Entrance Exam for Forum.

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
KPO

Entrance Exam for Forum.

Post by KPO » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:50 am

I notice that when a post falls short of the moderators' idea of what is a suitable use of English, the sender is soon cautioned on the grounds that many members do not have English as their first language and may not understand. It would seem to me that the same rule should apply to the other end of the scale; to those whose posts indicate a higher level of education and therefore whose use of English can be a bit of a challenge to those of average education or below. I have read Tolle's books many times and would recommend his style and use of English to others. I have never had the slightest problem with him, nor I suspect has any other menber. Otherwise, perhaps you should have an entrance exam.-- OK, I'm not serious.

Natalie

Re: Entrance Exam for Forum.

Post by Natalie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:21 am

Hello KPO:

I did find one writer on this forum who used big words quite often. I often found this person's writing very challenging, but if I remember correctly, this was brought up to that person's attention on a post and that person has since then brought it down a couple of notches. At least it appears to me that way. I understand that there are big words that have no substitutes and find it a little frustating when big words are consistently chosen over smaller words with the same meaning.

I do appreciate the moderator's requests to use proper punctuation and capitalization though. This really makes reading posts a lot easier and enjoyable.

You may be referring to specifics instances that I may have missed.

I also enjoy Eckhart's writing style and find listening to him a true pleasure.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:00 am

I sort this out by copying and pasting the big word into 'Google' and up comes a Dictionary or Wikipedia.

One useful word I use regularly which I should define is; substantive

This describes the quality of feelings and sensations. They are substantive but not substantial. Substantial is of the matter, the table is substantial. The feeling of love is substantive. Substantive describes the psychic quality of existence as perceived through the body.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.

KPO

Post by KPO » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Thank you Natalie and Mouse for responding.

For me Its not so much the meaning of individual words that are the problem, but rather the use of a particular word or words in a particular sentence. In other words the complicated nature of the sentence or paragraph. I think writers should always ask themselves whether their intended meaning is clear to others; rather than how seemingly clever their wording.

enigma

Post by enigma » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:22 am

I find that most peeps here are pretty good at writing in a clear, down to Earth way, unless I'm one of those you're referring to, in which case.... never mind. Hehe.

The one who very often leaves me scratching my head is Mouse up there, but I'm not sure it's about trying to be clever. Sometimes people approach things from very different perspectives/teachings/experiences, and communication can be difficult, which is fine.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:08 am

I am doing fine and I am sure you are too.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.