Projection

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
the key master
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Projection

Post by the key master » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Hello boys and girls. Today I would like to talk about projection. There are many different forms of projection, as well as many different explanations for why projection happens. The mechanics behind projection are the same for all of us. The reasons why projection happens on the other hand, differ. Put another way, the reasons are "personal" in nature, which could include the personal belief that one is impersonal awareness.

Other humans, or human relationships generally, form an excellent avenue allowing projection to occur. If I could project onto the tree in the backyard to learn about subconscious beliefs, and whatever underlying emotional conflicts are being harbored by the thinking mind, I certainly would have given it a try. It just doesn't work that way. Its the emotional component of human interaction which allows unconscious beliefs to make themselves consciously known, if and only if the mind has been trained to weed out its unconscious tendencies. While you are not your mind, if you (the mind) are going to continue to make believe you are something separate, then do expect God to continually remind you that you actually aren't.

Starting with simplicity. You can inquire into behavioral tendencies now, but its important to recognize projection as its taking place, so that it can be inquired into, and the source uncovered. We've all experienced those lovely souls in life who thrive off of "everyone else's" misery. The emotional mess they have inside of them(repressed pain in the body and unconscious beliefs in the mind) gets projected outward. Rather than owning and understanding their emotional issues and unconscious arguments with reality, the mind prefers to make its emotional issues everyone else's. And depending on your own level of consciousness/presence/what have you, it just might work. When this type of mind(the projector) does project outward, and a subsequent emotional reaction is triggered in the "projectee's" mind and emotional body, the projector is unconsciously resolving their emotional body through seeing the pain which is yearning to be felt arise in someone else. This gives the mind an unconscious sense of emotional satisfaction, and is actually a form of release. However, since the mind is not resolving the unconscious forces which are bringing this energy into the body, the tendency to repress pain when it arises and subsequently project it outward will continue to manifest.

So-your projection is a surface level manifestation of a deeper underlying emotional conflict kept in place by the mind's tendency to repress energy when the mind believes that something which is happening or has happened should not be happening or should not have happened. This dynamic of course being perpetuated by the belief of being a separate self, and the unconscious desire to "protect little me emotionally". Moving forward from unconscious resolution to conscious understanding, the tendency to repress energy must be carefully examined. For the sake of simplicity, I am going to speak only on repressed energy here, and will dive into self seeking and new emotional energy in a later response.

Whenever a certain set of stimulus "reminds" the mind of past pain or an old emotional conflict, the energy repressed(in addition to new energy brought in through self seeking) in the body has a gateway for expression. The mind's uncontrollable interpretation opens the gate for the energy to come out, but as the mind is still conflicted unconsciously as to how this energy came into the body in the first place(self seeking put aside), the false belief of being a separate self who still believes a certain something should not have happened is unconsciously triggered.

Therefore, whenever the mind believes that something which is happening should not be happening, go to the body. Allow attention to drop away from thinking and unconscious reaction/coping, and check if there is an emotional uprising in the body. Observe that emotion, and notice how that energy, and mind's resistance to it, actually gives it the power that no emotion has a right to. Be with that emotion, that energy. Invite it. If you are going to allow the mind to unconsciously avoid certain feelings, then you will remain unable to consciously resolve the emotional body, because the ability to feel repressed energy in the form of pain will remain too deeply entrenched. You might be able to remember certain conflicts from past, you might even think you've resolved them, but if there is still a tendency to repress energy, life is letting you know you still got some work to do.

So, without diving any further, emotional regression business put aside, it is the TENDENCY TO REPRESS ENERGY which must be uprooted. Its time to turn any should not be happening thoughts and reactions into should be happening thoughts and reactions. This is supposed to be happening because it is happening. I'm supposed to be feeling this because I am feeling this. I want this anxiety because I feel this anxiety. Only when the mind becomes more willing to feel ALL FEELINGS, can understanding the source issues of projection truly bear fruit.

I have a lot more to write. I will get into the different forms of projection, and what to look for. We will talk about desire, and how the mind unconsciously projects repressed energy through desire as a means of unconscious resolution. Then we will also look at how the mind unconsciously avoids certain desires based on the fear of past pains repeating. This is a more subtle form of projection. Really this thread is about consciously resolving the emotional body by understanding unconscious resolution.

K cya soon!

User avatar
heidi
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 am
Location: 42nd parallel, Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Re: Projection

Post by heidi » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Only when the mind becomes more willing to feel ALL FEELINGS, can understanding the source issues of projection truly bear fruit.
And that, my friend is the real secret! :D
Thanks for that Mr. Key Master.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

the key master
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Projection

Post by the key master » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 pm

You're right Heidi, that is the real secret. :)

You've likely noticed that this post is about understanding the psychological mind, and how certain dynamics of thinking can reveal unconscious beliefs. The mind, and more pointedly the mind identified, likely possess some implicit reservations about exploring this subject, because you are in a sense exposing your own pre motivated, uncontrollable, and unconscious thoughts and behaviors, thoughts and reactions the mind has programmed to occur because it actually wants them to occur. So if this is something that interests you, it is the truth of who you are that brings this interest to the table. You know enlightenment is not another notch on the proverbial belt, and that understanding unconscious self interest is one way to take the mind to a deeper understanding of that which was never real to begin with, ie, the person or mind you 'believe' yourself to be.

Along these lines, its important for ego to own itself. Certainly ego is never anything more than a stream of thought, but when there is identification with that thought, talking about "some other ego that isn't me" leads to a split mind, and the corresponding tendency to bypass understanding unconscious behavior.

Mind is capable of projecting all sorts of beliefs and emotional conflicts, from the mental understanding of what's real and what isn't, to emotional conflicts stemming from the story of separate self. Starting with simplicity: This forum is an excellent place to watch projection take place, especially for those of us who come here in an "advisory role". Often times advice is given based on an intuitive recognition or understanding of what the "other" is thinking and going through. Words and advice are shared with the other with the ultimate aim, hopefully, to show the other that they are not and never could be separate, that reality is timeless and unthinkable, that awareness is ever present and all pervading, that life and love are not two but one. So I invite you to take a look at some of your recent posts, and see if your own mind is trying to tell you something.

One trigger for projection is when a mental interpretation of timeless reality "reminds" the mind of an existing conflict. Put another way, anytime you take something personally. If you are talking smack on someone, the smack you are talking has more to do with you than anyone else. If you feel the "need to react" to something someone says, take a look to see if you are identified with a viewpoint, with a thought or even your own understanding. Ask yourself, am I trying to understand this person, or am I more concerned with projecting my issues so they understand me? When someone comes at you from a personally identified viewpoint, perhaps at work or of course in any human relationship, understand where they're coming from. Understand they are unconscious. Understand they are delusional. If you truly understood where another was coming from you would also understand they are not separate from you. But how can you understand this without understanding yourself? How can you not react unconsciously when there is repressed energy in your body? How can you understand the garbage within others without first jumping into the dumpster yourself? Get honest about what's really going on.

Relationships are a great place to see projection taking place, although early morning dreams seem to be a solid avenue for mind to project unresolved issues which may be lingering. If something someone says or does makes you "emotionally uncomfortable", the tendency to avoid this discomfort must be recognized, faced, and discarded, because it is the avoidance which leads to repression and more unconscious projection. Handle situations as they are unfolding. Tell someone when they hurt your feelings, in a manner appropriate to the moment. The best way to grow a shitstorm of unconscious self interest is through repressing conflicts in a relationship. This apathetic mental tendency to avoid conflict is a sign of spiritual weakness and one which likewise must be understood. Why would you avoid or not want conflict? Because you are enlightened, or because your old thought patterns are being triggered? Why are you emotionally scared? Because you are scared of yourself emotionally, which only brings more emotional energy into the body, which only gives the mind that much more to fear.

