Understanding Emotions

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
great2be

Understanding Emotions

Post by great2be » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:28 am

Below is a list of emotions.

All of the negative ones are caused by believing untrue ideas.
All the positive ones occur naturally and arise just in everyday living.

See if you can discover the untrue ideas behind each of the negative ones.
If you do this, insight should arise and you'll discover a new energy emerging.

Here's the list of emotions

# Negative and forceful

* Anger
* Annoyance
* Contempt
* Disgust
* Hate
* Irritation

# Negative and not in control

* Anxiety
* Embarrassment
* Fear
* Helplessness
* Powerlessness
* Worry

# Negative

* Doubt
* Envy
* Frustration
* Guilt
* Shame

# Negative and passive

* Boredom
* Despair
* Disappointment
* Hurt
* Sadness

# Agitation

* Stress
* Shock
* Tension

# Positive and lively

* Amusement
* Delight
* Elation
* Excitement
* Happiness
* Joy

# Caring

* Affection
* Empathy
* Friendliness
* Love

# Quiet positive

* Calm
* Content
* Relaxed
* Serene
An imaginary seeker, seeking an imaginary goal.
Realise the nature of imagination and the fallacious effort ends.

Have you ever seen a dog chasing it's tail?

What happens when the dog runs faster?

gen6

Re: Understanding Emotions

Post by gen6 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:13 pm

What's the difference between a feeling and an emotion?
Live as if nothing and everything matters at the same time.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:39 pm

gen6 wrote:What's the difference between a feeling and an emotion?
We can of course define feeling and emotion in any way we want. What I find useful is to say that "feeling" is an intuitive, natural message which comes to us in form of a body sensation. An "emotion" is built-up; it's an embodied construction of body sensation connected with thought-stories, and usually full of accumulated stories.

When we can be present to an emotion, we can allow and make space for it, we can see that it's nothing more than body sensations associated with bundles of thought. We can let go of any emotion in this way.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:43 pm

great2be wrote:Below is a list of emotions...
It can be helpful to look at it this way. I tend to intellectualize so I find it easier not to label, but I can see how this can be helpful to many.

The Sedona Method (the book) describes a similar continuum of emotions. The spectrum scales from the very "negative" apathy at the bottom, to "peace and acceptance" at the top, with fear and anger and lust and others dotting the way. We can identify and release these emotions.

enigma

Post by enigma » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:20 pm

All of the negative ones are caused by believing untrue ideas.
All the positive ones occur naturally and arise just in everyday living.

See if you can discover the untrue ideas behind each of the negative ones.
All emotions are caused by untrue ideas. See if you can discover the the untrue ideas behind the positive emotions as well. Grasping one and rejecting the other as untrue is an attempt to cut the end off of a stick so that it has just one end.

Dan_Clizer

Post by Dan_Clizer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:07 pm

karmarider wrote:
We can of course define feeling and emotion in any way we want. What I find useful is to say that "feeling" is an intuitive, natural message which comes to us in form of a body sensation. An "emotion" is built-up; it's an embodied construction of body sensation connected with thought-stories, and usually full of accumulated stories.

When we can be present to an emotion, we can allow and make space for it, we can see that it's nothing more than body sensations associated with bundles of thought. We can let go of any emotion in this way.
karmarider,

Thank you very much for making this distinction. In the overall bigger picture, the words don't really matter very much but just as a practical every-day application; I've had minor difficulty in explaining the difference from my perspective. As ET pointed out (and you have also), an "emotion" is literally a disturbance. Now, one could say there are positive and negative emotions, but 'disturbance' and 'positive' don't really go together. A "feeling" (for me) is indeed coming from a greater depth and is intuitive, nurturing, compassionate, loving, joyful, playful, etc. Feeling(s) comes from spirit or presence, emotion on the other hand is the body's response to disturbing thought.
ET even forgets this distinction at least once in PON and it therefore (I feel) bears repeating. Feeling to me is coming from the great depth of presence and is primarily of divine feminine in origin. Feminine energy exists within both male and female and of course is usually primary within females, but not always. Men usually are primarily masculine in their expression, but not always. What we seek in these human bodies is a balance between masculine and feminine. At this point on our planet, there are still very few humans who have a balance of the two energies, but within a few years there will be many more.

Love,
Dan

the key master

Post by the key master » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Dan said,
Feminine energy exists within both male and female and of course is usually primary within females, but not always. Men usually are primarily masculine in their expression, but not always. What we seek in these human bodies is a balance between masculine and feminine. At this point on our planet, there are still very few humans who have a balance of the two energies, but within a few years there will be many more.
Yah I concur. Eckhart once said that females are "closer to enlightenment". I feel that the phenomena of the "enlightened ego" is much less with the feminine energy. From my limited perspective, I would say females fear emotional pain much less than males, and are thus more able to express it. Thus they have less need to "believe" they are awareness, which is the root of the enlightened ego. But I would say that the movement you mention will go both ways, as the feminine energy learns to "get in touch" for lack of better phraseology with their masculine side. And what better way to learn the motions of the opposite energy than to share experiences with it. I suppose thats one reason why relationships are such great learning opportunities for the soul...

alex

Post by alex » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 am

I'm not too sure about feminine/masculine, the life force feels pretty genderless to me. Are these not just more labels/concepts? I guess I couldn't know for sure though unless I could hop into a man's body and feel what he feels.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:28 am

You are perhaps refering to sensation deep in the body when you mention feeling. Karmarider makes a good distinction between sensation and emotion
karmarider wrote:. An "emotion" is built-up; it's an embodied construction of body sensation connected with thought-stories, and usually full of accumulated stories.
I say emotion is a sensation but emotions have an element of interpretation woven into them. So I look at an emotion and it reflects something personal to me, and then I look at a sensation and it has no personal reflection in it, but it might reflect knowledge of life to me, such as the knowledge that life is good.

