The Now

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
alex

The Now

Post by alex » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 am

Hey guys,
I just felt like posting a post about the simplest thing. About the Now. It seems a lot of us get so sidetracked with all kinds of crazy ideas and concepts. All related, I guess, to believing (however consciously) that there is some state to avoid, some state to attain or that we are evolving or changing or growing. Basically just caught up in the story of 'me' I guess.
My own mind has sent me down so many paths of believing this or that, that I'm getting somewhere, that I'm changing, that I need to change, that I don't want to change... etc. etc. All distracting me from the most obvious and simple thing. Eckharts main and most simple teaching. The Now.
There is nowhere to go, there is nothing to change. All you need do is put your awareness on this moment. It's right here, just in front of you. This view before your eyes. The totality of this view, not a particular thing within it. Just this now, the reality before your very eyes.
This is the main teaching! Don't forget to apply it. When your focus has left time, has left the ego, and is resting in this very moment it is so much easier to become aware of awareness. To notice your own beingness. To feel You, Youness! You are the goal, You are the answer. Your very being.
With time (hehe) we are able to rest here, in this beingness for long and longer. The borders begin to dissolve between 'us' and the rest of life. We begin to become aligned with what is. With what we are doing, with what we are seeing and hearing. A beautiful connectedness becomes apparant. The absolute sacredness and beauty of nature shines through.
Sure it is a rocky road at times when the ego takes over again but don't forget how SIMPLE it is to bring your focus back to this very moment where your own beautiful beingness becomes apparant.
Dont forget the NOW!!!!

Ziendus

Re: The Now

Post by Ziendus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:54 am

" Jai ! Jai ! Jai ! "

(Yoga-Vasishta)
---ooOoo---

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Beautiful reminder...
The borders begin to dissolve between 'us' and the rest of life
That is grace. It is something that happens beyond the mind and despite the mind. Fortunately its seems to be available for those who are open to it :)
Who am I without my story?

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:31 pm

alex wrote: There is nowhere to go, there is nothing to change. All you need do is put your awareness on this moment. It's right here, just in front of you. This view before your eyes. The totality of this view, not a particular thing within it. Just this now, the reality before your very eyes.
This is the main teaching! Don't forget to apply it. When your focus has left time, has left the ego, and is resting in this very moment it is so much easier to become aware of awareness. To notice your own beingness. To feel You, Youness! You are the goal, You are the answer. Your very being.
Beautifully put Alex.

Of course, the obvious reaction by the mind is "... well, what if my NOW sucks?!?"

I'll let Eckhart answer this:

If you cannot be present even in normal circumstances, such as when you are sitting alone in a room, walking in the woods or listening to someone, then you certainly won't be able to stay conscious when something "goes wrong" or you are faced with difficult people or situations, with loss or the threat of loss. You will be taken over by a reaction, which ultimately is always some form of fear, and pulled into deep unconsciousness. Those challenges are your tests. Only the way in which you deal with them will show you and others where you are at as far as your state of consciousness is concerned, not how long you can sit with your eyes closed or what visions you see.

So it is essential to bring more consciousness into your life in ordinary situation when everything is going relatively smoothly. In this way, you grow in presence power. It generates an energy field in you and around you of a high vibrational frequency. No unconsciousness, no negativity, no discord or violence can enter that field and survive, just as darkness cannot survive in the presence of light.

TPON, chapter 4 para's 12 and 13

The first time I read this my suspension of disbelief around the terms "energy field" and "vibrational frequency" was suffused with a mirthful condescension. I don't have any specific definition for those terms and I know that they don't have the same meanings in that text as used by scientists and engineers but that doesn't matter to me any more.
Last edited by snowheight on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 am

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it Alex. Snow, I had totally forgotten that powerful part of TPN that you quoted. Thanks for posting that. It’s so damn easy to lose sight of that, way too easy. There was a period in my life when I gave my fullest attention to the present moment because I ‘knew’ my entire life journey ultimately consisted of that one thing I was doing at that specific moment. I gave my fullest attention to whatever the moment required of me, for hours at a time, day after day, and in doing so my life began to flow in the same direction as the Universe. All resistance was dropped. I felt peace and experienced unimaginable freedom from suffering during this period.

This ‘knowledge’ has somehow lost its ability to engage my attention. I no longer sense its pressing urgency. These days, I find myself becoming aware that I have been totally unaware or unconscious for hours, even days. There is a constant influx of distractions which, time after time, manage to bury me deeper and deeper in the illusion of me and my life situations. What the ‘future’ holds for me depends on my state of consciousness now. I can’t afford to forget this for extended periods of time, yet I do.

Threads like this one bring my feet back to the ground again. Thanks folks.
Natalie

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:58 am

That is grace. It is something that happens beyond the mind and despite the mind. Fortunately its seems to be available for those who are open to it
Nice noticing Plorel.

I had a 'funny' incident this weekend that made me think about the 'now' / grace too. A friend of my partner's was over and making all sorts of judgements about everything, past, future, not within her ability to respond. Others were joining in and my partner turned to me and said 'Do you think like that?'. I pondered the (hehe me=nothingness) notion, found nothing in response to her sharing of her experiences of things and said "I don't think I think about that at all, ....I don't think (?)"

It was funny-tingly in its innocence. It reminded me of how lovely-warm-tingly I felt the day before doing Tai Chi with pure attention. It just is.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen