All we need is love.

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
enigma
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:51 am

Re: All we need is love.

Post by enigma » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Ralph wrote:
cherrywood38 wrote:
This would seem to be true. But how does one "feel loved"?
All that's needed is to love yourself first but unfortunately many have become comfortably numb and the feeling is lost.
You just posted a Youtube that said otherwise. Self love is indeed a step on the path, but what William Samuel was talking about was being Love, and for this the self must be abandoned. Love IS, where the separate self is not. It is present in your absence.

Thunder2008
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Re: All we need is love.

Post by Thunder2008 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:35 pm

We NEED love?????

I can not get you guys. How can you be in the being mode and NEED love at the same time???

It looks like ego kicking in here !!!! :twisted:

Ralph
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:08 am

Re: All we need is love.

Post by Ralph » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:16 am

enigma wrote:
You just posted a Youtube that said otherwise. Self love is indeed a step on the path, but what William Samuel was talking about was being Love, and for this the self must be abandoned. Love IS, where the separate self is not. It is present in your absence.
It all depends from what viewpoint you are seeing from.

enigma
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:51 am

Re: All we need is love.

Post by enigma » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:00 am

There's only one viewpoint that isn't imaginary. There are various contexts, and in the context of human identification, love is feeling and action connected to a dualistic concept. It fails precisely because it is not ultimately True and must be defined by that which it seeks to destroy through it's expression.

Ralph
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:08 am

Re: All we need is love.

Post by Ralph » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:14 am

enigma wrote:
There's only one viewpoint that isn't imaginary.
Okay then, from that viewpoint then yes, Love is, .... It is present in your absence.

:)

Cherrywood38
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Re: All we need is love.

Post by Cherrywood38 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:08 am

I resonate with this thread because I've often felt that my interest in 'enlightenment' was as a means to avoid the pain of an unsuccessful love life. I've always believed that I would not be interested in anything spiritual or trans-personal if I had the love and social life I wanted, I would already be happy on a normal egoic level, and that would be that.
I think human beings need to love, to feel loved and to make love the same way we need to breathe, eat, and defecate. Unlike those last three, we won't die without it, but we'll feel empty and unfulfilled, and if we aren't able to make it happen we'll inevitably turn to spirituality and the allure of trans-personal consciousness. Not to say that someone who was sucessful romantically wouldn't also be interested in these things, they might, and in fact, they would probably have more to gain from it as a happy ego is often easier to transcend I hear.
I suppose I've become spiritually pessimistic. Concepts like 'I am love' or 'I feel loved because I love myself' may feel good for a minute, like opening a Hallmark card you got in the mail, but they fade just about as fast and ultimately, for me, mean next to nothing. The idea of refraining from thinking the majority of the day is equally silly for me, and un-do-able.
Our very minds and egos themselves are products of thinking, of social interaction. The idea that in our mind we could 'decide' to refrain from thinking, to live beyond a self-center, or disconnect our emotional stability from our biologically programed needs seems untenable to me. The self that proclaims it wants to go beyond the self is delusional. It doesn't, and can't even if it wanted to, it's just giberesh really. The self wants to love, to be loved, to have rich friendships, to accomplish things, to have exciting experiences, to achieve comfort, and those are actually the most noble of its goals, it gets pretty ugly below that, and there's a lot down there too.
There a reason why it's called the 'human condition', because that term has a ring of resigned finality to it. 10,000 + years of civilization and very little has changed. If you want to respond to what I've said, please cite specific examples in your own life, not bumper-sticker slogans. No offense, just trying to be real...

Quinn
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 am

Re: All we need is love.

Post by Quinn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:37 pm

Great post, Cherrywood - I love when it gets real :mrgreen:

I agree with pretty much everything you say, except for
Cherrywood38 wrote:Not to say that someone who was sucessful romantically wouldn't also be interested in these things, they might, and in fact, they would probably have more to gain from it as a happy ego is often easier to transcend I hear.
A happy ego is harder to let go of. Who wants to stay attached to a painful ego?
Cherrywood38 wrote:The self that proclaims it wants to go beyond the self is delusional. It doesn't, and can't even if it wanted to, it's just giberesh really.
This is pure gold. You're so right. Once this is understood, it's a great starting point.
Cherrywood38 wrote:The idea of refraining from thinking the majority of the day is equally silly for me, and un-do-able.
Exactly. What we really want to do is stop being a puppet to our thoughts. Stop letting them dictate our lives. See them for what they are - a fragment, a running commentary on what life is, and usually a distorted one at that.

If you believe that spirituality is about 'not thinking' and 'destroying the ego', then of course you would become pessimistic. They're both not only impossible, but ridiculous. I see it all as much much simpler than that. To me, it's about living life as it is without trying to make it into something that it's not. And it seems that in order to do that we have to find out what we are and what we are not. I'm still working on that, but I do know that I am not the "me" who wants to go beyond "me".

Plorel
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: All we need is love.

Post by Plorel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Great post, Cherrywood - I love when it gets real :mrgreen:
yeah, challenging posts are great!
If you believe that spirituality is about 'not thinking' and 'destroying the ego', then of course you would become pessimistic. They're both not only impossible, but ridiculous. I see it all as much much simpler than that. To me, it's about living life as it is without trying to make it into something that it's not. And it seems that in order to do that we have to find out what we are and what we are not.
I first wanted to write something myself, but then I thought someone would come up with a shorter and better version of what I wanted to say and 'bingo' I was right ^^
Who am I without my story?

Post Reply