This is an effective way to identify self in all it's subtleties. The sense of my self has got this emotional signature that goes very deep. Beyond it is sensational being, the being of life that I is here.
Last edited by Mouse on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

the key master

Post by the key master » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 am

Alex said,
I'm not too sure about feminine/masculine, the life force feels pretty genderless to me. Are these not just more labels/concepts? I guess I couldn't know for sure though unless I could hop into a man's body and feel what he feels.
Yes the life force itself is undifferentiated. On the level of soul, there is a split between the masculine and feminine energies. But the truth of the matter is, even the soul, we are not. So when i discuss masculine/feminine, I am referring to the play of form, not to that which is beyond, which exists within each of us...

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:52 am

the key master wrote:Alex said,
Yes the life force itself is undifferentiated. On the level of soul, there is a split between the masculine and feminine energies. But the truth of the matter is, even the soul, we are not. So when i discuss masculine/feminine, I am referring to the play of form, not to that which is beyond, which exists within each of us...

What is the soul, can you demonstrate it in my experience?
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

the key master

Post by the key master » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:31 am

Mouse said,
What is the soul, can you demonstrate it in my experience?
Sure. Warning, mystical content forthcoming...

It is the tendency to self seek through thinking which cuts the soul off from the wholeness of here and now. Im sure you've heard that ulimately, there is no "I" which thinks. Well we're going a little deeper than that. Surely you've had the experience of seeking wholeness somewhere other than here and now? It is the tendency of the thinking mind "to be" some image in future which cuts the human form off from the wholeness of now. So if our desires are grounded in separation, meaning if we are striving "to be" a thought rather than expressing what we are through thought, the tendency of the soul to self seek through thinking still exists.

Enlightenment then is the end of self seeking through thought. When essence is drawn away from being, away from the manifested, and tied into "desires grounded in separation", it is the soul connected with the human form which must learn the lessons of love, which is to say, that wholeness can only be here and now. So the soul is like an "ego", only a little more complex in that it includes the essence of the human form. The human experience, or more particularly the spiritual journey, is a journey of the soul back to wholeness, back to simplicity, which is achieved by discovering what love actually is. So if desires grounded in separation still exist in the dimension of thought upon death, your soul or desires will reincarnate. It is love for the false which causes our desires to seek love rather than express it. Not to say we stop setting goals, we stop looking for ourselves in our goals, where we could never be in the first place.

Have you ever astrally projected from your body? Or had a Source experience? These would be soul experiences, beyond the body, yet capable of being remembered by the mind connected to the body. I would even call every day living a soul experience, but theres really nothing mystical about that.

On the more every day level, some dreams are actually soul experiences. If you can observe your body and face in a dream, from a more "3rd person perspective", and the dream is vivid in character, there is a good chance you are witnessing a soul dream. Visiting other souls that we have a spiritual connection with in the world of dreams is not only possible, but quite common in my experience. Id say I've had 4 in the last month. Soul dreams tend to have very deep meaning, particulalry regarding one's life situation and destiny.

Ultimately all experiences arise within What We Are.

--j

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:49 am

the key master wrote:

...,. it is the soul connected with the human form which must learn the lessons of love, which is to say, that wholeness can only be here and now. So the soul is like an "ego", only a little more complex in that it includes the essence of the human form. The human experience, or more particularly the spiritual journey, is a journey of the soul back to wholeness, back to simplicity, which is achieved by discovering what love actually is.

--j
Oh good I see we are on the same page! Thank you for your reply.

What you call Soul, is what I refer to as self which includes the body. What I am here is a self and I can not escape that while I have a body. I can realise that which is beyond or greater than my self and then live that knowledge through my self ....back to simplicity, which is achieved by discovering what love actually is. ...and is not.

And with reference to this thread Love is not an emotion, it is a knowledge. Human love is an emotion or emotional, but that is selfish love, it has got my self in it. My self is emotion. I am an emotional creature and the purpose of this life is to become more intelligent and transcend this emotional condition. Emotion is not intelligent. Love is intelligent.

great2be

Post by great2be » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:27 am

enigma wrote:All emotions are caused by untrue ideas. See if you can discover the the untrue ideas behind the positive emotions as well. Grasping one and rejecting the other as untrue is an attempt to cut the end off of a stick so that it has just one end.
Please illustrate.
Thanks
An imaginary seeker, seeking an imaginary goal.
Realise the nature of imagination and the fallacious effort ends.

Have you ever seen a dog chasing it's tail?

What happens when the dog runs faster?

the key master

Post by the key master » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:41 pm

mouse said:
....back to simplicity, which is achieved by discovering what love actually is. ...and is not.
Very nice Mouse.