The uselessness of attachments

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
alex

The uselessness of attachments

Post by alex » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:45 am

Heya guys, just thought I would share a little realisation I had recently. When in the shower last night (odd these places that realisations hit us huh?) it became very clear to me that paradoxically the very best you can do for someone is to reliquish all mental and emotional attachments you have for them. It really is a case of if you love something set it free. When you have mental attachments to people, you project on to them, limit them in some way. By just being with someone and seeing with clarity what they truly are and where they are truly at you give them permission to also just be. There is an outward flow of unattached (true) love and attention.
Hmmm. The ego would scare the shit out of you about how wrong it is to let go of close personal attachments but it really is the birth of a much more wholseome and giving relationship.

Maiken

Re: The uselessness of attachments

Post by Maiken » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Alex,

You are absolutely right! Seems to me that presence has given me "fresh" relationships as well. Funny how you can even look at your parents in a different way when there is not the whole history coming into every moment. It is so wonderful.

By the way, I love your picture :)

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:53 pm

Giving the world and everyone in it the freedom to be exactly as they are is one of the greatest gifts one can present to the world. In a society where almost everyone is constantly trying to impress their self-image upon the world, meeting someone who has let go is a real blessing.

Thank you for your post : )
Who am I without my story?

Elle

Post by Elle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanx for the reminder Alex!!!!

@Plorel, your signature is just what I needed to contemplate on :)

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:47 pm

I don't know anything about relationships since I am too ugly, but I love some people in different ways and have to let go of my emotions sometimes because they serve no purpose. It's like being hungry in a place with no food, useless.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Blenderhead wrote:I don't know anything about relationships since I am too ugly, but I love some people in different ways and have to let go of my emotions sometimes because they serve no purpose. It's like being hungry in a place with no food, useless.
If physical appearance is not your gift then it need not be a distraction in expressing other gifts inherent within you. We can pine away for what's not, or we can enjoy what is. One path leads to fulfillment the other to suffering. Everyone has the potential to express their true beauty of spirit. Know the truth in your essence and appearances will matter little.

WW

eurovillle_was_nice

Post by eurovillle_was_nice » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Blenderhead wrote:I don't know anything about relationships since I am too ugly, but I love some people in different ways and have to let go of my emotions sometimes because they serve no purpose. It's like being hungry in a place with no food, useless.
Though example, I love that!

Tell me about your mind monologue, when you want something /one badly!

I have had similar challenges when I was young and still have momentum in me when it comes to vanity!

eurovillle_was_nice

Post by eurovillle_was_nice » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:14 pm

alex wrote:Heya guys, just thought I would share a little realisation I had recently. When in the shower last night (odd these places that realisations hit us huh?) it became very clear to me that paradoxically the very best you can do for someone is to reliquish all mental and emotional attachments you have for them. It really is a case of if you love something set it free. When you have mental attachments to people, you project on to them, limit them in some way. By just being with someone and seeing with clarity what they truly are and where they are truly at you give them permission to also just be. There is an outward flow of unattached (true) love and attention.
Hmmm. The ego would scare the shit out of you about how wrong it is to let go of close personal attachments but it really is the birth of a much more wholseome and giving relationship.

Why do that Alex? I don´t think freedom is better than attachment. Do you?

;)

A bit of provocation, from "Agent Provocateour"

love

Nick

surfingisfun

Post by surfingisfun » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:57 pm

So very true. Good words.

alex

Post by alex » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:36 am

Nope, my mind usually doesnt think that freedom is better... I experience the old velcro thoughts quite often but I see through them mostly and the sting is less and less...
Why do that Alex?
Alls I know is I really dont know, cant stop this once its begun I dont think!

nanashi

Post by nanashi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Sometimes I like to play the bad guy :twisted:

What happens when you are on the receiving end of attachment? When someone is so mentally and emotionally attached to you, you sense that almost all action/non-action will cause a reaction of said person? What do you do if someone you love develops a mental addiction for you?
Be water, my friend.

eurovillle_was_nice

Post by eurovillle_was_nice » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 pm

alex wrote:
Nope, my mind usually doesnt think that freedom is better... I experience the old velcro thoughts quite often but I see through them mostly and the sting is less and less...
Why do that Alex?
Alls I know is I really dont know, cant stop this once its begun I dont think!
Well... cool !

I´m not sure sure I know how that "feels", it´s like this for me: "...oops I got sucked into attachment there, never mind it´s not important"

You mean like that ?

PS: Can´t stop what ?

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:45 am

Alex that is a very nice pic of you and your little boy. He is adorable.

Natalie

alex

Post by alex » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:40 am

The awakening process... the drive for the truth.

Thanks Nat, it's my favourite photo of us :) He's a bit of a cutie hey. It's so nice being able to spend so much time with such an innocent being, we have lots of laughs. xx

eurovillle_was_nice

Post by eurovillle_was_nice » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 pm

alex wrote:
The awakening process... the drive for the truth.
Have a nice trip Alex.

ET even considered suicide, I´m pretty sure that intensity is needed to reach breakout velocity, but who´s to tell right?

attachements will work against your process for sure.