Changing views on religion & spirituality

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
HandfullaMinerals

Changing views on religion & spirituality

Post by HandfullaMinerals » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:15 am

Hello all,

I'd say it was about the age of 16 or 17 that I kind of majorly lost touch with any kind of spirituality and religious beliefs. It's like the more and more society lets you down the more easy it is to get angry at an imaginary God, which for me was more anger at society, friends, family, parents, and what I discovered was the anger was directed towards this object that I detested which I called me. My mind took ownership and considered this body and mind nothing more than a vessel. I used to imagine myself as a ship or a car, nothing more than a tool.

I had this belief that religion was just for 'weak minded people who couldn't think for themselves' and were seeking it in churches, temples & synagogues. When now I realise that all religions ultimately do not aspire to club and gang mentality. The lucky few who get their religion, whatever religion it may be, also disconnect from the religion also if they're practicing correctly.

I was disappointed in everything in my life a few months ago, I felt I'd got nowhere, and that I should have known where I was going and maybe I would have been in a different situation. This was mostly about where I was a success in the eyes of the world. I looked to religion as a kind of respectable thing and was just about to throw the towel in with all my pursuits, then I thought wait a minute, am I not taking the same mindset into this venture also? Deep down I knew it was doomed to failure if I took along the same mindset into that arena.

So spiritual? Everyone is spiritual, everyone at some level is looking for deeper meaning. If it's angry teenagers, they are looking to make that anger go away, but society doesn't offer the mechanisms and know how to make that anger and fear go away. They just give you a quick fix [plaster / band aid] and tell you to get on with it.

Religion, don't turn it into an identity, use it as a tool to gradually improve. And I'm sure anyone writing on this forum who is genuine, can get any religion and know that they are all true. Just a different view of that same mountain inside us.

- iamego
It is the ego which raises difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.

erbeeflower

Re: Changing views on religion & spirituality

Post by erbeeflower » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 am

Hello iamego,interesting to read you. I'll cut to the chase- i think we humans are constrained by religions.It's religions which may cause separation. Holding influencing beliefs based on faith seems to be a recipe for disaster.We desperately need to find an alternative to religion based living. That is what we're doing here i hope :D :idea: :wink: :D :o peace
I'm still enjoying thinking and exploring too much to get stuck here :-)

erbeeflower

Post by erbeeflower » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:02 pm

erbeeflower wrote:Hello iamego,interesting to read you. I'll cut to the chase- i think we humans are constrained by religions.It's religions which may cause separation. Holding influencing beliefs based on faith seems to be a recipe for disaster.We desperately need to find an alternative to religion based living. That is what we're doing here i hope :D :idea: :wink: :D :o peace
So sorry if i killed this topic? Anyone else want to express their perspective of changing views on religion & spirituality? A very interesting topic.
I'm still enjoying thinking and exploring too much to get stuck here :-)

Intel

Post by Intel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:54 pm

I do not believe that religions cause separation. People that grow up without religion still feel separation, people that explore 'spirituality' still feel separation, just as people who are devoted to a religion experience separation.

Iamego is correct in saying that religion used to make one a better person or grow inwardly is a good thing. Of course you do not need it, but to claim it needs to be thrown in the bin is ignorant. It reminds me of the famous quote "If there was no God it would be necessary to create him". What that means is that humans will always search for who they are, and some people feel comfortable and grow in strength doing this within a group. You constrain yourself just as much identifying who you are as a 'spiritual person' as you would identifying with any religion.
I would lick your feet, but is that the sickest move?