The biggest missing part in Tolle's teachings

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
ashley72

Re: The biggest missing part in Tolle's teachings

Post by ashley72 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:14 am

unbornawakened wrote:where it was claimed that Vipassana meditation was the lost original teaching or method of the Buddha.
Sources or explanations will be both appreciated (thanks in advance).
Does any fact or claim about Vipassana meditation... "being the lost original teaching of Buddha"... bring you any closer to your true nature? No.

You could obtain a bag full of facts from all the best historians in the world and all it will do is take you further away from the truth. The mind would just swollen them all up and spit them back out.

Try and observe the mind's endless seeking tendency.... in a vain attempt to resolve the unresolvable. :D

anewmirth wrote:Image

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 am

My feedback to you is that seem to have a big "spiritual ego". That's what primarily comes across from your posts. You can keep preaching to this poster, but you are wasting your time. Perhaps other members will be more interested ... try with someone else :wink:
ashley72 wrote:
unbornawakened wrote:where it was claimed that Vipassana meditation was the lost original teaching or method of the Buddha.
Sources or explanations will be both appreciated (thanks in advance).
Does any fact or claim about Vipassana meditation... "being the lost original teaching of Buddha"... bring you any closer to your true nature? No.

You could obtain a bag full of facts from all the best historians in the world and all it will do is take you further away from the truth. The mind would just swollen them all up and spit them back out.

Try and observe the mind's endless seeking tendency.... in a vain attempt to resolve the unresolvable. :D

anewmirth wrote:Image

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:48 am

When you post on a public forum anything can happen... sometimes a big "spiritual ego" can blow in from nowhere and niggle you a bit. :D

mystic1715

Post by mystic1715 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:45 am

Here is a reference to the Anapanasati Sutta which gives the original instructions of the Buddha on breath meditation, along with commentary from a meditation master.

http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Talks/ ... 8-U-TS.htm

Here are some mp3s on Buddhism and the eight fold path.

http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/basic. ... -MAR03.mp3

Here is one of Buddha’s sermons put to music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D644BWAU ... 2&index=19
Another version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5JAVk3Q ... 2&index=20

More Buddhist music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTsCpIB5 ... 12&index=5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8mWj-qf ... 2&index=21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7GCGp6z ... re=related

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:13 am

Fortunately, there is a remedy for every malady :mrgreen: ... for niggling, there is the ignore list :lol: .... :arrow: enjoy the stay 8)
ashley72 wrote:When you post on a public forum anything can happen... sometimes a big "spiritual ego" can blow in from nowhere and niggle you a bit. :D

The same website you copied the picture from, ironically, has some good tips (How to end spiritual ego: 7 easy tips):

http://www.gurutalks.com/2010/07/how-to ... easy-tips/

(5) Do you give unsolicited advices?
If you are addicted to give unsolicited advices; just think: why do you give? What make you cause this? What do you want to prove? These three questions will lead you to introspection; may be, you will find out – all the things which you wanted to make improve within you, besides doing for yourself you are doing for others.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:26 pm

You can't control feedback you get, what comes is allowed already.

You've been asking some questions in your posts... So you get responses not always from the people you want or the response you desire.

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:40 am

The story behind the photo

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/india/trave ... cles/75949

An angry sadhu shouting at the pilgrims for not giving him enough alms at the famous Gangasagar Fair, West Bengal, India, by Tuhin De.

Tells the whole story of fake spirituality in one picture worth a thousand words

A warning to all who are in this forum looking for "spiritual" self-aggrandizement (through preaching, unsolicited "advice", holier than thou attitude, put downs, and name calling):

YOU WILL BE IGNORED

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:49 pm

There is probably a great benefit to those indirect paths like practicing daily meditation, developing generosity or trying to live a moral live. After three month for some, or 30 years for others, one may arrive at a point where it is seen that all those practices lead to nowhere and have been a total waste of time concerning awakening.

In that mind might finally give up hope to find resolution to the personal dilemma and give in to a greater truth. It may as well take up another pratice for another 30 years though. One might argue why not skip the 30 years of useless pratice and surrender immediatly? Probably because surrender is nothing mind can do but something that happens despite the mind when hope is lost and it is seen that all attemps to succeed on a personal level will inevitably end up in failure.
Who am I without my story?

mystic1715

Post by mystic1715 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:43 pm

The reason you have to spend so many hours meditating is to build the necessary neural pathways to make enlightenment possible. Science has now proven that experienced meditators have restructured brains that do not exist in normal people. The reason for morality can be seen by calling it the practice of “skillful actions”. You practice acting skillfully in the world to make yourself harmless and get along with your neighbors, which bring the peace and stability in your life necessary to meditate. If you are at war all day with people, you are not in the position where meditation will even be possible. So “skillful behavior” is a prerequisite. If you take intoxicants, you will not have the clarity of mind necessary to investigate your mind. So keeping a clear mind is necessary. Generosity is a practice that creates greater peace in the mind and also rewires circuits to move beyond the ego.

The Zen master says that you are already enlightened. But, you may not have noticed that the Zen Master who told you that, himself has spent 30 years meditating. You can achieve an instant of enlightenment, but only after your mind is prepared. If you ask an expert ice skater how to skate, she will say, it is easy, just get onto the ice and imagine you are floating on the ice. So, you try to do the same thing and fall on your ass. What she didn’t tell you is that she has been practicing every day since she was six years old to develop her bodily and mental coordination. So she has developed the skills to be able to make it look effortless. So yes, it can happen in an instant, after you have expended considerable effort to achieve the conditions making it possible.

Here is a summary of the current state of the art by a teacher who has achieved these states and so can talk about them.

Enlightenment Maps and Models

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whnGgq4O3jM

An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox.
- Lao Tzu

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:08 am

Damnit Ash, if you are going to insist on posting these spy-shots of me at least have the decency to show the whole frame!

Hey mystic, I like to meditate also ... now comparing my little home-grown practice to Vispanessa is, of course, beyond laughable ... but I will throw out this question ... is some sort of identification indicated by a failure to recognize the opposite truth embodied by the seeming indictment of all practice such as? :
Plorel wrote:There is probably a great benefit to those indirect paths like practicing daily meditation, developing generosity or trying to live a moral live. After three month for some, or 30 years for others, one may arrive at a point where it is seen that all those practices lead to nowhere and have been a total waste of time concerning awakening.

In that mind might finally give up hope to find resolution to the personal dilemma and give in to a greater truth. It may as well take up another pratice for another 30 years though. One might argue why not skip the 30 years of useless pratice and surrender immediatly? Probably because surrender is nothing mind can do but something that happens despite the mind when hope is lost and it is seen that all attemps to succeed on a personal level will inevitably end up in failure.

Read through Plorel's posts and you'll find quite a bit of stillness and void. A recurring theme in several threads on the forum is the complete lack of any need for any type of practice whatsoever. My mind thinks it can grasp why this is ( :lol: ) ... and yet, as I mentioned, I certainly do meditate, and while I don't think about why I do this I feel the difference when I do and when I don't.

Does this provoke any thought on your part?

Namaste,

Bill
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

mystic1715

Post by mystic1715 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:36 am

snowheight wrote:Damnit Ash, if you are going to insist on posting these spy-shots of me at least have the decency to show the whole frame!

Hey mystic, I like to meditate also ... now comparing my little home-grown practice to Vispanessa is, of course, beyond laughable ... but I will throw out this question ... is some sort of identification indicated by a failure to recognize the opposite truth embodied by the seeming indictment of all practice such as? :
Plorel wrote:There is probably a great benefit to those indirect paths like practicing daily meditation, developing generosity or trying to live a moral live. After three month for some, or 30 years for others, one may arrive at a point where it is seen that all those practices lead to nowhere and have been a total waste of time concerning awakening.

Read through Plorel's posts and you'll find quite a bit of stillness and void. A recurring theme in several threads on the forum is the complete lack of any need for any type of practice whatsoever. My mind thinks it can grasp why this is ( :lol: ) ... and yet, as I mentioned, I certainly do meditate, and while I don't think about why I do this I feel the difference when I do and when I don't.

Does this provoke any thought on your part?

Namaste,

Bill
I’m not saying anything bad about other practices. If it is working for you then great. I am even open minded about Tolle’s enlightenment. The video I posted in my last post talked about some of these issues. Some people meditate for 30 years and get nothing and others get into deep states relatively quickly. We have no idea about all of the conditions of someone else including their past karma. What matters to us is our conditions. But, breaking the precepts is an important factor that can destroy a meditation practice and just turn it into a huge waste of time.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 am

Ha, ha... the mischievous leprechaun is back! :D

surfingisfun

Post by surfingisfun » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:56 am

Good question. I wonder the same. In enlightenment are there still individual souls?