Favorite Quotes (And What They Mean To You)

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Favorite Quotes (And What They Mean To You)

Post by erict » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Every once in a while we run into something, that resonates so deeply within us, clarifies something or makes us realize something we've never even considered.

I've started this thread to invite you to share quotes that have special meaning for you, and write a few words on what each quote means to you.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: Favorite Quotes

Post by erict » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Let me start with a quote from Eckhart Tolle:

"Words reduce reality to something the human mind can grasp, which isn’t very much. Language consists of five basic sounds produced by the vocal cords. They are the vowels a, e, i, o, u. The other sounds are consonants produced by air pressure: s, f, g, and so forth. Do you believe some combination of such basic sounds could ever explain who you are, or the ultimate purpose of the universe, or even what a tree or stone is in its depth?" -- Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth

The first time I've heard it, it was actually before A New Earth was released, in one of his talks. The moment I heard it was such a wow moment for me. Oh my God, all these words, concepts, and ideas I take so seriously, I take to be reality, they are just a limited representation. A really limited, inadequate representation of something they will never be able to represent adequately. At that moment, it just seemed so ridiculous that 26 letters or a handful of sounds could ever represent reality! While here I am, acting like they not only represent it, buy they are it, they are reality. Ridiculous.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

gen6

Post by gen6 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:32 pm

forum member great2be:
Have you ever seen a dog chasing it's tail? What happens when the dog runs faster?
Live as if nothing and everything matters at the same time.

LifeIsButAdream

Post by LifeIsButAdream » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Before you drift off, don't forget. Which is to say, remember. Because remembering is so much more a psychotic activity than forgetting.

arel

Post by arel » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:05 pm

"The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse" Carlos Castaneda
"Where did you go, psycho boy?" "I felt like destroying something beautiful" Fight Club
What I say is only my viewpoint.

LifeIsButAdream

Post by LifeIsButAdream » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

The seeker is he who is in search of himself.
Give up all questions except one: ‘Who am I?’ After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The ‘I am’ is certain. The ‘I am this’ is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality.
To know what you are, you must first investigate and know what you are not.
Discover all that you are not -- body, feelings thoughts, time, space, this or that -- nothing, concrete or abstract, which you perceive can be you. The very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive.
The clearer you understand on the level of mind you can be described in negative terms only, the quicker will you come to the end of your search and realise that you are the limitless being.
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

heidi

Post by heidi » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

hanss

Post by hanss » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Be at least as interested in what goes on inside you as what happens outside. If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place.

(ET)
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:09 pm

Alice came to a fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?"
responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll
Alice in Wonderland
Who am I without my story?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:03 am

Is it possible for the rose to say, 'I will give my fragrance to the good people who smell me, but I will withhold it from the bad?' Or is it possible for the lamp to say, 'I will give my light to the good people in this room, but I will withhold it from the evil people'? Or can a tree say, 'I'll give my shade to the good people who rest under me, but I will withhold it from the bad'? These are images of what love is about.

Anthony De Mello
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

mmy

Post by mmy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:34 am

Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars...and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful. Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance. Look at the flowers - for no reason. It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.

-Osho

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:15 am

I think it would be a lot more interesting if each person shares not only the quote, but the personal meaning it has for them.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 am

1. “Do not seek the truth; only cease to cherish opinions.” -Seng-ts’an, called the Hsin-Hsin Ming
2. The greatest mystery is that Man is mortal and yet lives as if he is immortal -Mahabharata

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:31 am

"No truth is the truth unless it is lived" - Barry Long

This is such a simple statement and yet it dismisses the notion of truth as intellectual remembrance.

Barry Long was one for bringing the truth right down into the body and the living life.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

hanss

Post by hanss » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:52 pm

More Barry Long:
Keep feeling inside you, that is where the truth is known. Not in your head.
I have found that the "spiritual world", which is rather new to me, is full of concepts, beliefs, rituals and advice how to think, what to do and so on. And most of it is IMO mind stuff. IntelIectual. Theorys. I like it alot, found it interesting and stimulating. I read, think, talk and listen. But most of my "experiences", inner transformation and progress comes when I skip it all and focus on my body, use my senses, use my body in a concious way, watch beauty, listen to silence, watch emotions.
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)