Experiences of Samahdi

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Kutso

Experiences of Samahdi

Post by Kutso » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Hello everybody,

Recently I've been going in and out of Samahdi from time to time. And I wanted to share my experience with you all, and perhaps if you have any questions I could answer them.

I've understood the concepts of Advaita Vedanta for a long time, and I've seen that the concepts points to an absolute truth. However, there has always been a sense of not getting it totally. This sense disappeared about a week and a half ago.

The first time it "happened" I had been pondering something that Greg Goode said in a video that I watched at http://www.conscious.tv . I say "happened", because for me it doesn't really seem like anything happened.
Anyway, what Greg said was something like: "Where is the border between what is seen and who you are? Where does, what the senses experience, end and you begin?"

So I had been pondering that for two days, and I was a the gym working out. I had just been working on my biceps, when all of a sudden the question came up again. Where does the world stop and "I" begin? When this thought arose, suddenly it was realized that there is no border! I was the world, and the world was me and in me. With this "happening" was also an understanding that this has always been the case. It was so simple that I couldn't understand how I could have missed it all these years. With it came an enormous joy. The joy was so strong that I had to contain myself really hard not to laugh out really loud. There was a big smile on my face.

This has happened quite a few times after that. And since then there has always been a sense of peace underneath it all. A sense like "Everything is allright. Everything is as it supposed to be. There is nothing to be afraid of". There is also a sense of the world being not that important. Almost as if it were transparent.
I talked to Ananda about it the other day, and he explained to me that in Advaita, what I experienced is what is called Nirvikalpa Samadhi. An emergence into the self in such a way that the distinction of knower, act of knowing, and object known becomes dissolved.

Anyway, I just wanted to share it with you all and show you that there is hope for you all. Keep at it and this understanding will come to you as well.

Namaste
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

Webwanderer

Re: Experiences of Samahdi

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks for sharing Kutso. Congrats on the realization.

WW

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, K

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:10 pm

Kutso wrote:I just wanted to share it with you all and show you that there is hope for you all. Keep at it and this understanding will come to you as well.
Inspiring! Thank you so much and I'm so happy for you (whomever "I" am, hee hee). Each day this board gives me a shot of determination. :)

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks guys! It is all really simple. That's the most surprising part. :)

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:53 pm

But when they say it, when the teacher says 'It's so simple, so obvious that you will laugh!' at the time you don't think that, do you? At the time you think 'oh, he's just saying that' or 'oh, she says that now, but I bet she struggled for so long!'.

Hehe.

Right in front of your eyes.

:)

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Ananda wrote:But when they say it, when the teacher says 'It's so simple, so obvious that you will laugh!' at the time you don't think that, do you? At the time you think 'oh, he's just saying that' or 'oh, she says that now, but I bet she struggled for so long!'.
Hahaha!!! That's exactly how it is, yes. :)

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 am

Very neat Kutso. Thank you for explaining it so well, and for sharing it.

Natalie

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 am

This is the kind of post I love reading.
It is all really simple. That's the most surprising part.
I agree.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:17 am

Thanks for sharing this Kutso. It turned out to be a good day to target biceps I guess. :)
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 am

random guy:
It turned out to be a good day to target biceps I guess
:lol:

rodriguez_88

Post by rodriguez_88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:58 am

randomguy wrote:Thanks for sharing this Kutso. It turned out to be a good day to target biceps I guess. :)

:lol:

mmy

Post by mmy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks for sharing Kutso. I have a question. Greg Goode talks about the collapse of the witness and I have experienced that, especially when I'm running. It feels like a merging together of what I see/feel with the constant unshakable knowing of what I am. It is such peace that words are inadequate. Do you notice witnessing anymore? Or experience form differently?

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 am

mmy wrote:Greg Goode talks about the collapse of the witness and I have experienced that, especially when I'm running. It feels like a merging together of what I see/feel with the constant unshakable knowing of what I am. It is such peace that words are inadequate
This is my experience as well.
mmy wrote:Do you notice witnessing anymore?
There is witnessing. However, there's not a separate entity witnessing anymore. The witnessing is instead witnessing and witnessed at the same time, without any distinctions.
mmy wrote:Or experience form differently?
Yes, and no. :) I mean, everything is still the same, yet somehow different. The forms are still there, but they don't seem that solid anymore.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Kutso wrote:
Where does the world stop and "I" begin? When this thought arose, suddenly it was realized that there is no border!
..but we live in a world of borders. The seeing of there is no borders is one thing and the living in the world of borders is another.
So my question to you is how do you live in a world of borders (separation) when the seeing of there are no borders is clear ?
I was the world, and the world was me and in me.
.. but you live in it as a separate entity with borders, do you not ?

You may say that Kutso lives in the world of borders (separation) but the seeing is clear that I am not Kutso,so you just play in it and not take it seriously but , I wonder, is this how you live now ? Can you please say a few more words on the realization you had in the gym that changed how you see the world today.

Thanks.

P.S. By the way, is working on your biceps at a gym a prerequisite ? :)