The self illusion

Post links to sites, web pages, videos, etc.
Forum rules
No links to copyrighted materials.

The self illusion

Postby runstrails » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:28 am

Prof. Bruce Hood (a developmental cognitive neuroscientist) has written an book that deconstructs the notion of the self. Its called the 'The Self Illusion'. Here he summarizes the main points in a nice 30 minute talk. http://brucemhood.wordpress.com/2012/09 ... mment-7103
I enjoyed the comments posted below on the blog about this talk and his responses to them as well. I think us ET types should resonate nicely with this.
runstrails

Re: The self illusion

Postby karmarider » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks for posting the link. I haven't read his book. I browsed through the website, and here's what I think is a good summary of what he's saying: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... f-illusion
karmarider

Re: The self illusion

Postby ashley72 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:25 am

Thanks Trails for sharing this video. I enjoyed reading.

Thanks karmarider for the webpage link as well. I enjoyed the written version.

I found this finding worth posting:

As artists, illusionists, movie makers, and more recently experimental psychologists have repeatedly shown, conscious experience is highly manipulatable and context dependent. Our memories are also largely abstracted reinterpretations of events – we all hold distorted memories of past experiences. ~ Bruce Hood Ph.D

and this...

I think it helps to compare the experience of self to subjective contours – illusions such as the Kanizsa pattern where you see an invisible shape that is really defined entirely by the surrounding context. People understand that it is a trick of the mind but what they may not appreciate is that the brain is actually generating the neural activation as if the illusory shape was really there. In other words, the brain is hallucinating the experience. There are now many studies revealing that illusions generate brain activity as if they existed. They are not real but the brain treats them as if they were. ~ Bruce Hood Ph.D
ashley72

Return to Recommended Links