Textual Confirmation Mod

Textual Confirmation Mod

Postby erict » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:51 pm

I've installed the textual confirmation mod. It is an additional question that must be answered correctly upon registration. This is supposed to prevent bots from registering and posting spam.

Since this involved altering some files, it may affect the operation of the forum. If you notice any bugs, any problems, please let me know!
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby mccpcorn » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Brilliant! Now mebbe we can view some proper topics instead of having half the page taken up by 'See Britney Bald!' threads... O_o

Though why anyone would want to is beyond me.

(To see Britney bald, not post threads.)
mccpcorn

Postby erict » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:00 pm

In less than 24 hours since I have installed the mod, it has stopped a little over 50 spam bot registrations! 8)
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby eseward » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:03 pm

Beautiful! :)
eseward

Postby heidi » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:31 pm

As one who has spent more time deleting spam posts than reading real posts lately, I salute you, Eric! :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby erict » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:37 pm

I've been thinking about installing that mod for a long time... and you know how I am. Also, I hate to mess with the code of phpBB. As long as it works, better not touch anything. :D But I could no longer do nothing when it got so bad, especially considering I am not even the one who deletes most of the spam posts, but you and Kiki.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Return to News and Announcements