You are the "Still Point" of the turning world.

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

You are the "Still Point" of the turning world.

Postby ashley72 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Watch YouTube Video => You are the "still point" of the turning world

These quotes below by well known spiritual masters... point directly at this first person seeing described in the video by Richard Lang. It's really that simple! Just take a fresh look.... and watch how quickly strongly held beliefs can melt before your eyes!

The Quth (Pole) is he who turns round himself; round him is the revolution of the heavenly spheres.  Rumi

Why do you think that you are active? Take the gross example of your arrival here. You left home in a cart, took train, alighted at the railway station here, got into a cart there and found yourself in this Ashraman. When asked, you say you travelled all the way here from your town. Is it true? Is it not a fact that you remained as you were and there were movements… all along the way? Just as those movements are confounded with your own, so also the other activities. They are not your own.  Ramana Maharshi

The outward man is the swinging door; the inner man is the still hinge.  Eckhart

Watch another YouTube video => Totally still at Centre
ashley72

Re: You are the "Still Point" of the turning world.

Postby Ralph » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:48 am

Thanks ashley for that.
We lose site of our 'Still Point' when we are lost on the merry-go-round of life. How many spins will it take before we had enough ?

Here is an artist that has found his 'Still Point' before he was shot to death and in this song , in my opinion, is saying the same thing as what these spiritual teachers you mention are saying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MmCMPqK9v0
Ralph

Postby snowheight » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:25 am

Love that song Ralph ... in a way that I'm unable to express.

Ashley, forgive me if you've pointed this out before, but no matter how fast a wheel is spinning, the center is always completely still.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby ashley72 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:30 am

Ralph wrote:Thanks ashley for that.
We lose site of our 'Still Point' when we are lost on the merry-go-round of life. How many spins will it take before we had enough ?

Here is an artist that has found his 'Still Point' before he was shot to death and in this song , in my opinion, is saying the same thing as what these spiritual teachers you mention are saying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MmCMPqK9v0

Wow, thanks for sharing. :D Yes. John Lennon... His music is great for the soul.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:35 am

snowheight wrote:Ashley, forgive me if you've pointed this out before, but no matter how fast a wheel is spinning, the center is always completely still.

Hi Bill,

That hadn't cross my mind. But that's a really good example. :D
ashley72

Postby Dohjo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:49 pm

I have a bit of hard time comprehending the example. Is he just trying to make the point that nothing is ever permanent? Because I see his point about of everything disappearing into space behind you. But, not to sound pessimistic, is only because we don't have eyes in our backhead.

Can someone explain it to me :)
Dohjo

Postby ashley72 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Dohjo,

There is no denying that others see you have a body... and that others see you moving through a world. But is that our direct experience at zero distance (at centre)? Not at a distance of 1 metre.

Did you know Atoms are 99.9% empty space (To give you a sense of how empty an atom is - if the nucleus was the size of a football, the nearest electron would be half a mile (0.8km) away.). The body is made up of atoms. So if you tried to examine the body with an atom probe you would see a lot of empty space.

BTW, the purpose here is to take a fresh look "directly" at your experience. What you see looking inwards at the first person. What do you see when you turn the arrow of attention back 180 degrees to where the head/face reside? Do you see a solid head? I don't. I see empty space. Sure I can touch the area around my face with my finger and I can feel sense perceptions. But do those sensations feel like a solid head? It's very important to do all these experiments without thinking about it. You just need to do these experiments like it's the first time looking.... Like the wonderment of a child experiencing everything for the first time. Mainly because we are strongly attached to our beliefs. To challenge beliefs you have to look directly.... without a pre-existing concept of what you think "exists". Eckhart tolle often refers to this as our "mental conditioning"... We are strongly conditioned to believing we have a head/face. But I can assure you... Because I have looked directly. You won't perceive one directly at centre. I see a head/face only when im looking in a reflection. Which is my head/face at a distance not at Centre.

Here's another video worth watching. Which may help. Again dont think about it. You really must try these experiments. It's the only way old conditioning can be challenged.

Stepping into the void
ashley72

Postby Dohjo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks for clarification. Makes more sense now
Dohjo

Postby goldieflower » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:35 pm

ashley72 wrote:

Did you know Atoms are 99.9% empty space (To give you a sense of how empty an atom is - if the nucleus was the size of a football, the nearest electron would be half a mile (0.8km) away.). The body is made up of atoms. So if you tried to examine the body with an atom probe you would see a lot of empty space.

Thank you for that link, Ashley.

Thinking about atoms gets my atoms all excited. Space, the final frontier. We are space.

http://videosift.com/video/The-Illusion-Of-Reality
goldieflower

Postby ashley72 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 am

goldieflower wrote:Thinking about atoms gets my atoms all excited. Space, the final frontier. We are space.

http://videosift.com/video/The-Illusion-Of-Reality

Hi Goldieflower,

Thanks for that video... I watched the entire episode. Really informative. The most interesting part for me... was about Casimir Effect (Video) or Zero Point Energy (Vacuum Energy).

We can only wonder what kind of role these "quantum energy fluctuations" might play in respect to the dynamic aspect of Consciousness.

"According to quantum theory, the vacuum contains neither matter nor energy, but it does contain fluctuations, transitions between something and nothing in which potential existence can be transformed into real existence by the addition of energy.(Energy and matter are equivalent, since all matter ultimately consists of packets of energy.) Thus, the vacuum's totally empty space is actually a seething turmoil of creation and annihilation, which to the ordinary world appears calm because the scale of fluctuations in the vacuum is tiny and the fluctuations tend to cancel each other out."

Here are some wonderful quotes from spiritual masters which mirror the same truth...

Intrinsically dead, I live. Intrinsically nonexistent, I AM. I come home to my Centre here, only to find it exploding into infinite space. I come home to my Centre now, only to find it exploding into infinite time. D.E. Harding

And another...

The Universe is merely a mode of the mind. Those liberated beings are surely immortal who are identified with Reality -- which is self-luminous, and which needs no support for Its existence, but which cognizes both existence and non-existence. Ashtavakra Gita
ashley72

Return to Recommended Links