Can someone help me on the way?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
far_eastofwest

Re: Can someone help me on the way?

Post by far_eastofwest » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Did something happen/change in your life 3 years ago? I am not asking so you can respond on a forum, just think about it to yourself. If you get to a point where you are over it or thinking of suicide you are best to see a proper trained counsellor.

Now is important but the past did happen.... sometimes its good to go over it so to let it go.

Perhaps you are simply bored? No wood to collect for fire, no candles to light, no walking to the villiage for food, no mending your own clothes, no horses to care for if you are lucky enough to have transport. Modern life...

I find doing stuff is always more fun that doing nothing. I would rather make a cake than buy one. I used to say when feeling down "only got a few moments for depression then i have other stuff to do".
I have always kept busy with lots of interests, be it pulling apart the laptop thats been dropped, learning to html code, having babies, riding horses, breeding fancy mice (not a good idea).
Not enough hours in a day to do all the things I enjoy. Mind you, I have sore back today, tried Planking, keeping up with my teenager, not a good idea when you are about to have your 50th birthday (on the edge of the couch, safety first of course). Kids all had a great laugh anyway.

Try a few different things on a physical level too, I note in this forum it is very much focused on the spiritual side, which is good, but the outer housing of your spirit must be fed properly too or you will not function well, gluten free is good for starters. You may sit there and think "three years ago I stopped living at home and eating my mothers good meals". (its just an example but sometimes the simplest things are the answer).

I didn't read Eckharts books because I wanted a change or better life but because my 80yo mum gives them to me. Did impress me though, one line in the books mainly. When in company of others who say negative stuff, imagine being transparent and it goes right through you. I square my shoulders and envisage that because it is generally Other people who disrupt my harmony, never worried about money, jobs, having stuff too much, only things that upset me is people being nasty to me. Not anymore. Thankyou Eckhart.

I do the here and now, but if I start thinking negative thoughts about past stuff I put a time limit, 10 - 15 minutes. I find this is better than trying to suppress them, they keep popping up otherwise, very annoying and can take away hours of space where I could be in the moment. I focus on them fully, sometimes I even sit at the computer and write all the thought out. Funnily in the morning when I go to delete them I realise they were not really very important and the ones I have written down tend not to come back for a second time.

If you enjoy Eckharts works practise them if you wish, but there is no reason you have to do it 100% to have a good effect. Like following a diet, cutting out all the fattening foods gives best results, but cutting back half still does wonders.

Good luck with your future, you are such a young man with so much ahead, more humps no doubt, life doesn't give you a smooth road.
This is a lovely forum and so many caring people from all walks of life.
There is nothing harder to find than a black cat in a dark room
Especially when there is no cat....

heidi

Post by heidi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Thank you, Dora, for that big post full of big love. :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Fear the Emptiness

When you first awaken to the emptiness at the heart of existence, you tend to experience it as vast, radiant, silent, and infused with love. But as the fullness and richness of the experience fades, the ego may turn it into an intimidating absence of meaning and identity, a groundless abyss through which it's terrified of falling endlessly and without support. People who were inadequately nurtured and held as infants may project onto this emptiness the desolation and isolation they endured when they were young and helpless, and those who were abused may view emptiness as potentially invasive and engulfing. In essence, the ego is onced again frightened of dying and losing control, even though at another level it longs for its dissolution in the vast ocean of being. (Otherwise, why would you pursue awakening in the first place?)

My friend Suzanne Segal had a profound dropping away of the separate sense of self, which was followed by years of terror in the face of the absence she encountered whenever she tried to locate herself. Finally, she met Jean Klein, who told her to simply give up this habit of trying to locate a self inside. When she followed his instructions, the emptiness of no self gradually flowered in the fullness of the realization that everything was her very own Self.

In other words, you need to stop peering into the void from the detached perspective of the mind and instead allow the mind to dissolve into the void and peer out at the world as the void encountering itself. Emptiness is what you are; it is not an object of your perception. This shift inevitably releases the fear and brings deep peace and relaxation of being.

Lose Your Way in the Wintertime of the Experience

After the initial awakening to the emptiness of self, life may suddenly lose its appeal and seem dry, flat and lifeless. 'What's the point?' you may wonder. 'It's all empty anyway.' You may find yourself disillusioned and dissatisfied, especially if you once harboured high expectations for a life of unending bliss and delight. Suzanne Segal, who spent years in this limbo of boredom and resignation, called it the 'wintertime' of the experience. HEre again, the mind reifies emptiness and determines that it's empty of meaning. The only antidote is to stop conceptualizing the void and keep dying into it as a vital reality until it blossoms as the source and essence of everything. (Needless to say, the void doesn't blossom; it already is the source and essence. What blossoms is your realization.'

Extract from 'Wake Up Now' By Stephan Bodian
That extract was particularly comforting to me, as it reassured me that there is nothing wrong with this emptiness, and that it will blossom; the way we peer into the emptiness from ego is not how it really is. It's alive really.

I can't recommend this book enough, guys. Eckhart is great, but as his awakening happened overnight, he doesn't really go through strategies that the ego will assume to try and put you back to sleep. Also 'The End of Your World' by Adyashanti is so comforting as he describes likely experiences after awakening, and the transition to full enlightenment, going through the mind strategies. Get it either on cd or as a book. I have it on my ipod and it's really helping me.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:14 pm

That's a good excerpt from Stephen Bodian. Thanks for posting it, xkatex.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Dora wrote:
(now, i can see someone jumping at me)
no worries ... just rest in your natural state (true being) and noone can touch you there ... not even yourself . :wink:

By the way .. great quote from Ramana.
"To say 'I am not the body' but 'I am the self' is still not correct. There is no thought of 'I' in true Being."

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:39 am

Dora wrote:
the difference between "being" and "knowing"...
knowing demands a knower. being doesn't.
WOW! beautifully put. Many thanks :D

autumnsphere

Post by autumnsphere » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:23 am

Ralph wrote:
Dora wrote:
(now, i can see someone jumping at me)
no worries ... just rest in your natural state (true being) and noone can touch you there ... not even yourself . :wink:
cool!

A little forwarding to what I experienced today.
Forget spiritual practice - just do drugs!

autumnsphere

Post by autumnsphere » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:05 am

Been thinking about this quote:
the key master wrote:Happiness is for children.
Reaching for happiness is for children. Being happy is a result of not reaching for happiness. And yes, children are happy, it's their (and our) natural state. :D

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:24 am

Yay girl love power - group hug anytime :D

Feel this song and see how love grows!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6aICBUIk3c
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:41 am

Being happy is a result of not reaching for happiness. And yes, children are happy, it's their (and our) natural state.
Take it a step further Dora... BE happi-ness, even less 'personal' but more powerful presence of being.
Nice post up there fareast.
far_eastofwest said: Good luck with your future, you are such a young man with so much ahead, more humps no doubt, life doesn't give you a smooth road.
Once you get over a few of those humps they kinda look smaller, and you know the mettle you're made of a little better. Can't believe I'm going to suggest my Granny's quote that I resisted for sooooo long - 'Your back was made for your burden (so get on with it).'
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

the key master

Post by the key master » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:57 am

The term happiness gets thrown around quite a bit. I was using the term in reference to a mind state brought about through a mental interpretation, something which is caused by something else, a mind state caused by an interpretation. Its not liking happiness that creates suffering so much as it is disliking sadness. The dislike of sadness comes from a deeper, more subtle, and often times unconscious fear of certain emotions. By stating happiness is for children, its a way of turning the seeking mind into the emotions which it might be avoiding. If you're gonna seek, you might as well seek what you're running from, which is highly effective with regard to collapsing the process of seeking, but also extremely counterintuitive and a road rarely travelled. I mean, who would want to seek what they don't want to seek if not nobody in particular?

The whole point of seeking isn't to put an end to seeking, but to maintain the illusion of "something" which could possibly obtain or find "something else", whether that be happiness, enlightenment, or woo woo mind states. These "somethings" can be looked at as boundaries which you yourself are creating, and they aren't really real except to the extent that you pretend that they are.

Pretending isn't a problem unless you find it to be a problem. If you know you're pretending then its not a big deal to anybody in particular. Its when you forget that you're pretending that all hell can break loose, which could only be a problem if you're a certain someone which you actually aren't.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:12 am

hmm but keymaster - being-ness (any 'ness' even 'is'ness) is different to seeking it in order to be it.
(for me) it's a merging with it, a oneness without role or separation. Available only in a state of acceptance, enjoyment or enthusiasm.

When I first read your mention of 'Happiness is for children' I kinda thought-went
- 'Yep, children are at one with happiness (or sadness, or any state) until they learn the 'rules' and the 'roles' that make enemy, obstacle, means to an end of a thing/person/situation and separate them.

the key master

Post by the key master » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:37 am

hmm but keymaster - being-ness (any 'ness' even 'is'ness) is different to seeking it in order to be it.
Right you can seek what you already are, there's just nothing to actually find. You can't remember what you are, you can simply stop forgetting.
it's a merging with it, a oneness without role or separation. Available only in a state of acceptance, enjoyment or enthusiasm.

Ok but the term merging implies a something which can merge into something else. Certainly mind states vascillate, so from that perspective, a state of resistance can end as a state of acceptance comes to fruition. But these are mind states, temporary and fleeting, while that which you are transcends any such transience. And if you are that which transcends and not that which can be transcended, who is there to resist and what, if not your own imagination?

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 am

okay but being is beyond merging.. (aaaccckckkk words!!)
you can simply stop forgetting.
Yes!!!
And children (in my take of your statement) haven't yet forgotten.

Wise parents heads up!

autumnsphere

Post by autumnsphere » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:03 am

the key master wrote:You can't remember what you are, you can simply stop forgetting.
Yum! I love your posts, you know that, right? o-------O-------o
I hope I'll have time to reply in a more serious manner tonite.

smiileyjen101 wrote:Yay girl love power - group hug anytime :D

Feel this song and see how love grows!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6aICBUIk3c
soooooooo beautiful!