Thinking is driving me insane

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Riken

Thinking is driving me insane

Post by Riken » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:52 pm

I think so much its not even funny.
Always in past and future, sometimes now, but then I start thinking about now and compare it to past and future = anxiety.

My confidence dips alot, comes and goes frequently, its the worst feeling, being on top of the world one minute then down feeling weak the next.

I am afraid to say nothing I have practiced from Eckhart's works have actually had an effect yet, whenever I try and focus my attention on now it just feels very strained and forced and uncomfortable. I can't seem to get rid of the delusion of time either. Mind just rushes in and destroys any chance I have of experiencing 'stillness'

One more thing, alot of people say that you can't make yourself awaken, it will happen of its own accord. Really? Anyone found this not to be the case? (I hope so because thinking this much is driving me bat shit crazy!)

Thanks for any responses.
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players"

karmarider

Re: Thinking is driving me insane

Post by karmarider » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Riken wrote:I think so much its not even funny.
"Observing thought" has been effective for me in slowing down the momentum of thought.
Riken wrote:Always in past and future, sometimes now, but then I start thinking about now and compare it to past and future = anxiety.
Try a release method to relieve anxiety.
Riken wrote:...I can't seem to get rid of the delusion of time either...
I've found self-inquiry to be much more effective than trying to get rid of thought or the delusion of time.
Riken wrote:One more thing, alot of people say that you can't make yourself awaken...
This means that you can't awaken yourself because what you take yourself to be is just an idea. It doesn't mean that awakening cannot be effected.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:33 am

There is no "I" that thinks.
There is just a process.
A thought-process.

Stories about other peoples "enlightenment" are just more words.

It all just happens, just like feelings.

Futile resistance also just happens.

A total defocus may also happen.

Why shouldnt it ?

The totality of existance is already there.
There is constant change, or change in a constant.
That what changes cannot be fixed for ever,
and that which is always fixed cant change.
Nothing can be mentioned that does not exist.
Stuff is tangible, or it is an idea.

Thats it.
---ooOoo---

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:52 pm

If you are emotional you will not stop thinking. Thinking, like you describe is powered by emotion, the self that you feel you are, in the subconscious and you are not seeing that. When you look for your self it will distract you with anything that is not right in your life. It is the guardian to the deeper levels of the psyche.

What circumstance makes you react emotionally in your life? Have a look and see if there is any action you can take to dispel that circumstantial emotion. That would take the form of identifying the 'trigger' or circumstance and looking internally first aswell as externally at the possibilities to take action to get that more right. Look for the cause of emotion within and without.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

enigma

Post by enigma » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:32 am

thinking this much is driving me bat shit crazy!
I can't help but wonder why you would want to do that. I'd like to help collapse that whole notion that you don't want to think because it's that belief that results in the conflict. So the goal is not to stop the thinking but to stop the conflict that keeps the struggle with it going.

I don't really know how folks justify it anymore, but it's very simple; you think because you want to think. Nobody forces you to think. Yes, thoughts bubble up from unconscious levels, and you have no way to predict them. You don't know anything about them until you see them, but this isn't the problem. The problem is your interest in them. The problem is that you want to chase them, and then you drive yourself bat shit crazy trying to stop them. Notice the absurdity of that.

Stop trying to stop them and just keep noticing them. This is what you've started doing, which is why it drives you crazy. My God! What insanity runs through the mind that was never really noticed before, right? What happens when you notice it, really notice it, is that you don't want to do that anymore. When you don't want to think anymore, a funny thing happens.....you stop thinking.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:59 am

enigma wrote:Yes, thoughts bubble up from unconscious levels, and you have no way to predict them.
An image may come in and there is no stopping that and then the next move is critical. Do I hold it until it dissolves and return to stillness, or do I start the associative thinking process and start thinking?

Because thinking has been put into the psyche, and the psyche loving gives back what I put into it, there is a momentum that 'wants' to think. This can be felt as the psychic tension of my self, the feeling in my body. So to really bust thinking, first I must have had enough of it and then to investigate and discover this psychic tension. If I just watch thoughts I will be at it for the rest of my life, the thing to do is penetrate this body which simply represents the opening to the psyche, and become conscious in the region of the belly.

This action contains the psychic tension there, which was doing the thinking in the first place. Extraordinary and yet true.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

enigma

Post by enigma » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:45 pm

An image may come in and there is no stopping that and then the next move is critical. Do I hold it until it dissolves and return to stillness, or do I start the associative thinking process and start thinking?

Because thinking has been put into the psyche, and the psyche loving gives back what I put into it, there is a momentum that 'wants' to think.
A thought may be stimulated by a feeling, sense perception, memory, whatever. There's an interest in thought because it's a movement: experience.

This can be felt as the psychic tension of my self, the feeling in my body. So to really bust thinking, first I must have had enough of it and then to investigate and discover this psychic tension. If I just watch thoughts I will be at it for the rest of my life, the thing to do is penetrate this body which simply represents the opening to the psyche, and become conscious in the region of the belly.

This action contains the psychic tension there, which was doing the thinking in the first place. Extraordinary and yet true.
Body and mind are not separate, so however one becomes conscious is fine.
Thinking is based on the sense of self that comes with consciousness. When this sense of self is identified with the mind/body, an ego structure forms which has it's own momentum of desire and fear.
Last edited by enigma on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heidi

Post by heidi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:53 pm

I just recommended the book Untethered Soul by Michael Singer - and it is especially to this aspect that I recommend it. Read it carefully and it will change your life.

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =27&t=3698
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave