Subtle sound in the head

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
hanss

Subtle sound in the head

Post by hanss » Thu May 26, 2011 9:44 pm

I wonder if anyone have knowledge or can guide me further. The sound in the head started a couple of weeks ago (or did I just start to notice it?). Not loud, not unpleasant. Very high frequency. Not a lower frequency vibration like the inner body "buzzing", just a sound. It's not a problem, just curious about it. The sound dissapears when thoughts come. I can put focus on it when ever I want to (in quiet places and surroundings) and thoughts dissapear. Do you remember the old tv's? They had a sound like that if the tv was turtned on and no channel choosen.
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

kiki

Re: Subtle sound in the head

Post by kiki » Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 pm

I've had what sounds like this for years. It's most noticeable when there are no thoughts. I wouldn't worry about it.
I can put focus on it when ever I want to (in quiet places and surroundings) and thoughts dissapear.
You've got yourself a little portal to presence using this. You might want to sit quietly with eyes closed and just let attention rest there, without trying to do anything with it. I do this myself sometimes - it's very pleasant.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Riken

Post by Riken » Fri May 27, 2011 12:45 am

That's so weird, I get exactly the same thing!

I come to a certain point in self-inquiry whereby I've negated objects like the body and mind, eventually coming to a sense of nothingness whereby the mind is completely blank and there is just this buzzing that gets louder as the mind gets quieter... and this is where I get 'stuck'.

I thought it was tinnitus at first but I'm not so sure now.
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players"

RCharles

Post by RCharles » Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 am

Hi Hanss,

I have had that sound for some years now when I meditate. Not too long ago it grew louder, so I inquired of a swami and another awakened master what they thought of it. Both independently said it was probably kundalini energy. Both also recommended being sure to meditate with the spine erect so the energy flows up and down the spine without hindrance, and they said if it gets quite loud to find an outlet for it. I do that by releasing it as love for all that exits from my heart and goes out to all beings.

There are some causes for concern, according to these sources, if you don't find a positive outlet for it. You might want to read up on kundalini and what to do with it on the web.

As Kiki said, it makes a nice thing to focus on to quickly enter presence.

Chuck
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Fri May 27, 2011 4:50 am

Me too. It appeared about a year ago--when I was going through a pretty intense awakening phase. It was more obvious for a while (or perhaps I just noticed it more). More recently, I had forgotten all about it, till I read this post!

On a more medical note regarding tinnitus: If its binaural (i.e, in the center of your head)--it probably fine, if it localizes to one ear, then you should get it checked.

hanss

Post by hanss » Fri May 27, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you for answers. Little Me has now labeled it as a very good thing. :)
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

hanss

Post by hanss » Fri May 27, 2011 10:33 am

RCharles wrote:There are some causes for concern, according to these sources, if you don't find a positive outlet for it. You might want to read up on kundalini and what to do with it on the web. Chuck
Yes, thank you for the reminder. I have heard this before. This is not something to play around with. After this experience I got very humble: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... d98#p60198
(Eckhart Tolle)