If you are feeling emotional as you read this, look for a doorway for that emotion to express itself. That energy is only holding you back, and you are doing the world and yourself a disservice by allowing that energy to be unconsciously spewed outward. I am including your own suffering under the umbrella of "spewing". Did you think I actuallly like hurting your feelings? There is no need to hold on, but sometimes the time comes to let go. If you could stand face to face with your worst enemy right now, what would you say? If not I love you and forgive you then go suffer some more.

As you can see my organizational abilities are somewhat lacking. I tried to do a mini outline of what I was gonna write, but that just never seems to work out for me up until this point. Its very important to understand and notice the SELF SEEKING. Self seeking is like McDonalds, it seems really tasty on the way in, and well you know the rest. I'll write about that next.

User avatar
heidi
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 am
Location: 42nd parallel, Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Re: Projection

Post by heidi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Wow, Jason - thank you so much for sharing this, right here in the Tolle dumpster! :D
Paradoxically and not at all coincidentally, your writing is congruent with dealings in my personal life as I have been learning to allow everything in awareness - the muck along with everything else equally - and coming to understand the great power of the freedom of that. So, in a circular way, you have managed to do exactly what you are talking about! I truly appreciate your contribution here. :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

the key master
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Projection

Post by the key master » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks heidi. Its always nice to feel your presence...

runstrails
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2228
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Projection

Post by runstrails » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Jason,
Great stuff.

I would perhaps only very slightly disagree with this:
Keymaster said:
If you could stand face to face with your worst enemy right now, what would you say? If not I love you and forgive you then go suffer some more.
I would say, there is nothing to forgive, once the illusions (of selfhood) are understood for what they were.
'Forgiving' might add another layer of interpretation. Really, clear seeing is all that is needed. But I totally agree with the spirit of what you were saying here :D

Your posts are super helpful. Please keep 'em coming.

the key master
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Projection

Post by the key master » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 pm

How dare you disagree with me trails!!! :lol:
I would say, there is nothing to forgive, once the illusions (of selfhood) are understood for what they were.
Yes it is very important to understand the nature of illusion, as well as the nature of unconscious human behavior. As long as the emotional understanding is there no need to layer interpretation or more thinking. If the understanding isn't there, the mind will let you know it. Gonna do my self seeking post tomorrow see you guys then!

mmy
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Projection

Post by mmy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:58 am

Enjoying your great posts, the key master. Thanks for sharing.

It really comes down to owning my "stuff" and seeing what is really going on within myself first before I can respond rather than react to conflict. And sometimes that conflict is only within me. I think an unconscious reaction can move right into projections, narratives, and all kinds of mind identifications.

I've experienced projections from another angle as well. Understanding that just because I'm respectful or reliable or whatever does not necessarily mean that another is like that and can be a projection on my part. What I think of as positive, loving things can be projected onto another so I end up assuming they are like that when maybe they are not.

the key master
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Projection

Post by the key master » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Self seeking is a dynamic of thinking which brings emotional energy into the body. Basicly, the mind creates a fragmented image of self in the dimension of thought with the "intent to be" that image. Once that intent is there, which is creative, the mind then strives to be what it could never possibly be, a fragmented image of self existing in the land of the make believe. The intent leads to striving, and the striving leads to emotional energy coming into the body.

So, to start with, whatever image of self is being strived for must be noticed, because without that noticing, how can understanding take place? And without understanding, where is the transcendance? There isn't any, because ignoring truth takes precedent to living in fidelity to.

In terms of discovering and understanding self seeking, take a look at your desires. If the variable of "what I want to get out of life" is underlying any mental program, this variable will eventually, if not immediately, lead to self seeking, because desire is being utilized by mind under the pretenses or belief of being a separate self, and it is this belief which gives the mind and body "food for thought". The fragmented dimension of thinking is being utilized as a place to find an identity, so mind identification is apparent, as well as the repurcussions that come along with it, ie, fear and suffering.

Typically this is when self seeking is most easily noticed. Because who wants to be scared or suffer? At this point, emotional energy has already been brought into the body, so the corresponding fears which results from this influx must then be noticed, faced, and understood. Old thought patterns laced with fear stemming from whatever conditioning mind has been conditioned by, project the "absorbed" energy from the body through thinking grounded in fear and control. Once this projection is noticed, it too can be understood as merely old habits re-emerging due to mind's failure to surrender the belief, or perhaps more pointedly delusion, of being a separate self.

Repressed energy stemming from unresolved emotional conflicts can add a turbo booster to self seeking. Put another way, the tendency to, and repurcussions of, self seeking goes up exponentially when old energy is still repressed in the body. So, if you truly want to stop self seeking, if you truly want to live fearlessly, its time to look backward and understand what exactly you are fearing. You can't understand your fears unless you first try to understand, and you can't trascend fear unless you understand what it is you are seeking to transcend. Of course awareness already transcends fear, but becoming aware and noticing is that which allows understanding and transcendance to occur.

In terms of transcending self seeking altogether: Ideally, oohh scary word, regression and understanding repression from past takes place. Speaking with a counselor, someone you trust, or a "true listener" can open an avenue for understanding to unfold more rapidly. Put another way, you might think you know where repressed energy is coming from, but you might not be looking from a bird's eye view. Go, open up to someone, and project all over them. Ideally, someone who understands projection and won't mind giving it a looksey. I'd be more than happy to be that listener for anyone reading this post.

Regression and repression aside, the tendency to self seek can indeed still linger within the thought patterns of the thinking mind. The unconscious belief that there is an "other" that is separate from you necessitates self seeking, because it encourages thinking grounded in separation with the intent to be such thinking. Put another way, if there is any "other" you do not love as yourself, or any "other" you think you "need" or is "separate", unconscious forces are already in place allowing the intent to be separate to cause emotional energy to percolate into the body thus allowing projection of fear over desire. This projection of fear leads to striving as unconscious beliefs make themselves known. These unconscious beliefs, the underlying fuel for the fire of self seeking, must be thoroughly understood, seen and exposed for the delusions that they are.

So, self seeking is a cyclical dynamic which fizzles out over time as beliefs are seen to be the foundation of egoic structure, granted of course the desire/willingness to understand self seeking is apparent in a given mind. By belief, I mean emotional belief, an emotionally significant belief, and not a trivial belief, like, um, there is a human form typing these words in the world of appearances. An emotionally significant belief would be that I actually am this human form.

Questions comments elaborations?

snowheight
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:56 pm

Re: Projection

Post by snowheight » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:52 am

Well presented sir -- the first free-associative reaction to this was a contemplation of how literally convoluted the brain is followed by a brief instant of despair. :lol:

The simplicity, however, of ruthlessly accepting ... nay, even WELCOMING pain as a reminder of how thin the veil actually is offer's on "out", so to speak. That, of course, has it's own obvious pitfalls, if seized by the false self, in the form of self-destructive behavior.

Do you see a role for "healthy ego" in the process for those working through such issues of repression who may have trouble remaining awake during the work?
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

the key master
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Projection

Post by the key master » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Well presented sir -- the first free-associative reaction to this was a contemplation of how literally convoluted the brain is followed by a brief instant of despair.
Haha. Yes laying out the basic dynamics of certain thought patterns which enforce the illusion of separation allows the mind to expose itself for the fraudulent entity its pretending to be. This isn't something the mind is going to "like" necessarily. In all likelihood it will implicity dislike such contemplation because its as much about facing fear as anything else. Without the desire to understand fear, or from the other angle the fear of ignoring fear, the "work" will likely be bypassed for more self seeking and personal reaction.
The simplicity, however, of ruthlessly accepting ... nay, even WELCOMING pain as a reminder of how thin the veil actually is offer's on "out", so to speak. That, of course, has it's own obvious pitfalls, if seized by the false self, in the form of self-destructive behavior.
Yes welcoming, but also understanding. Understanding new pain and how its related to old pain and more pointedly beliefs which are yet to be seen through.
Do you see a role for "healthy ego" in the process for those working through such issues of repression who may have trouble remaining awake during the work?
Do I see a role for a healthy ego? Well you are your ego. And if understanding repression is something that interests you, then you are a healthier ego than most. If there was an ultimate aim here, I guess it would be to end mind identification(which is typically included under the definition of ego). So the goal is to destroy the ego, or more gently, to see through the belief of being a separate self.

In terms of "remaining awake during the work". What you are is always awake, timelessly aware, ever presently present. You can't not remain awake during the work, because you are awakeness itself. The ego, the voice in the head which the human form sometimes types and even utters out loud, can resist the work because of the fears which are implicit to it. This resistance itself would stem from the false belief of being a separate self, and could likewise be understood. The less entrenched that belief is, particularly on the "emotional level"(intellectually most on this forum seem to have a grip on this much), the easier the work becomes. The cause is Truth, and never anything but.

rlee
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 am

Re: Projection

Post by rlee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 pm

This is going to be a long post, but this is such a great thread that I want to make sure that I understand you correctly. This is exactly what I'm dealing with now, trying to understand present day thought patterns and actions and their relation to repressed emotions. Since childhood I've always been a repressor. It seems that a lot of present day thought patterns are a result of childhood conditioning and the repression that resulted because of that conditioning. This intricate web of "self" runs deep! (not that there actually is a self, but you know what I mean)

And by all means, please do call me out if I am off track or if you see me projecting in this post. I'm not looking for ego-gratification. Any and all pointers would be appreciated.
the key master wrote:So, without diving any further, emotional regression business put aside, it is the TENDENCY TO REPRESS ENERGY which must be uprooted. Its time to turn any should not be happening thoughts and reactions into should be happening thoughts and reactions. This is supposed to be happening because it is happening. I'm supposed to be feeling this because I am feeling this. I want this anxiety because I feel this anxiety. Only when the mind becomes more willing to feel ALL FEELINGS, can understanding the source issues of projection truly bear fruit.
Okay, so let's say I'm in a social situation where I feel anxious, which is often the case. I don't understand how being willing to feel those emotions would help me understand the source of those issues.
the key master wrote:This forum is an excellent place to watch projection take place, especially for those of us who come here in an "advisory role". Often times advice is given based on an intuitive recognition or understanding of what the "other" is thinking and going through.
It seems that you are saying that we see ourselves in others. Or that we recognize certain aspects that are "personal" to us and that is why we give advice.

What I've found on most spiritual forums is that people typically tend to post because they want to show off their spiritual knowledge or build themselves up in some way (I have been guilty of this myself), and not necessarily because they recognize themselves in the other.
the key master wrote:This apathetic mental tendency to avoid conflict is a sign of spiritual weakness and one which likewise must be understood. Why would you avoid or not want conflict? Because you are enlightened, or because your old thought patterns are being triggered? Why are you emotionally scared? Because you are scared of yourself emotionally, which only brings more emotional energy into the body, which only gives the mind that much more to fear.
This really resonated with me. I often find that I don't speak my mind simply because I want to avoid conflict. In other words, there is fear. Fear of being humiliated, fear of being wrong, fear of making myself vulnerable to attack. In times where I avoid conflict out of fear, I often find myself beating myself up for not standing up for myself. I think that this fear is a result of conditioning stemming from childhood but I'm not sure.
the key master wrote:If you are feeling emotional as you read this, look for a doorway for that emotion to express itself. That energy is only holding you back, and you are doing the world and yourself a disservice by allowing that energy to be unconsciously spewed outward. I am including your own suffering under the umbrella of "spewing". Did you think I actuallly like hurting your feelings? There is no need to hold on, but sometimes the time comes to let go. If you could stand face to face with your worst enemy right now, what would you say? If not I love you and forgive you then go suffer some more.
What do you mean by "go suffer some more"?
the key master wrote:So, to start with, whatever image of self is being strived for must be noticed, because without that noticing, how can understanding take place? And without understanding, where is the transcendance?
So that it's it, just understanding the reason why we project? And do you think that most often that this projection would be because of conditioning and repressed emotional energy?
the key master wrote:Once this projection is noticed, it too can be understood as merely old habits re-emerging due to mind's failure to surrender the belief, or perhaps more pointedly delusion, of being a separate self.
Jason, this is a big belief to surrender. Unless the self has been seen to be nonexistent firsthand, how can that belief be surrendered? Even if self-hood has been seen through, the belief in self doesn't fall away.
the key master wrote:Repressed energy stemming from unresolved emotional conflicts can add a turbo booster to self seeking. Put another way, the tendency to, and repurcussions of, self seeking goes up exponentially when old energy is still repressed in the body. So, if you truly want to stop self seeking, if you truly want to live fearlessly, its time to look backward and understand what exactly you are fearing. You can't understand your fears unless you first try to understand, and you can't trascend fear unless you understand what it is you are seeking to transcend.
Does this mean to look into your past such as childhood and past life experience?
the key master wrote:These unconscious beliefs, the underlying fuel for the fire of self seeking, must be thoroughly understood, seen and exposed for the delusions that they are.
Are there any other beliefs besides the belief in being a separate self?
the key master wrote:So, self seeking is a cyclical dynamic which fizzles out over time as beliefs are seen to be the foundation of egoic structure, granted of course the desire/willingness to understand self seeking is apparent in a given mind. By belief, I mean emotional belief, an emotionally significant belief, and not a trivial belief, like, um, there is a human form typing these words in the world of appearances. An emotionally significant belief would be that I actually am this human form.
Again, that seems like a huge belief to tackle. The belief in being a separate self. I guess I don't understand how the belief that I am this human form would be considered an emotionally significant belief. How is the belief that I am this human form emotionally charged?

You talk a lot about projecting outward. What about when we project onto ourselves? Things like regret and guilt.

the key master
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Projection

Post by the key master » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 am

Okay, so let's say I'm in a social situation where I feel anxious, which is often the case. I don't understand how being willing to feel those emotions would help me understand the source of those issues.
Take a look at what "not being willing to feel those emotions" actually does to your experience. In all likelihood, its causing more of the "unwanted feelings" to arise and be layered on top of the already existing energy. By opening up to these feelings, by feeling them fully, they lose their power over you. The whole what you resist persists thing.

The "tendency to repress" is what must be uprooted. As you open up to the entire spectrum of emotion, the tendency for mind to repress emotional energy into the body will dissipate, which will likewise end, hopefully at some point hehe, the tendency to project which is likely where the anxiety is coming from in the first place. It is the "should not be happening" thoughts which must be understood, which can only happen when the "should not be happening" emotions are allowed to arise.
What I've found on most spiritual forums is that people typically tend to post because they want to show off their spiritual knowledge or build themselves up in some way (I have been guilty of this myself), and not necessarily because they recognize themselves in the other.

I concur with this. This could be looked at as another form of projection, the projection of "my understanding onto you".
This really resonated with me. I often find that I don't speak my mind simply because I want to avoid conflict. In other words, there is fear. Fear of being humiliated, fear of being wrong, fear of making myself vulnerable to attack. In times where I avoid conflict out of fear, I often find myself beating myself up for not standing up for myself. I think that this fear is a result of conditioning stemming from childhood but I'm not sure.
Yes could be. I find with fear, we tend to repeat what we don't understand. Meaning you will remain powerless over it until you figure out where its coming from. I find fear of emotional pain seems to be a big one too.
What do you mean by "go suffer some more"?
The issue is one of forgiveness. If "I" still resent "you" for some perceived wrong that "you" did to "me", there is clearly not an emotional understanding of nothing separate right? Thus the emotional belief of being something separate is apparent, which will likewise lead to fragmented interpretation everytime mind is exposed to some external stimulus which remind the mind of the existing conflict. Repressed energy may arise from this pre-existing conflict, which could likewise cause projection onto "others", or even onto the image of oneself, through anxiety or otherwise.

So, the unwillingness to forgive, understand, and resolve, can only lead to more suffering. My intent was to point one to forgiveness, and away from suffering.
And do you think that most often that this projection would be because of conditioning and repressed emotional energy?
Yah repressed energy and projection are intertwined. I'm not entirely sure if projection can occur without repressed energy in the body. Let me get back to you on that.
Jason, this is a big belief to surrender. Unless the self has been seen to be nonexistent firsthand, how can that belief be surrendered?
It probably points closer to say the belief is seen through. The psychological structures stemming from this belief in being a certain someone can't go bye bye overnight. It would be too much of a shock to the system. Life takes care of these things, and at just the right pace for all of us.
Does this mean to look into your past such as childhood and past life experience?
Yes. Past life experience, ah well, probably not, but who knows. Seemingly "your life" experience can possess the potential to release lifetimes of karma.
Are there any other beliefs besides the belief in being a separate self?
Well theyre all grounded in the belief of being a separate self, but the texture of belief can vary. I need this or that to be happy would be an example of a belief worth examining. He/she did this or that to me, the same. This or that shouldnt have happened. All of these could be considered unconscious beliefs, because they are grounded in illusion.
Again, that seems like a huge belief to tackle. The belief in being a separate self. I guess I don't understand how the belief that I am this human form would be considered an emotionally significant belief. How is the belief that I am this human form emotionally charged?
Well, if someone hurts your feelings, the belief of being a separate self is made known. Thus, it is "emotionally charged". Almost paradoxically, the willingness to feel all emotions fully here and now allows the belief of being a separate self, and all the emotional complications which come along with it, to be seen through.
You talk a lot about projecting outward. What about when we project onto ourselves? Things like regret and guilt.
Yea, that's really the self inflicted suffering. These issues can also be understood. Typically there is some form of emotional conflict from past that causes such projection. Put another way, there is pain in the body yearning to be felt, and this is how mind deals with it.

rlee
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 am

Re: Projection

Post by rlee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:14 am

Thanks for the elaborate response dude, I'm beginning to understand this more.
the key master wrote:
What do you mean by "go suffer some more"?
The issue is one of forgiveness. If "I" still resent "you" for some perceived wrong that "you" did to "me", there is clearly not an emotional understanding of nothing separate right? Thus the emotional belief of being something separate is apparent, which will likewise lead to fragmented interpretation everytime mind is exposed to some external stimulus which remind the mind of the existing conflict. Repressed energy may arise from this pre-existing conflict, which could likewise cause projection onto "others", or even onto the image of oneself, through anxiety or otherwise.

So, the unwillingness to forgive, understand, and resolve, can only lead to more suffering. My intent was to point one to forgiveness, and away from suffering.
I figured that forgiveness would be a big part of this. Forgiveness, though, may not come easy. One of the things I've been doing lately is trying to get into other people's heads. Knowing that there actually isn't a self there, "they" can't actually be responsible for the things they do and say to us. So I feel that understanding why they say and do the things they do can lead to forgiveness. Perhaps remembering that there is no self in them either is enough. I don't know, I'm going to play around with this some more.
the key master wrote:
You talk a lot about projecting outward. What about when we project onto ourselves? Things like regret and guilt.
Yea, that's really the self inflicted suffering. These issues can also be understood. Typically there is some form of emotional conflict from past that causes such projection. Put another way, there is pain in the body yearning to be felt, and this is how mind deals with it.
Okay, so if there is repressed pain, and the key is to allow all emotions to be felt (so that they eventually lose their stronghold), then I wonder if it's just a matter of allowing the emotions that arise due to our own perceptions about ourself to be felt. Or can that emotional conflict be dug out using other methods such as writing or talking about those past experiences? I guess that I can play around with this as well.

enigma
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Projection

Post by enigma » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:50 am

So that it's it, just understanding the reason why we project? And do you think that most often that this projection would be because of conditioning and repressed emotional energy?
It's not necessary to understand the reasons for a projection as such. Just realizing you are projecting ends it. Projections are, by definition, unconscious. They are the perception that what is being denied in the self is actually appearing in others. If you were consciously aware that this quality is in yourself, there would be no denial and no tendency to unconsciously perceive it in others. Projections are automatically withdrawn simply by seeing that they are projections.

Post Reply