How to stay in the I am?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: How to stay in the I am?

Postby Mouse » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm

none wrote: If no, then is there something that I can do (or undo) every minute or every second?

I enjoy the inner sensational reality of my body.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.
Mouse

Postby none » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks Ananda.

Mouse, thanks for the pointer.
none

Postby Midnight » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:12 am

Ananda, when you talk about using your attention as a blade or whatever, do you mean, every object (thought, emotion, mental pattern etc) that appears, you get rid of it and focus on the nothingness that is there when they dissappear?

The self enquiry you did with me a while back was handy, but my thought stream can be so intense its almost hard to see what is going on because so many thoughts are present.
Midnight

Postby Ananda » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 am

Hello Midnight,

when you talk about using your attention as a blade or whatever, do you mean, every object (thought, emotion, mental pattern etc) that appears, you get rid of it and focus on the nothingness that is there when they dissappear?

There are at least two ways of negating objects. One is a systematic sublation (not this, not this) whereby you start with an object external to the body, and then work your way backwards with your attention through the various means of knowledge that this object is known by until you arrive at the Subject which is not an object and cannot be negated. This is the self-enquiry that we went through. The second way of negating objects is the other which I've mentioned in this thread; resting in the I am, that is, using your attention to immediately remove all objects of knowledge by recognising only the Subject.

With the second approach, all that is needed is a firm discrimination that the seer of things seen is different from the things themselves. In short, if you are not what can be seen, then you are the seer only. Therefore, with one's attention brought immediately away from all things seen it rests naturally and automatically in the seeing, or the seer, itself. Resting one's attention in it's source, which is the seer, is naturally abiding in the sense 'I am'- as opposed to what I am aware of. When you rest your attention in this way then all objects are automatically negated - they are negated just by the fact of not bothering or attending to them. You don't need to systematically negate objects one by one with this enquiry- just discriminate immediately and directly that you are not an object and the discrimination itself removes all objects, revealing the pure awareness of the Self behind. There's no effort, practice or method with this enquiry, it is just an immediate re-cognition, a direct discernment of what already is true.

It isn't a 'nothingness' that remains when objects are negated, as even a 'nothingness' would be objectified by the knower of it. What remains is not an object, not a 'thing' so to speak, but awareness without form, a homogenous spotless 'isness' and without parts or duality (of self and other, knower and known), what is truly meant by 'you' or 'I'.

The self enquiry you did with me a while back was handy, but my thought stream can be so intense its almost hard to see what is going on because so many thoughts are present.

In this case, have a go at the second form of enquiry;

You need nothing to know you exist, you don't need to know anything at all - as all things known are by the very fact of your existence already. You do not need any practice, any method, any mantra, any thought or idea or imagining, any model or label or theory. You don't need to have a certain knowledge, you don't need to be free from ignorance. Your existence needs nothing else in order to be known- just immediately turn your attention towards yourself, towards yourself as the witness, as the awareness. Know you are awareness only, not the things you are aware of. Know you are the container only, not the contents. Know you are the screen only, not the moving pictures. There is no other means by which you are to be known. Get rid of all objects, all otherness, drop it, turn away, only recognise and accept your own existence. Strive to know yourself by no means other than your existence as it is. You need no other to confirm this for you.

You are awareness. To know yourself as awareness then forget everything that is not you. Forget everything you know objectively. Forget the body. Forget the mind, forget each thought. Forget the ego. All of these are unreal like phantoms- drop your interest in them and turn away from what is not you. Forsake everything that is immediately cognisable and objectified by you, this is a process of not-knowing, of unknowing.. You will be revealed effortlessly, by yourself, to yourself, as the self-shining seer, pure, objectless awareness that is alone one's being.

By abiding in the I am sense you automatically negate all objects, all things that you know, including the mind and its views. All of your false beliefs and conditioning appear true for as long as there isn't discrimination between yourself and what you see, between the Self and non-Self. Get certain discrimination by abiding in the I am; all subjective experience will be transcended and you will be aware of yourself only as pure, boundless, spotless awareness- without body, and without mind. All false views and ignorance will be gradually burned away by this discrimination- you don't need to get rid of them, just be yourself, discriminate yourself from what you are not. Be yourself only and reject everything else. Be alone by yourself and recognise nothing but your Self, your own shining existence- awareness.

:)
Ananda

Previous

Return to General Discussion