Vegetarianism/reincarnation

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Nutkins2

Vegetarianism/reincarnation

Post by Nutkins2 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 am

Hi there,

At the moment, am reading Jesus and the Goddess which is about the first christians who were supposedly Gnostics. Reading it was very much like reading the Power of Now and a lot of Christs' teachings, Gnostics and Power of Now are totally similar.
It mentioned the gnostic christians being vegetarian. Do you feel that you have to be a vegetarian not to experience re-birth again?
I have tried many times to be one but fail everytime as i enjoy my burgers too much.
Can you be enlightened and be a meat eater?

Also it talks of this earth being hell and to be saved/enlightened means escaping hell and not coming back. It makes life sound so terrible, i mean why would you want to come back. In Conversations with God, reincarnation is considered a good thing, to experience life in all its' various aspects. Maybe it's a bit in between!!!

Godbless
Nutkins2

eurovillle_was_nice

Re: Vegetarianism/reincarnation

Post by eurovillle_was_nice » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:59 am

I´m gonna suppose you mean that...

also I´m gonna suppose your under 25, so eat your stake ´n burgers, you can use protein!

hanss

Post by hanss » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:07 pm

I would choose to keep eating my burgers and bacon over enlightenment 8)

Here is an interview with Ramana:
Ramana Maharshi on Sattvic Diet, Vegetarianism and Alcohol
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

Nutkins2

No I'm 44 years old

Post by Nutkins2 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi ya,

Itn't Maharshi saying that it is better to be a vegetarian?
By the way, euroville, i am 44!

Godbless and thanks for your replies
Nutkins2

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:45 pm

My take is that coming to the human experience is a choice. Being human offers opportunities in experience that are unique and useful to your greater being. Isolated experience, such as the egoic perspective and limited awareness, exposes the pros and cons what of choices we may make under differing conditions. It's an exercise in the law of cause and effect through physical experience.

What you eat may influence the way you feel physically, but it has little to do with the greater evolution of consciousness. That being said I gave up red meat 30 years ago. So maybe there is some value in the nutritional vibration of what we consume, and we are able to sense it if we pay close enough attention. Maybe that's why you are exploring the issue. You have a sense that your experience of being could be improved.

WW

arel

Post by arel » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Experiment with drinking more water and eating half of what you eat now. After about 2-3 weeks, pay attention to what it is you want when you feel hunger. At that point in my experience, there is no desire to eat meat, and I feel better when I don't. I sill eat fish, I believe because I don't eat enogh sea vegetation.

Also as ET said in PON I think, "reincarnation" is every time one gets lost in one's experience, and then returns back and then gets lost again.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

anewmirth

Post by anewmirth » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Tibetan Buddhists eat meat because you don't get a lot of crops that grow in cold mountainous regions. I'm veggie because I have the option to be and it's not hard to get by without killing animals and still get everything my body needs. Albert Einstein said "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet". It would be nice to see a debate between Albert and the Dalai Lama. From my highest perspective I don't judge people on this. I just know that it makes me feel good on a number of different levels.

I like the native American Indian attitude of having respect for what they kill which I think they tried to introduce to people in the film Avatar. In today's consumer society animals are treated so very badly on a massive scale. If you have the guts, watch a documentary on how your bacon and eggs or steak gets to your table sometime. If most people could see what goes on in a slaughterhouse, they might at least look more seriously at free range products. If an animal is under great stress when it dies some of that adrenaline and negative energy goes into your system.

The clearing of forests in places like Brazil to make way for more cattle which creates more methane in the atmosphere is also a sad by-product of taste buds over common sense. I think there's a balance to everything and if you upset the balance there is always a price to pay somehow. If you want karma free cooking, I think people need to be more conscious of where their product comes from.