The Nature of the Mind: Where is the Free Will?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Webwanderer

Re: The Nature of the Mind: Where is the Free Will?

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:07 pm

arel wrote:
runstrails wrote:Free will implies a 'doer' and predestination suggests a 'future'. Both are concepts really.
Yes, I agree, only concepts. So I would say there is a doer. The only thing that that doer does is it awares. It does nothing else. Now I'm not sure that by that doing everything else is not done. Seems to me like it is. :)
When it comes down to it, everything is a concept. There are no words ever expressed on this forum that was not, and is not, a concept. It's a large part of how we communicate. The doer is the creator of concepts for the consideration of other doers. I do not suggest the doers are inherently separate.

WW

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:25 pm

Webwanderer wrote: When it comes down to it, everything is a concept. There are no words ever expressed on this forum that was not, and is not, a concept. It's a large part of how we communicate.
WW,

Thanks for saying that -- I'll express no disagreement ... I'd like to add though, that some concepts can point to the non-conceptual.

From there, I'd like to speak from experience and express what is perhaps an opinion: whether or not a particular concept is a pointer or not can often depend on the specific perspective and is not even static within the perspective.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 am

snowheight wrote:Thanks for saying that -- I'll express no disagreement ... I'd like to add though, that some concepts can point to the non-conceptual.
Indeed they can Snow. In fact most of them purport to do so. In a sense, most all of the concepts intended to point point somewhere in consciousness, whether it be to a truth or an imagining. It is incumbent upon the explorer to decide what adds value and clarity, no matter what the source, to their perspective of life.

WW

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:48 am

It is only when words and the mind arrive that there are concepts. Getting punched hard in the face is an experience, not a concept. So is an orgasm. The experience of awakening is non-mental, as is just its first stage which Rupert Spira refers to as "recognition." "A spiritual experience" is just that, an experience, not a concept.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:27 am

Sighclone wrote:Getting punched hard in the face is an experience, not a concept. So is an orgasm.
:shock: :D

You see now right there! Right there! ... that's a conceptual truth that will find no argument from this mind ... no argument no contradiction ... no contradiction no possibility of paradox ... to this mind that is a pointer.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:25 am

We have to believe in free-will, we have no choice. :) :(

... and BTW, Half the lies they tell about me are true!