird here.

I read Eckhart tolle (both books) at the start of the year and i started practising presence until i got the hang of it and it has been awesome but i always thought there was more to enlightenment then quitening the mind and focusing on breath. Recently i started reading adyashanti's books and his books had a way different method to what eckhart uses, he says to let go of all effort and the let go of trying to let go and then comes in ur natural state which is naturally open in all ways and apparantly ur mind takes less effort to quiten down. I listened to one of his tapes called 'true meditation' where he says methods such as 'being the watcher' or 'focusing on breathe' is like putting a tape over someones mouth and as soon as the tape comes of that someone will start taking at a much higher intensity then before!

So the first day i tried this, whole day trying not to put effort into my thoughts and then taking away effort from trying (its called effortless effort), it worked fine and i was even more intensly in the present then i was before but then today i did the same thing but i am not sure but i think they were velcro thoughts and they triggered pain, and i was feeling it and also i had been mind identified for a while until i clicked back into watching the mind again but the pain was still there the whole day and i still feel it now.

What i want to know is what the pain is? Is it the pain body? Is it a pain i havnt desolved in the past that came back to haunt me again ? (guessing thats what the pain body is)

The pain seems to be dessolving since i am not reacting to it, help would be appreiciated.

Monish :)

Kutso

Re: pain body - adyashantis method

Post by Kutso » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:12 am

What Adyashanti describes is the same as accepting what is, and that means accepting the pain as well. When people get into spirituality, they think that there is a way to have all the pleasure and no pain. This can never be the case. In duality there is always both pain and pleasure, and if you want pleasure you are going to have to put out with pain as well.

You want to know what the pain is. Well, does it really matter? Does categorizing the pain really make any difference? Whenever pain is felt, there should be two questions: "Who is feeling pain? 'I' am. Well then, who am 'I'?".
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

hanss

Post by hanss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 am

I'm a newbie, don't know what's right or wrong and don't even know who this Adyashanti is. Personally I try to follow only ET, so I don't get confused or complicate things more than necessary. I see a difference between "A Watcher" that is only watching and allowing and one that is also judging and analyzing. To put tape over the egos mouth is to judge it/myself. To tell myself to shut up or stop thinking in a certain way.
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

hanss

Post by hanss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:09 am

Kutso wrote: "Who is feeling pain? 'I' am. Well then, who am 'I'?".
Yes, simple and helpful. Thank you.
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

alex

Post by alex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 am

I will highly reccomend Adyashanti, his ever so simple meditation has been a godsend. I find him much more helpful than Tolle... after all Tolle didnt really have to make the journey did he.
If you can truly find it from your heart to allow what is to be axactly as it is... man start to feel your body tingle and enjoy that infinitely deep let go!
I would do as Adya reccomends and allow the the thoughts to be along with the pain. When you truly allow the pain to be it is often such a doorway into peace. Practice acceptance and allow it all to be, there's nowhere to go.
xx

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 pm

What i want to know is what the pain is? Is it the pain body? Is it a pain i havnt desolved in the past that came back to haunt me again ? (guessing thats what the pain body is)
It doesn't really matter, does it? The fact of the matter is, it's there. Let it be there; no need to analyze it, label it, know its derivation or do anything else with it except feel it fully, without resistance.

Personally, I think Adya's true meditation is about as good a "practice" as you'll find anywhere. It's applicable in all situations, whether you choose to have a more formal sit-down meditation period with it or use it during normal daily activities and circumstances.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

monmonn

Post by monmonn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks guys

But i figured my real delemma is watching the mind. I have a habit of doing it that when I use true meditation and let go of control (including being the witness of thoughts) i tend to get identified with thought again and thats when pain comes in.
It feels like being the 'watcher of thoughts' is a mask i am wearing over pain :(

Its day two and the pain has fully desolved from yesterday (even thought i saw the notebook last night lol), And i got a little fear of letting go of control. I am off to school but i will wait til i get home then i will go through true meditation again :)

My guess is that being my natural self is taking away my identity and my mind finds that a threath and things i've been holding back have been creeping back to the surface to be 'de-framed'

But thanks again guys and good mourning :)

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:18 pm

mon -

Who knows what lurks beneath the surface? Or how old it is. It all gets to be released, though.

"Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God." -- That's a key phrase in A Course in Miracles.

As you get more familiar with releasing techniques (Sedona Method, mc2method.com, Byron Katie's the work.com, Adya's True Meditation, Karmarider's technique, etc.) and practicing them, you will grow more confident that anything which arises and causes stress can be fully accepted and released. Also, the encouragement and simple techniques at greatfreedom.org may be appealing. The reason ET is so valuable is that he is pointing to something which far transcends his mind. He happens to have a particularly elegant and effective way of expressing truth, but so do others...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce